I Dont Know What To Do

KittenRescuer0224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi i had a orange tabby named mase since he was 8 weeks old, he will be 2yrs old on friday. We moved to our new apartment and found that our neighbors cat was an inside/outside cat who had a orange tabby bf she got pregnant and had a litter of just two kittens. I found out my neighbor brought the mom into her home after giving birth leaving the babies alone at just 5 weeks old. I took them in and cared for them theyre currently 6 months old named cleopatra and caeser. On november 4th the mother had given birth to three kittens, i took them in at just 3 weeks old, bottle fed them theyre now 8 weeks old. My bf told me i have too many pets and kept pressuring me to give them away, i do agree i had to many but they were very well taken care of and each had all my love and attention. Yesterday i gave two away and one will be leaving this morning. Im completely devestated and wished i never even considered it, is it completely selfish to text the people who took them and ask for them back? I cannot eat or sleep, im so upset and all i can think of is there meows of stress when the people had taken them. I dont want to make their new owners upset by taking them back but i dont think i could do this. Its too hard.

P.s. ive arranged to fix my neighbors cat as soon as possible

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Parting with kittens you've nurtured is very tough, but it's the responsible thing to do and best for all concerned, including yourself, provided they've gone to good homes. It's not simply a matter of the financial burden having six cats entails, if I'm counting right, but also the stress that puts on all the cats if they have to share an apartment and vie for your time and attention.

Working at a shelter, I've seen too many times how people get in over their heads and become hoarders because their emotions overrule common sense, space, and finances. It's a slippery slope.

Can you keep in touch with the new owners and get regular progress reports? One thing that makes it easier on the people who work at our shelter is a Whats App group we have that adopters are invited to join. They post photos and videos, talk about their new furry family members, and can ask for advice if needed. Some drop out after weeks or months, but others become regular participants. It helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenRescuer0224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All teh new homes had said theyd update me, however people can say anything. I just want them to be happy and think theyd be happier all together they accepted me as mommy cat the vet told me. I almost lost one kitten he only made it because of the bond we have

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have done a great job with these kittens and I think they are where they should be. I know you have bonded with them especially since you took over as their 'mom' but they will bond with their new people as well. The 'bottle babies' do have a special bond with people.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenRescuer0224

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know you guys are right, how long until ill feel good about it though? I really miss them so much. Everything reminds me of them. The fact that one is still in my home, the one i bonded closest with is making it hard i keep telling him im sorry for giving away his brother and sister

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The first few days are the hardest. Once you get through them, you'll be able to concentrate on all the positive aspects of having fostered them, i.e., having helped them to survive and thrive after being abandoned, having socialized them so they're able to reciprocate the love they'll get from their new families.

Kittens are pretty resilient as far as being separated from their mothers and siblings is concerned, as long as they get cuddles and plenty of playtime.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm sure you really did your homework and found a great home for them. They are probably already starting to settle in. Think of it this way, now that you have found them a wonderful home, you have room at your house if the need arises again to help more cats. You would probably feel worse if you found more cats in need and didn't have the space to help them.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We know how you are feeling. Nobody here wants to let any of our little loved ones go.

Try to imagine the love these new families will have with these new animals. And know in your heart you helped make that happen. If you obsessively worry if they are being well taken care of(or that you could be doing a better job),you will be ruining your memories of having had them in your stead. You must trust the new parents will continue the love you started,and let them start their new life with animals that will warm their homes as they did yours.

Be still and know.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Think of it this way, now that you have found them a wonderful home, you have room at your house if the need arises again to help more cats. You would probably feel worse if you found more cats in need and didn't have the space to help them.
This is what I was going to say. Its always hard to let them go; but think of how many more you can help. :hugs: