I didn't need to be lectured!

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was in a PetSmart one time, and I actually saw one lady adopt 5 out of the 6 kitties.......she would have taken them all, but the 6th one definitely needed to be the only kitty in a home...............

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So pleased it's a happy ending Eileen
But going back to the beginning of your thread, while i agree two kittens together would be better than just one, but if it means that one kitten gets a home she should be pleased.

Rosie was on her own for nearly a year before i got Sophie and she seemed fine, and this woman only has to see the happy, content single kitties on this site to show that theres nothing wrong with just having one

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I get a bit annoyed about the "rules" many shelters/rescue organizations have. They seem so arbitrary at times. Some in my area will only adopt out cats who will be indoor/outdoor cats, others insist on "indoor only", some will only allow cats to be adopted in pairs, and there are quite a few who won't adopt out to senior citizens or families with young children.
I can understand insisting that cats who've been in one household together and are very attached to each other remain together, but otherwise think that a lot more flexibility is called for.
End of rant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I get a bit annoyed about the "rules" many shelters/rescue organizations have. They seem so arbitrary at times. Some in my area will only adopt out cats who will be indoor/outdoor cats, others insist on "indoor only", some will only allow cats to be adopted in pairs, and there are quite a few who won't adopt out to senior citizens or families with young children.
I can understand insisting that cats who've been in one household together and are very attached to each other remain together, but otherwise think that a lot more flexibility is called for.
End of rant.
I hear you. I have to admit our coordinator is very flexible about adopting to families with young children and senior citizens. She also really makes an effort to work with potential adopters to be sure it's a good match. I don't know why this adopting a single kitten issue is such a big deal with her. I had another call from the gray kitten's new meowmy today. His name is Doogan and she's "absolutely in love" with him (her words). She said he's been sleeping with her and he reaches up to pat her face with his paw. How cute is that?

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have five cats now.

However, you cannot imagine how many times I chewed my good old ex-roommate out for insisting on getting two kittens when we first moved into my apartment. She insisted she would pay for her share but I ended up paying $1000 for both cats. Her cat also chewed up EVERYTHING!!! She then tried to take "hers" away....

It was a messy situatioin AND I wished I only had one cat back then.

So I can understand how you feel.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

I hear you. I have to admit our coordinator is very flexible about adopting to families with young children and senior citizens. She also really makes an effort to work with potential adopters to be sure it's a good match. I don't know why this adopting a single kitten issue is such a big deal with her. I had another call from the gray kitten's new meowmy today. His name is Doogan and she's "absolutely in love" with him (her words). She said he's been sleeping with her and he reaches up to pat her face with his paw. How cute is that?
Sorry, I'm a bit overwrought at the moment. I made three trips to the vets' office today. I had Jamie's annual check-up and shots, then a litter of kittens from the shelter, and finally a check-up for a permanent resident of the local shelter, who's a biter. I was very upset when an older couple (late 70s) who brought in their son's/daughter-in-law's dog, who had a cut paw, and whom they were dog sitting, recognized Bonita (the biter), made a big fuss over her, and then told me that they'd wanted to adopt her, but were turned down because of their age and her misbehavior. She purred and purred as they fussed over her, and they both told me that they didn't think they'd have a problem with her aggression. Bonita is about 8 -10 years old, and yes, she bites, but she really seemed affectionate with them. So their life expectancy isn't great - wouldn't it be better for her to have a loving home for a few years, and then be returned to the shelter, than to never have the chance to "escape" the cat home? Their son and his wife are obviously animal lovers - perhaps they'd take her in if she outlived her human parents?

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just caught this thread and I must say....

I have had Oscar for 3 almost 4 WONDERFUL years and he has been an only cat for almost 2 of them. He has never shown ANY aggression towards me or any other person for that matter. I chose to have one cat because I live in an apartment and there isn't much room for more. Oscar keeps himself busy by sleeping and finding ramdom objects to play with. He is VERY content being alone. In fact, when we even MENTION getting him a brother or sister he shoots us the death glare

Just my two cents...

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Sorry, I'm a bit overwrought at the moment. I made three trips to the vets' office today. I had Jamie's annual check-up and shots, then a litter of kittens from the shelter, and finally a check-up for a permanent resident of the local shelter, who's a biter. I was very upset when an older couple (late 70s) who brought in their son's/daughter-in-law's dog, who had a cut paw, and whom they were dog sitting, recognized Bonita (the biter), made a big fuss over her, and then told me that they'd wanted to adopt her, but were turned down because of their age and her misbehavior. She purred and purred as they fussed over her, and they both told me that they didn't think they'd have a problem with her aggression. Bonita is about 8 -10 years old, and yes, she bites, but she really seemed affectionate with them. So their life expectancy isn't great - wouldn't it be better for her to have a loving home for a few years, and then be returned to the shelter, than to never have the chance to "escape" the cat home? Their son and his wife are obviously animal lovers - perhaps they'd take her in if she outlived her human parents?
I don't blame you for being upset. Bonita sounds like she'd make a wonderful companion for that couple and it certainly sounds like they'd give her the loving home she deserves. It makes me so angry when shelters deny adoptions based on age. There are so many adult and senior cats in need of good homes and so many older people who could care for them and benefit from the companionship. Like you said, the son and his wife are animals lovers. If they would agree to be a backup for the older couple, then what's the problem? I can't help but think of Fr. Grad, who was willing to take a chance on a certain sweet, shy, young cat named Claire that I know and love. He probably would been turned down by other shelters and rescue groups. I was just so grateful that he offered her a loving home. I'm sorry that they didn't have more time together, but look what joy and love she brought to him in his final months.

We also had another adoption recently involving a 12-year-old male cat, Mickey, who lost his home do to some very unfortunate circumstances last fall and ended up on the street. He ended up being adopted by a wonderful older woman. One of our volunteers is her backup, if Mickey outlives her. Who knows what will happen, but they'll be so good for each other during whatever time they have together.

Sorry to ramble, but I just feel so strongly that shelters and rescue groups
need to really consider and respect peoples' individual circumstances and
not issue blanket restrictions on adoptions.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by eilcon

Just had to share this. Our coordinator called last night to let me know that the three littermates of the little gray guy that got adopted as a single kitten (and resulted in the lecture) all went to a wonderful home together last night. A triple adoption!

So, I think things worked out the way they were meant to. Goes to show that everybody's circumstances are different and we do need to respect that. The main thing is that four rescued kittens are now in loving homes.
What wonderful news!! Goes to prove that your faith was well warranted! All has worked out well

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just one final happy note to all this. I returned three of the kittens I'd been fostering to our main foster home this morning and the young woman who'd adopted the gray kitten was there returning a cat carrier she borrowed. She saw one of my little female foster babies and just fell in love. The kitten was purring up a storm. Needless to say, she'll be going to her new home next week. Pretty neat how things worked out!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Tricia!?
cant you just "adopt that kitty" and give it to that elderly couple?

telynn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would think that as long as the person adopting is a careing person and willing to love the cat, almost any situation would be better then being in a cage at a shelter.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes these people who run these rescue organizations are the reasons a lot of us don't get cats from them. That's one of the reasons a lot of people turn to breeders and get breed specific cats.

I know before I got paid big bucks for Simba, I tried to get a Bengal from a rescue. The lady, first put me off, because my voice is husky, and she 'ASSUMED" I was elderly, which I'm not, then she didn't want to give me the chance with the cat, because I had never owned a Bengal before. She literally wouldn't give me a chance. However, a breeder did.

Then a few years ago, just before I bought Shane, I tried to get a cat from another rescue. It was a little moggie, but looked like a long haired Siamese. The girl that was caring for this kitten lived in Beverly Hills, drove a brand new BMW, and was rich. She was all for letting me have the kitten, until she decided she wanted to come "inspect" my home. I know it was foolish of me, but I was embarrassed to let her come to my home, because it was not so beautiful as her home, and I thought she would look down on me. I tried to explain that to her, and she said, "forget it, you cannot adopt this kitten". Even when I relented and said she could inspect my home, she said, No. She said she would a decent home for this kitten.

I love what the rescue people do for cats, but I have to admit, I am totally turned off about myself ever getting one from a rescue. They treat you so badly, when you want to adopt a cat. I'll never ever try again to get one from a rescue.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Hey Tricia!?
cant you just "adopt that kitty" and give it to that elderly couple?
I thought about it, but she's not on the "adoption list", as she was returned too many times, and the other volunteers know that I can't have other cats around Jamie, so they'd immediately be suspicious.
Originally Posted by HopeHacker

Sometimes these people who run these rescue organizations are the reasons a lot of us don't get cats from them. That's one of the reasons a lot of people turn to breeders and get breed specific cats.

I know before I got paid big bucks for Simba, I tried to get a Bengal from a rescue. The lady, first put me off, because my voice is husky, and she 'ASSUMED" I was elderly, which I'm not, then she didn't want to give me the chance with the cat, because I had never owned a Bengal before. She literally wouldn't give me a chance. However, a breeder did.

Then a few years ago, just before I bought Shane, I tried to get a cat from another rescue. It was a little moggie, but looked like a long haired Siamese. The girl that was caring for this kitten lived in Beverly Hills, drove a brand new BMW, and was rich. She was all for letting me have the kitten, until she decided she wanted to come "inspect" my home. I know it was foolish of me, but I was embarrassed to let her come to my home, because it was not so beautiful as her home, and I thought she would look down on me. I tried to explain that to her, and she said, "forget it, you cannot adopt this kitten". Even when I relented and said she could inspect my home, she said, No. She said she would a decent home for this kitten.

I love what the rescue people do for cats, but I have to admit, I am totally turned off about myself ever getting one from a rescue. They treat you so badly, when you want to adopt a cat. I'll never ever try again to get one from a rescue.
I hear you, Hope, and I'm a member of one rescue organization, and a volunteer at another. I'm not an official member of the second one because I find their adoption policies absolutely ridiculous. They can have my time, but not my dues.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's why I love my shelter! They actually advertise the senior cats(in papers & on the petfinder website) as "good companions for the elderly", or "kid friendly". I think someone once put an ad in the paper for a cat who was depressed from being at the shelter forever. The ad read "Hey you old folks....need a companion?" & then went on to tell about the cat. A senior woman(in her 70s) saw the ad & adopted the cat. Had that ad not been there, she never would've been adopted!

On the flip side, we do screen cats carefully around kids. If we do not feel a cat will do well around kids, no means no. If someone wants to argue with us, we will simply refuse to adopt any cats to them. It's not a chance we want to take.