I don't know what's wrong with my kitty. Please help.

lovemycats47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat looks like she has a difficult time swallowing. Kind of like its painful for her. And sometimes when laying down and sleeping all of a sudden she rubs her nose like crazy and sneezes. She has been difficulty swallowing since last night. She is eating and drinking though. I tried to see the vet today but he was booked out. Do you think this is something serious? She is 13 Years old.
Any help and suggestions on what to do is greatly appreciated.
By the way, I am taking her to vet first thing Monday morning. But I am so worried about her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is she doing with the litterbox? Is she still urinating and defecating as normal? Is she still active as normal or has she become lethargic?

You say she's sneezing and rubbing her eye. I'm wondering if she's possibly coughing??

Have you tried opening her mouth and seeing if you can see anything?

Do you have an emergency vet nearby? If you're extremely concerned, and you think she's in stress, then by all means, take her in!

Stephanie

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That sounds like a nasty cold!! If kitty is really having a hard time swallowing I would try to call the ER vet! You never know what that could be... Good luck and keep us posted!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemycats47

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has been sleeping all day today. But that doesn't mean anything. My little girl always sleeps. I don't think she went to the bathroom today. She might have, I am not sure. I want to check her throat but how do you open her mouth and what should I be looking for?

marysmith

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree you should get her to the vet. Most vets allow for ER visits between their regular appts. If not, get her to an ER vet.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since you indicated she hasn't pottied all day and just slept, I'd say she's sick and needs to go to the vet ASAP. Call your local vet's office. They probably have a number of an emergency vet for you to contact. If not, look in the phone book or online.

Keep us posted!

Stephanie