I don’t know whats wrong with my cat :(

saifrzqh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has been scrubbing its paw against its mouth for the past 3 days, and shaking its head vigorously while sorta chewing the air, idk how else to describe it, its as if something is stuck in her mouth or teeth.

She hasn’t been eating well the past 3 days and doesn’t even want her treats. The link to the video below is what she is doing everyday almost all day now whenever I see her sitting down.

I would appreciate any help at all!
Thank you for your time.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely need to take her to your Vet.
Send the video to your Vet, and bring it to them also...so they can see what's happening.

Could be anything.
It looks like either Dental issues or perhaps nasal polyps/issues. Even upper respiratory infection.
Does she drool, at all?
Bad breath smell?
Eye discharge?
How old is she?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like she is having trouble with her teeth, like they are hurting her. Is she an older girl?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saifrzqh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You definitely need to take her to your Vet.
Send the video to your Vet, and bring it to them also...so they can see what's happening.

Could be anything.
It looks like either Dental issues or perhaps nasal polyps/issues. Even upper respiratory infection.
Does she drool, at all?
Bad breath smell?
Eye discharge?
How old is she?
Thank you for your prompt response! Sincerely appreciated :)
She doesnt drool, no bad breath smell, her eyes do collect alot of water but they always have since she was a kitten. She is 8 years old.
Best Regards,
Saif

saifrzqh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks like she is having trouble with her teeth, like they are hurting her. Is she an older girl?
She is 8 years old, is that a thing with cats this age?
Thank you :)

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Short-muzzled breeds are particularly prone to issues with the teeth, sadly. I agree with everyone above, it’s definitely worth seeing a vet and having her checked out.

saifrzqh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Short-muzzled breeds are particularly prone to issues with the teeth, sadly. I agree with everyone above, it’s definitely worth seeing a vet and having her checked out.
Incidentally, we put a collar around her neck for the first time in her life around 5 days ago, do you think there is any relation whatsoever?

best regards,
Saif

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your prompt response! Sincerely appreciated :)
She doesnt drool, no bad breath smell, her eyes do collect alot of water but they always have since she was a kitten. She is 8 years old.
Best Regards,
Saif
Hi Saif, yes, dental issues could happen at any age...but as cats get older...it's best to get Vet check ups to rule out any issues...and to prevent further ones from happening.
(Not sure, but there does seem to be an association with dental issues and kidney disease, or other diseases (heart), too,...so best to get that checked.)

Does she let you open her mouth to look at her teeth and gums.?
Try to take some photos for yourself, too,...to see if any redness around the gum line is present...or any ulcers, mouth abscesses, foreign objects, food particles, etc, too.
I did read on this Site, that persian breeds do sometimes develop nasal polyps, too. (I just cannot find the thread that I read it in.)

I don't think the collar would have affected her mouth, unless it somehow slipped off and slipped around her mouth and damaged some teeth.

Sending you all the best health wishes, and do get her checked out at your Vets...especially since it is affecting her eating, as well.:bluepaw:
(she is a beautiful, by the way.)

Last edited:

saifrzqh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Saif, yes, dental issues could happen at any age...but as cats get older...it's best to get Vet check ups to rule out any issues...and to prevent further ones from happening.
(Not sure, but there does seem to be an association with dental issues and kidney disease, or other diseases (heart), too,...so best to get that checked.)

Does she let you open her mouth to look at her teeth and gums.?
Try to take some photos for yourself, too,...to see if any redness around the gum line is present...or any ulcers, mouth abscesses, foreign objects, food particles, etc, too.
I did read on this Site, that persian breeds do sometimes develop nasal polyps, too. (I just cannot find the thread that I read it in.)

I don't think the collar would have affected her mouth, unless it somehow slipped off and slipped around her mouth and damaged some teeth.

Sending you all the best health wishes, and do get her checked out at your Vets...especially since it is affecting her eating, as well.:bluepaw:
C80A9D1B-3EEC-4C0C-8CF9-18B2AFD45DD9.jpeg
Thanks for the advice of taking the picture, I did notice she had this thing on her lower lip and as soon as i touched it she flinched, I will definitely be taking her to the vet. Any idea what it might be though?
Thank you for all the help and have a great rest of your day

saifrzqh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice of taking the picture, I did notice she had this thing on her lower lip and as soon as i touched it she flinched, I will definitely be taking her to the vet. Any idea what it might be though?

Attachments

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't know.
It doesn't look like a rodent ulcer, Eosinophilic granuloma complex, but I've only seen those in photos, and not in real life...so I'm no help here. (With rodent ulcers...they do recommend not to use plastic cat bowls...and only stainless steel bowls.)

Maybe you should create another thread...and just post that photo...and ask if anyone has seen something similar?
Though, with all the different time zones, don't know when people respond.

Could it be her upper teeth are pressing down into her lower lip? Again, I'm sorry I really don't know.
Hope you have a great rest of the day, or night, too.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The dark spot? It could be a normal freckle. Some cats develop freckles on their noses and gums and lips as they age.

Pawing at the mouth is not normal. A vet is needed to check for dental issues or anything wrong with the mouth. Many vets are unfamiliar with dental issues so if your vet just shrugs and sends you on your way with some band aid treatment, take your cat to a veterinary dentist.