I don't know if my kitten is peeing in her box

cheer_grl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 month old kitten. when I first got her, she instinctually started using her litter box. she would poop in it and cover it up and everything. but she would pee on the bathroom carpets right next to the litter box. we tried to show her where she was supposed to go but didn't really know what to do since she was already partially using it. so I kept her in the bathroom for a day and I took out the carpets. I would let her out to play for a bit but I would supervise her the whole time. when i looked in the bathroom at the end of the day, there was no pee on the floor. I assumed she had gone in the litter box. since then we have not found any pee spots anywhere else in the house. but we also haven't found any clumps in her litter box. is it possible that she is peeing in the litter box but the litter just isn't clumping? if not, what else can I do?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have known cats that would pee in the sink or bathtub.

Try a second litterbox.
A lot of cats will not pee in the same box they poop in.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats need two litter pans if a second litter pan doesn't do the trick make a vet appointment to see if the cat is ill.

pondwader

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, I tend to use regular clay litter for kittens until they are 12-16 weeks old, because some of them will eat the clumping kind and end up with a bowel obstruction..... just my two cents....