I Don’t Know What Else To Do My Cat Keeps Pooping Outside His Box

Bridgit6

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi pleeeease help me, I don’t know what else to do!

I have two cats and a dog. The cats are 9years old and 1 year old.

The older cat constantly poops either directly outside of the litter box or in random places around the kitchen. He started doing this way before the younger cat came on the scene. I’d say he started doing it about 3-4 years ago and it’s gotten so much worse. Before it would be a random pooping now it’s every single time! My house constantly smells and I’m honestly at my wits end! I’ve changed cat litter several times, I’ve bought different kinds of cat boxes (large, without top) and have even tried giving him extra attention all to no avail! Even if the box was just cleaned he’ll opt for right outside it. I really don’t know what to do! I don’t believe in giving up pets but I seriously cannot love this way and don’t want to give him up for this because he’s such a sweet animal. He also humps clothing, blankets, towels which I don’t understand either. He is a domestic short hair, neutered and is slightly overweight but in general good health.

I appreciate any and all ideas on the subject, thank you!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - I'm sorry this is going on, bless your heart for hanging in there!!
Has he been in to see a vet lately? If not, he needs to be taken in as soon as possible.

Is he declawed? Sometimes that can cause a cat to require a really soft litter like grass litters, littermaid's walnut litter or coconut because the other types are uncomfortable to his feet.

You'll want to pick up an enzymatic cleaner such as Nature's Miracle. Also, pick up some puppy pee/training pads for any places he goes with any consistency, that should help a bit with cleanup while this gets sorted out.

You could also look into a calming product - there are a lot on the market with different ingredients and in a variety of styles, collars, diffusers, treats, wipes, sprays.

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Some cats are quirky and won't poop in the same litter box they pee in. The "recommendation" is 1 litter box per cat, plus one. So with 2 cats, you 'should" have 3 litter boxes. And it is best if they are in different parts of the house and not all right beside each other.