I don't think I like the new PetSmart

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They just opened a Petsmart in Manchester. I prefer to shop at my Pet Quarters (a small New England chain - not as much of a selection, but I know everyone and they know me - and my kids.) Also, they work with Animal Allies and adopt cats out of their store. I don't think that you can get away from people bringing their dogs in, although I don't really understand that either. They have a nice newsletter that keeps me posted on new lines that they carry, etc!

squatting puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anywho, You don't have to worry about me taking up the handicap spot.. I always park in the back (You end up getting in the store before the people who are driving around finding a "close" spot most of the time. And it's healthier for you anyway
)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to PetsMart's dog policy, I was able to get a sweet 20% extra off an already deeply discounted giant cat condo - it is as tall and as wide as a refridgerator - because a guy had let his ankle-biter dog pee all over the base of it. So I got a $300 condo for $130!

So I say, let the dogs in - I'll take advantage of that where I can!!!

I went to both PetsMart and Petco yesterday, and walked out of Petco without buying a thing - the prices in there were close to double what PetsMart charges for some items, especially the wet food.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Thanks to PetsMart's dog policy, I was able to get a sweet 20% extra off an already deeply discounted giant cat condo - it is as tall and as wide as a refridgerator - because a guy had let his ankle-biter dog pee all over the base of it. So I got a $300 condo for $130!
EEEEEEW!
How did you get that out? That's a pretty good deal though.

Our Petco has had awesome sale prices on Friskies and FF lately. I almost fell over when I saw Target had FF Medleys for 69 cents though.
Those are never that cheap! My cats are back on a FF and Friskies kick lately.
But as long as Raven eats, I don't care.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally shop at Pet Supplies Plus in my area (only place that carries Chicken Soup) I will go to Petsmart once in awhile and never go to Petco... these 3 stores are all within one square mile of each other too!!
I usually buy my litter from Target, just cause I'm there anyway

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I try not to shop at neither PetCo nor PetSmart since I started keeping fish. I give most of my pet business to reputable local stores or online stores. The only reason I go to PetSmart and PetCo is if they have an absolutely irresitable sale on food or litter, or that time I adopted my little black kitty from a rescue that was having an adoption day. I'd rather give my business to a local store that hires knowledgeable employees and to get the person-to-person "I actually care about your business" feeling.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As with any franchise, it's most likely your experiences will be directly related to the personality of the Manager/owner and the employees of your local store. To say a whole store or franchise is bad because of the actions/non-actions of one particular store is rather unfair to say the least. If I have a bad experience at a KFC that doesn't mean that all KFC's are bad.

One poster mentioned that they didn't understand why anyone would want to take their cat to one of these places anyway. Well, I just have to say our cats love going out with us. We have a little carry pouch for Mika and she loves to sit in there while we shop. She doesn't try to jump out and she doesn't freak out. She loves people coming up to pet her. Bijou is a bit more shy but as long as he has his harness and leash on, he loves to roam the aisles sniffing and checking things out. Our cats have been going out to the stores (hardware, library, Home Sense, Canadian Tire, etc.) with us since they were babies. They are completely comfortable in the car. As soon as Bijou gets in the car he goes into the back and lays down on the back seat.

I appreciate that not all cats are like this and it would be very traumatic for some but I just wanted to point out that taking the cats out with you isn't always bad.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CheshireCat

That could be the subject of another post because I just don't understand why people want to bring their dogs out shopping. It must just be the difference between dog and cat people. I would never dream of bringing Chester to the pet store to shop with me. In the first place he would be petrified. Second he would probably want to buy more stuff than I do.
I'm sorry to hear about your experience. As others have said, it will die down. When the local Petsmart opened here it was crazy! But now you can shop in a relaxed atmosphere.
But...
I do bring my dog with. As another person mentioned it is great socialization! My girl has her CGC (for the non-dog people, it's a certificate that is awarded by the AKC after your dog passes a Canine Good Citizen evaluation) and we are working toward her first Obedience title, so being able to go Petsmart/Petco with her is very beneficial to our training.
I too used to be highly annoyed by "crazy dog lovers" and I will always be a cat person, but now that I have been owned and loved by a dog, I understand dogs better and have much more patience and understanding.
Please visit Petsmart again in a few months, I'm sure you will have a better experience.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

EEEEEEW!
How did you get that out? That's a pretty good deal though.
I called over an employee (he had to help load it into my truck anyway) and they used an enzymatic spray and cleaned it all up for me before I paid for it.

I used to prefer to go to Pet Supplies Plus, but they closed the one in my town and the next closest is more than 25 miles away - not worth the gas cost to drive there!