I don't know what to do about umbilical cords being tangled and can't afford a vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brittanyann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes they are but now that they are free to move she took off with one while I was burying the three that had passed.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Took off where? Please try to put the baby back and keep mama inside so she will settle down and take care of her babies! She should not be allowed out right now. She may try to move or hide the babies. Best if they all stay inside for now until the babies are weaned in a few weeks. How is the baby doing that has its foot chewed off?

Any plans to get mama cat spayed eventually so she and you don't have to go through all this again?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes they are but now that they are free to move she took off with one while I was burying the three that had passed.
They have often different ideas, it may be different variations.

Be sure she has some nice, cozy corner, a little dark, a little hidden, where she isnt stressed, and just you the main caretaker visits them regularly.  No interested neibours whom want to look and see, for example.  Not these days at least.

Have them closed in her own room, if necessary. So she simply cant wander off.  With their bedding etc...

Monitor the kittens close, its wise to weigh them every day on a electronic scale measuring in grammes.  This way you can follow the development, and if necessary, step in.

How is the one with seared off leg doing?   Such kittens seems to survive surprising often... What did the vet gave you for advice?  How did he treated the wound?

brittanyann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He Is doing great! He's eating fine but he has one leg but she chewed it's claws off so he won't have any claws in the back one but he is doing great and I have one that isn't eating right that might end up passing soon I hope not but it might there is 1 boy and 3 girls now. And the one boy is the one that might end up passing but momma cat when I go to try to help them she slides her face over my hand I guess giving me permission to help. And yes she is a first time mother.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He Is doing great! He's eating fine but he has one leg but she chewed it's claws off so he won't have any claws in the back one but he is doing great and I have one that isn't eating right that might end up passing soon I hope not but it might there is 1 boy and 3 girls now. And the one boy is the one that might end up passing but momma cat when I go to try to help them she slides her face over my hand I guess giving me permission to help. And yes she is a first time mother.
You probably must feed the weak one with  a needleless syringe and kmr or goat milk!

Get home some  kmr - this made by PetAg, called for KMR, in powder, is best, but there are also other who is good.  Avoid Hartz if you have several to choose from. Goat milk, raw or in bottle are OK.

Use a needleless syringe, or a dropper.   Tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, cautiously so he swallows.  Burp afterwards.

The mom wil surely help with the elimiantion and washing...  Cooperate with her as well you can.

You can save this weak one, but you must fight on vigorously, dont let "Nature take its course".

Im happy the wounded is OK so far.  If he survives, he will manage nicely with three legs, no big problems no.   But you do hint his leg isnt totally away, just the claws, and perhaps some toe?   If so, his chances are of course dramatically better.   Healthy kittens have sometimes surprising good healing meat.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear they are doing as well as they are. Can you try to see if the one that is not eating right will latch onto a nipple if you put it right onto it? I hope that one will begin to eat!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good to hear they are doing as well as they are. Can you try to see if the one that is not eating right will latch onto a nipple if you put it right onto it? I hope that one will begin to eat!
Yes, this is a good tip.  If he does, the problem will be solved immediately.

Also, giving help with syringe or bottle, although often necessary, isnt totally riskfree if you arent very experienced...   So try again with momma.

Be sure he is alone when you feed him, for examle when the healty siblings are asleep.

brittanyann

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If I put him on the nipple he latches on til she gets up and then he goes to sleep with the other I've been keeping a close eye on him but she keeps laying on them.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If I put him on the nipple he latches on til she gets up and then he goes to sleep with the other I've been keeping a close eye on him but she keeps laying on them.
Good he latches.  The problem is, itsn not sure he really takes the milk...

The only sure way to know is to weigt him every day - or rather, as time is running, every 12 hours, so you see if he gains.  He shall gain as minimum 6 gram a day (ie 0,2 OZ).

So please start the weiging routine as soon you can, preferably on all te kittens, but before all, te kittens who are weak or in ciris....  im and the wounded one.

If you dont have an own scale, perhaps you can lend one from some neighbour?

AND get home the gears, needleless syringe and kmr /  goat milk, so you can begin and supplement  immediately if, and when you decide its necessary.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
B brittanyann

At least he is latching on - that's a good sign the kitten can make it. I'm glad you are keeping an eye out too.

Where do you have them?

What works for a lot of us is to put mama kitty and her kittens in a closet or corner of our bedroom in a box or place big enough where she has room to stretch out for nursing without squishing the babies. Put an old blanket or towels down for comfort. Then put mama kitty's food, water, and litter in the same room with her so she doesn't go far to eat. And, you can close the bedroom door leaving her in with her babies when you go to work. This ensures that mama will nurse her kittens.

The first 3 weeks are critical because their eyes and ears are not open, and they cannot regulate their own temperature.

Also, feed mama extra now so she can make good milk!

Let me know how they are doing tonight! :)