I don't know what to do with my six month old kitten and my two year old cat!

bartonjj

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I live with my best friend and she adopted a two year old cat who we named Oreo. He is the sweetest most tolerant cat I've ever seen. A week later, Binx, my sixth month old kitten was ready to come home( we saw them at the same time in the shelter, but Binx couldn't go home yet). Day one with Binx was okay, he explored and laid around like we knew he would. He was fine with Oreo, no fighting or hissing, and he'd cuddle with you on the couch. Day two was like Binx was another kitten. He fought with Oreo, which we were ready for, you know, trying to figure out who's dominant. And lately he's gotten worse. He pounces on Oreo and bites his neck, soft at first and then harder until they are rolling around on the floor and won't quit when Oreo runs away. He's drawing blood around Oreos neck and close to his eye. Oreo is at a disadvantage with having been dewclawed before he was put in the shelter. Binx is scheduled for declawing because of the rules of the apartment and he needs it because he scratches everything and everyone, though I hate to do it. We've tried everything and nothing works. We've gotten him to stop biting us when we walk by, but when we pet him, he goes from sweet and cuddly to biting the hell out of us. And we've discovered when he bites he's trying to suckle. The vet stays if he is still doing that at his age it's because he was taken from his mother from too early an age and that's why he hasn't learned when to bite and when not too and may have something to do with his aggressive play with Oreo. We've tried squirting him with a water bottle, we've tried bopping him on the nose, we are even trying putting him in time out and letting him out when he stops whining right now.
Then there's the constant eating and begging for food. We can't leave him alone at all because he jumps up onto the counter and eats, he eats out of the sink, he jumps up onto my dresser and tries to get into my fish tank-- last night we caught him eating the grease out of the pan in the sink. He gets fed three times a day. Once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and when it's time for bed. This has been his schedule since we adopted him. When we eat, he sits right there and mews constantly. We even clean the counters and put up any food left out and he still jumps up. We don't know what to do because he's getting out of hand. He steals food from Oreo and us. If we can't get him and Oreo to play nice, then he's going to have to go back to the shelter and I don't what that to happen because I love my little fuzball!
Any advice would help tremendously!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I think you would be better off getting an older cat who is already declawed. Even though you love this cat, you don't seem prepared to deal with the energy of a kitten. All of this is totally normal, but still unfair to Oreo.

Also, declawing is horrible and a trauma and likely to create a host of other issues. If you adopt an older sweet cat in need of a home who is already declawed you will be saving a life.