I dont know whats wrong with my cat!

sommer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My thoughts are with you. I know what you are going through and if I had known that Sommer (my cat) was going to die I would have had her at home here with me instead of alone at the vets.

My cat just died this morning from Hepatic Lipidosis (fatty liver disease). She was in no pain maybe because it hapened so quickly, she died peacefully in her sleep. She was going to be 3 years old in two weeks. She was probably the runt of the litter (I rescued her when she was 2 weeks old) because she was the size of a 6 month old kitten. The end of January I had taken her for her shots and she was healthy. She weighed 6lbs 3oz. This time last week she was still 6lbs and healthy, running around like a maniac tormenting her brothers. Saturday morning she started having the dry heaves and stopped eating. Monday seemed a little better but still not eating. At the vets late Monday morning she weighed in at 5lbs 2oz. The Dr was concerned, figured it was her liver because she was jaundiced but figured it wasn't so bad considering it had only been 2 days since she stopped eating. It was going to cost us $927 to have her taken care of and she would have had to have a feeding tube for 30+ days. My husband and I weren't sure if we were going to save her or just have her put down since it was a lot of money and we have a new born at home. We decided to have the treatment no matter the cost thinking that since she was only 3 it was worth it because she would be with us for a long time. At 7:00pm Monday night the vet phoned and told me that it didn't look good. She had gotten worse since I had left, her blood pressure dropped so low that they had a hard time getting blood and she ending up passing out on them but he thought he got the IV into her in time. It was decided that we would wait until the morning to make a final desicion regarding her "life" -- tube her or put her down. She made the decsions for us. She passed away this morning around 7:00am. The vet said it was peaceful and she was not in any pain. We assume because she was so small she was unable to fight the disease and that's why it consumed her so quickly. Even the vet was surprised considering 1st off FLD usually happens in obese older cats. There was no reason for her having FLD -- no stress, she loved the baby, not overweight etc. It is just something that happened. It still cost us over $600. The money doesn't matter as much as had I known she was dying I would have had her here at home with us where she was loved, with her favorite things and not alone. Anyway, the meaning for all this ranting is to let you know that sometimes it is better for the animal to die at home -- money isn't always everything.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kereneko

My poor baby has passed on at about 10:30 last night. I know a lot of you seem mad that we didnt take her in. But we did what we could. We loved and cared for her up to her last breath.. and though some may think it was cruel to let her die on her own, we think she was very happy with us just being there by her side. She had a small smile on her face as she passed away. I know she will be loved and cared for by my mom up in heaven. I bet she was missing her kitty.

I guess thanks for the err... support. and sorry to those i made angry with our decision.
i'm so sorry about your cat. i think you are remarkably caring and its seems obvious to me that you loved your cat dearly. the fact you came here looking for help shows that. i feel you did what you could in a very difficult situation.

for you. take care.