"I don't like cats"

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you've been adopted!

I've always been a cat person. My dad was a cat person, so we always had anywhere from 1-6 cats at home (mom was not happy about that but it was 2 against 1, hehe) , and my husband is a total cat person (I told him I wouldn't have married him if he didn't like cats!)

I think if your cat starts out very sociable and friendly, she will always be that way. Your friends cats probably just happened not to be "people kitties". Pandora runs for the hills when anyone comes in. Thor just swaggers up to them like "Hi, how you doin' - got any food?"
Just depends on their personality.

I wish you and Ally many wonderful, prosperous years together!!

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can totally relate to your post! I have always thought of myself as a "dog person." To me, cats were "okay." I was basically neutral about them unless they were the mean type that you described. I didn't like that kind at all. But, much like some others here, I am a single woman who works an 8 to 5 job and a dog just wasn't feasible. Then, I met the most perfect cat for me, Bodhi. He is everything I thought cats weren't... affectionate, loving, sweet-natured, calm, gentle, and loyal. He totally changed my attitude towards cats!! And now I have another love-bug, Siddha, who is exactly the same just in kitten form.

I'm so glad you found your sweet kitty! And I am sure she's glad she found you. It's great isn't it!!

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even believe in cat person vs. dog person. I am an animal person. I like both cats and dogs equally and same with any other animal. I can never understand how someone can like cats but not like dogs..this just doesn't make sense to me .

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LawGuy

"I don't like cats" - ... I didn't like cats, but I couldn't let a kitten die. ....

I no longer dislike cats...... I like both dogs and cats. My dog is my favorite dog in the world, and Ally is now my favorite cat in the world.

It's amazing how life sometimes throws curveballs at you that changes things quickly. ......
This is a sweet story and I think shows a natural progression that often happens when a person who thinks they don't like cats, but have never had a cat as a pet, for one reason or another finds themselves with a cat and as they get to know their cat, their feelings change. Cats chose to live with humans, unlike most other domestic animals. Therefore cats know now to worm their way into your heart if they really want to. They don't always want to, which is also different than the normal dog. In fact, I think that in most cases you have to EARN their affection. Rescuing a kitten's life certainly qualifies.

LawGuy - I hope you continue to like BOTH dogs and cats, but I think you'll find that as you and your kitty get to know each other better, what you feel for your cat in the way of affection now is nothing as compared to what you'll feel several years from now.

Best wishes, good luck, and cats everywhere thank you.