I don't know what to feed my kittens/cats anymore!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeding a balanced diet is important, yes! And you're seeking out good foods. Kudos to you! I just wanted to help you see all the options.

You can feed raw as an occasional snack for dental benefits. Also check out sardines packed in water for omegas. It doesn't have to be all or nothing...we humans have things for dinner that we shouldn't and we're still plugging along!

cussypat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The big brands tempt vets to sell their products with weekend breaks and so on. My vet, who sells none and thinks it is all a scam, told me so. They PAY vets to tell you to feed these brands, but they are no better than other brands. Compare the labels.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want them to become overweight or have any diabetes problems so under my budget I try to feed them the best I can but I am probably over obsesing with it lol a new series should be called over obsesive moms!
This is what we all do..the best we can. Your doing just fine by them.

I too became obsessed about my cats food when I first discovered that what I was originally feeding my cats wasn't really the healthiest for them. I then totally delved into any and all food reviews, reading ingredients, ect. I spent a fortune trying to find the "right" wet food my cats WOULD eat. I really was out of control for a bit. Then...I suddenly was unemployed...!! After reading Dr. Pierson's articles on catinfo.org, I took a deep breath and relaxed on it. My cats were at least eating wet, Fancy Feast classics weren't BAD, I could afford to add to the Fancy Feast by Natures 95%. I added a fountain and stepped back and said..They are eating, happy, healthy and this is the best I can do. They still eat Fancy Feast, even though I have added Evo and Wellness into their variety, but I no longer obsess that ALL their diet has to be high end. I avoid foods with any "extras" such as potato, peas, or grains other then an occasional rice, and worry less about an occasional by-product. The treat that I have found to help me introduce a new food is 100% freeze dried chicken. I did take away all dry and put them on scheduled feedings. My male LOVED his dry (sometimes you just have to put your foot down), but was fine without it and is actually eating the wet without leaving any behind now, and all are being less picky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Finally someone who understands me! Yes I feel women today have a lot to worry about it drives us crazy since is our nature to take care of our loved ones. I not only have to worry what to feed my family but my cats too because they are my babies now. And the industry is putting a lot out in the markets that is all junk. For humans and pets..
They ate the wellness kitten food mixed with FF for two days now. I've been giving them the kibble remaining as reward only after they eat their wet food. They are complaining less up to this day although when they hear the sound of a bag still have the hope is kibble.

@cussypat it was not my vet who reccomended the food it was me who researched every website I could find on cat food reviews and nutrition. What I know is a vet is like dr but not a nutritionist. Not all vets know a lot or are trained in animal nutrition.

@peaches08 I know you were trying to help and thank you for your suggestion. Me being in a different economic situation would consider it bettr buying a new freezer because it can be useful for us too. And I've always wanted a grinder.
Thank you!

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Search Craigslist and such...I believe it was LDG who said that she found a chest freezer for $35. She keeps hers outside on a platform with a tarp thrown over it to protect it from the elements. ;)

Last edited:

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So we ran out of all the dry food we had and they had no choice but to eat only wet. They are on a schedule now which means they are more eager to eat when I feed them. I used to leave the dry for the night so they would not stave over the night but poor kittens they had to learn the hard way. Because I didn't find any dry food that convinced me since they are still eating the kitten line.Even the Science diet brand has a lot of things I dont trust feeding my black and my white furry balls.

They did like the wellness kitten so I mix it with the FF for now until they are fully transitioned because its been too much change for them. But is two or three times more expensive :) Do you know if I can buy it in bulks on the internet!

For the ones who reccomended raw. I have read you can order frozen and have it delivered. I live in a city of the big TX where is half city/half country. Some people say go to the butcher and buy him some cuts. Can someone reccomend a seller that specializes on cat food. Like a commercial raw food? It would be a big favor if you include the links where to buy too! I am considering to try over the summer when I have a little more time :)

Thank you everyone for your comments and sharing with me your experience! ;)

panther n river

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seen some change though switching to all wet food! My black kitty's fur looks shinier and my white one is shedding a little less :)

Although he still sheds a lot My big cottonball!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can buy in bulk over the internet. . .there are several sites. I use mainly www.doggiefood.com and www.nationalpetpharmacy.com. A few more are www.chewy.com, www.petflow.com, and www.petfooddirect.com. Check them all out to see who has the best price for your brand, plus, once you sign up with them they e-mail discount codes, so order with whoever has the best discount ;).If you buy the larger cans (12-13 ounces, usually---not all brands/flavors are available in that size, but a fair number of Wellness flavors are. But not the kitten kind :(), it will cost much less per ounce. But make sure your cats are OK with eating reheated food or you'll just end up wasting it.

If you want to go for frozen raw, www.hare-today.com and www.mypetcarnivore.com are a couple of suppliers (they sell ground whole animals; there's a supplement to add to make it balanced for cats). I think www.petfooddirect.com has a frozen raw selection. And www.onlynaturalpet.com definitely has a fine range of choices. But shipping for frozen items isn't cheap :eek:.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could also check into premixes that you just add meat to. Might even be cheaper than buying commercial.

Glad to hear they're doing better!

Last edited:

harleydiva

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you are looking at commercial raw.....check the manufacturers websites for local distributors.  Not sure where you are in TX.....I just checked a couple of sites for someone living in Austin, and found several great sources.

Here is a great site for information:  the page in the link lists some of the bigger commercial raw manufacturers.  

http://feline-nutrition.org/nutrition/easy-raw-feeding-for-the-busy-person