I Don't Know What To Do About My Kitten's Aggressive Behavior

Gamora57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I really really need help. My cat is so aggressive and does not listen and continues exhibiting bad behaviors. I adopted my little girl from a shelter when she was three months old. She was sweet and docile in the shelter and the day I brought her home. She had been spayed just days before which no one let me know until I had adopted her and had paperwork filled out. She became more and more aggressive as time went on. She always attacked my hands and my roommates hands. I thought as a rescue she had some traumatic experiences because she genuinely hates not only hands but feet as well and will attack them whenever they are near her. I had a strict not playing with hands rule, didn't have people yank their hand away when she attacked, told them signs of aggression so they wouldn't pet her. Nothing helped the behavior just worsened.

I got her scratching posts and boards but she still tears up my boxspring or my suitcase or anything with a fabric she enjoys. I covered it but she gets underneath it and continues to destroy it. She will go after something biting and attacking it like clothes in a laundry hamper, or tear up the carpets from the corner of a room. I've moved her areas, put things in the corners of the room but she still does it and physically removing her just makes her angry and she will attack me. I tried using toys to divert her but she just goes back to the item. She hates when I clean her litter box and attacks me. She attacks my roommates and my roommates dog who leaves her alone because she's too aggressive. Timeouts don't help she just continues the behavior when she gets out. A spray bottle worked a bit but I hate using it and after a while she didn't care she was being sprayed.

I constantly have cuts and wounds from her, as do people close to me. The thing is she has her sweet moments. She loves kisses and wants to be held occasionally, she wants to be in the room with me and cries when she can't be. I genuinely really really love her but I'm at a complete loss as to what to do. I play with her every day & My roommates play with her. She's not home alone often either. I'm so confused I've never had a cat behave like this and I cant figure out what to do. Nothing helps and I'm desperate for any insight.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
First, she needs even more outlets for all that energy, but mainly, give her a big HISS just like her mama would do, consistently and repeatedly when you want bad behavior to stop.
It would be good if you could get your roommates on board to also do this, but a firm no and redirecting her attention will help as well.
Also, try to use a toy like a stuffed sock or a kickaroo for her to grab instead of your hands.
How To Stop Problem Chewing In Cats

How To Set Healthy Boundaries For Your Cat

The Dos And Don'ts Of Cat Behavior Modification

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gamora57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for answering!

I have used all of these methods but she just continues. My roommates hiss and redirectas well and she listens less to them than she does me :( she has a Kickaroo and tons of toys. I keep hoping them in hopes she'll calm down if she burns the energy but it's really remained the same.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
oh gosh.
Can you talk with your vet - there are over-the-counter calming products and other vet-prescribed things, but what I'm really thinking is that maybe she should be checked out again, just to be sure there's not some health thing causing this over the top behavior...

There's even chamomile tea - a couple cooled teaspoons a couple times a day.
Hang in there!!

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
While your at the vet get them to trim her nails unless you are brave enough to try it yourself.

Do you have food out for her all the time? Maybe up on her tree so it's out of the dogs reach. A cat with a full belly is easier to train.

Do you have what Jackson Galaxy calls a "Cat Super Highway"? Can she get around each room without touching the floor. Shelves or cabinets higher even better.

Cats also love consistency. Try doing everything the same each day.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Speaking of food, that's a great thought - is she getting as much as she can consume?

I hate to ask, but since she's basically holding your household hostage and will eventually send someone to the ER, are you SURE you're being as firm as possible?
I mean, a time-out ISN'T going to mean anything to her - that's not something she understands. You've said you're using the hiss, but are you using it EVERY SINGLE TIME? Try throwing jangly keys on the floor next to her when she's biting on someone, try a can half filled with coins and give it a good hard shake or two.

You tried cardboard to redirect her from chewing on your bed?

You're hissing at her when you're cleaning the litter box? A real, loud I-Mean-It HISS.
When I can get the neighbor's dog to back away from the fence with a hiss, I'm talking about a very sibilant, effective sound that isn't backing down.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if COMPLETELY IGNORING her would help, unless she approaches you in a calm and gentile way. My cat with anxiety, has displayed every single type of feline aggression possible and some I think he may have invented!!!lol!
When he showed dominance, play and overstimulated aggression, all three of those required a total and complete "I'm ignoring you" from myself to help lessen the behavior. The second he shows ANY signs of those types of aggression he gets ignored, and if he continues (attacks, or swats even after I move away) he gets put in a room, by-himself for at least an hour. And even if I had to put him in the room, I made sure not to look at him, talk to him, or anything. Just pick up, put in room, close the door. I didn't even look back when I closed the door on him. I know you said you've tried "time-outs". But this required (for me) a 24 hour "time out", where like I said, we ignored him unless he was calm. I would try to tire him out and play with him if he was looking playful (not aggressive) followed by a treat or small meal. I never approached or initiated affection unless he was laying down and resting, and stopped petting him the minute I saw his tail start to flick. If he was on me and he started getting "frisky" but not yet aggressive, I would calmly stand up, he would automatically jump down, by doing this I was reaffirming that getting aggressive makes me ignore him. He soon learned (although because of the anxiety, we still have hiccups) that only sweet behavior gets him love, play time without "attacks" gets him treats and so on. Hope this helps!

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay so this is the best answer I can give as ALL kitten have aggression in the beginning. Its not actually aggression tho, you're misinterpreting it.

Any cats I have personally raised I have done this with and they came out the sweetest, most gentle little sweet bundles of fur.

Part of the problem is you're first off, sending out the wrong type of energy. You got her constantly wound up from fear. You're scared of her. You told your friends and company shes aggressive so they were scared of her, the dog is scared of her. Shes got everyone absolutely terrified so its only going to stir her up worse.

Second. You can NOT be scared of her by doing this, just understand shes a kitten being a kitten. Shes playing.

Kittens need their littermates and mother to help them learn whats too much, what is too strong, ect. You need to speak firmly, but not over-aggressively. Don't jerk your hand or feet away just say, 'NO.' You can also use a word I tend to prefer more, which is 'Gentle'.

In the beginning, you will have to speak firmly, but over time they will learn the word. You may have to speak a little firmer or repeat it till they learn at first. But as SOON as you see them back off, praise them, give them a pet or a treat as a reward and tell them how good they are.

Kittens are high energy and when you teach them to go easier they also learn to better control themselves too. But you need to praise them for it so they know they were doing what you told them to do.

Also, teach them that an unmoving foot or hand is not okay to go after. That way, if you play with them and they get too rough the moment you stop moving your hand the game ends.

After that you can start redirecting them using toys. Right now the energy level is WAY too high so of course shes not going to bother with toys. You can also try leaving her in a room to herself for a few hours at a time with just toys, food, water and a litter box. That way she can learn to self-entertain and properly focus her energy and attention on the toys.

For the case with the dog? Same thing. One she learns 'Gentle' means to go easier if he tries to play too rough with the dog, repeat the word until the dog stops reacting in fear and seems to get a good comfort zone.

I had to do this with my male kitten because he was being too rough with my older girl. Once he learned the word clearly enough I began telling him 'Gentle' when he would charge her and now hes pulled back a great deal.

She still doesn't really want him touching her, but hes not 'throwing' himself on her anymore and biting at the back of her neck like an idiot.

He used to be me even really hard. Now when strangers even touch him when I take him out to socialize they say how gentle his nips are that it doesn't even hurt.

Anyway, thats the best advice I can give you.

Anime Chick

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah... and be sure to touch her feet a lot. Just gentle touches every so often. Front and back, as well as the tail. This will get her used to being touched so when you do need to check her feet or trim her claws she won't panic.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You mentioned you play with her, but how much play time is she getting? My cat is five years old and she requires about three extended play sessions a day. That's anywhere from 10-20 minutes of wand play (until she's panting and you let her catch the toy)- a rest, and sometimes another play. Then give her a meal.

As a kitten, my cat was like the energizer bunny. The only way I was finally able to eat a meal was when I discovered those spinning mouse chasers. She would be interested in that about 20 minutes.

You'll have to determine if you have play aggression, or just plain aggression.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does she hiss and/or growl when attacking hands, feet, etc.? Does she seem agitated (hair raised, back arched, skittish) during these episodes?