I didn't adopt them, they adopted me!

A sudden cat guy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was never a cat person, and not a pet owner. And as of today – almost 5 weeks from first meeting a stray/feral in my yard I am now seriously considering becoming one.

Some (long) background. Almost 5 weeks ago I went outside in the heat of the NJ summer to water my plants only to see a community cat (feral I think) resting on some cool concrete under some shade in my back yard. I had seen him before and didn't mind him there – they can catch and kill rodents and the like and have in the past decade. I viewed them like spiders – leave them alone to do their thing and they will really help out. Also, like spiders, don't touch them.

Then I saw three little heads all look up from his side as he turned his head to see me. 'That's odd' I thought 'I didn't think males could nur... oh. OH!' and then the kittens all ran/pounced as fast (and as cute) as they could under my shed. The (now I realized) mom stood and poised herself to run there too while looking at me. I left her alone and watered the plants. Going to the store I picked up some fancy feast and thought 'the littles ones are probably too small to eat this, but I can help mom feed the little ones'.

I left it outside (I always scoop it and spread it on paper plates) and went back inside the house and watched from a window. The mom came, investigated and began to chow down. Then the little ones came out to do the same! I was surprised, and went out to pick up more fancy feast so I could get them two meals (no more than 2 cans per meal I swore to myself, how little then did I realize). Once they were done eating I removed the plates.

Over the next few weeks I continued to feed them and they slowly warmed up to me. The little ones were still wary whenever I would stand up after sitting with them, or if I made any sudden movements. And some days I couldn't get the kittens to get any food (they would stay under the shed in the backyard) but as the weeks went by I would start seeing all of them every meal time.

Mom devours everything (as do the little ones) liking the plates clean. Mom in particular is always so, so hungry. I think it's a combination of her still nursing them (even today – the day I am making this post) and her being a strat/feral. Every day I began to sit a little closer to them as they ate, and was finally able to be sitting there with them as they ate, and they would play a few feet from me. Standing up though would usually send them off to some distance but not always under my shed.

Every day more and more amazon drop offs arrived as I tried to make life easier for them in my backyard. Lids for the trash cans to stop flies, an outdoor tent for some shade (which they don't like as much as the shed or under my car), and more. I even made a 3k down payment to have my yard fenced so I can stop dogs from inspecting my yard (will go up before September arrives).

I almost killed these little guys a few times too once by almost weeding the yard (realized right as I had finished filling the feeder that they lick their paws, which could mean death to them) and a few times I found the kittens in my cars engine (I had seen a little paw climb up into the under carriage and was horrified that they could do that – getting them OUT of the engine was a real challenge). The importance of reading ingredient lists on tuna/sardine cans can not be stressed enough either.

At week two I reached out to find some help and was lucky enough to be put into contact with a wonderful lady who does TNR. In fact – almost a month since I had first seen them we managed to catch all 4 beauties. The mom went right into the trap to get the food placed in there without any worry and didn't freak out in the trap either (was toweled). The little ones all went into the cat carrier so we were able to get them inside my house where I've been taking care of them for almost a week now.

For their personalities – Mom (Oreo is my name for her) is a sweet heart. After two weeks of feeding her she would be pawing at the back door when it was feeding time, and would walk beside me as I placed it down (almost tripped me twice). She eventually let me pet her (not all the time) and showed me her belly a few times too. The little ones let me pet them when they were feeding (although they weren't sure of this, so I didn't press the issue) by the 3rd week. As for their names – I named the mostly black kitten Rumor, the two black/white ones are Button and Sentry.

Sentry got his name because of all of them he is the only vocal one, and was meowing at me from the first time he saw me, as if he was warning the others under the shed that there was a large two legged monster outside. He meows when he wants just about anything too, which is adorable.

Button got her name from 'as cute as a button' and is the most 'streamlined' of them. Like a huntress. When I break out the worm toy to play in the afternoons she leaps and pounces all over the room to catch it and also is the only one to try to bring it someplace safe to feast on it – as if she has a den.

Rumor is named after a large black cat in the Shannara series of books and was really good at hiding in her own shadow. She is the runt of the litter and a wall flower. She took the longest to trust me initially and somedays I wouldn't see him. He has something wrong with his left eye so when he goes in for an appointment we'll see if we can have it looked at.

The mom went thru her spaying and vaccinations/shots without any trouble and tested negative for luekimia and FHIV. A few days after the proceedure though mom had a full milk gland (looked swollen) so the TNR lady who was watching her reached out to a feeding/lactate/nursing expert on cats and was recommended to bring the mom to the kittens pronto – they can suckle from it and open it up.

So now I am watching the family, and little Rumor did most of the work on that breast drinking it up whenever he could. Mom looks health and happy as do the little ones, and I've given them all my laundry room to romp around in. I can pick rumor up and put him in my lap, and if I am stroking his head/cheek with my palm, he purrs endlessly and almost falls asleep. Mom I've gotten somewhat used to brushing now and she purrs when I do so – I can't believe what a sweetie she is. Button doesn't like being petted much still, while Sentry doesn't mind as long as it's just a few times. I've also now been able to pick up the little ones and place them back down near food or getting them down off high places – but trying to herd them is never going to work. This morning they managed to run past me and began exploring the rest of the house – thankfully food brought them all back to the laundry room! They are getting very brave which I love since I do not want them to be afraid of humans.

Let it be known that I did not understand kitty litter at all – this has all been quite a sudden adventure my life has undergone.

In any case – I am in the process of 'cat proofing' the home while I see if I can find a rescue (or home) to take in the little ones. While I would love to keep all 4 I am not ready for that many cats. Maybe I could keep the mom and one little one, but all 4 is just too many unfortunately. (I am super allergic to cats – and my house is filled with 'doodads' which I am boxing as I also work on changing shelves, throwing away any nicknacks that they could eat, move paints/game pieces and so on into chests or other secure places.

I will wrap this up by saying thank you to the posters here in this forum, as it is the reason I made an account here too. Some google searches about strays/ferals would occasionally bring me here. Turns out I was doing everything right but it is so good to have confirmation from others who have done this on a regular basis. I also now realize how overburdened the shelters and TNR efforts are, and have learned a great deal about cats in general (never had one, never even considered getting one, but when I was able to hold little Rumor as she purred in complete content I can't imagine what a wonderful world I had missed out on for so long).

Although it is tough to get good pictures of them I have a few. The outside one was from about two weeks ago now, the indoor ones were from yesterday. And thank you TheCatSite - your discussions and questions helped me over the last few weeks, and helped me calm down especially when I searched for 'will mom cat forgive me for spaying her' ha ha ha!
Family Is All Here.jpg Adorable.jpg MomToo.jpg ContentMom.jpg

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome, and yes, this is how it happened to so many of us.

I am currently in my 40s, and grew up in a family where we always had dogs as the family pets. I still love dogs, but accidentally became cat guy about 9 years ago.

Willy showed up out of the blue at my mom's house, where I was temporarily staying at the time between a move. He was less than a year old, and obviously a stray, because he sought out the house when he saw people inside. And he was extremely friendly, but also completely incapable of taking care of himself. He was emaciated and sick.

We took him in, got him treated and fed, and I moved to my new place with him. The rest is history.

As my vet put it when I was telling the story that "he just showed up," she said, "that's what cats do."

Attachments

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What a wonderful story about you helping the cats and getting assistance with a local TNR group to get mom spayed.

I can't imagine my life with a cat and in the last year have adopted to already TNR'd cats that have been visiting my outdoor cat feeder. It is a bit of a learning curve with adopting stray/feral cats but it sounds as if you have done everything right and are reaping the benefits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

A sudden cat guy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just a small update here. It's been just a week since I wrote my hello and it seems a bit odd that I am saying goodbye to Oreo the mom cat tomorrow, and likely the little ones later in the week. I found a rescue that can take her (and her little ones) in, is staffed with loving people who care about strays like her, and can find a forever home for her and, hopefully, the little ones when we have them spayed/neutered/vaccinated. Mom will go tomorrow afternoon in fact.

This has been one of the toughest days of my entire life. I can't seem to stop.. crying. If someone told me that the hardest part of this would be saying goodbye to these guys who were only with me for two weeks I would have been surprised. I feel like someone should have warned me!

But my health does not allow me to keep pets. I had a stroke several years ago and may have another for reasons beyond my control, in addition to other health problems that have almost killed me a few times (blood clotting disorders among them). No one would know I'm paralyzed and can't do anything or dead, nor feed the starving cats. It's one of the reasons I never had pets to begin with and alas for me, single guy living alone (and at my age will remain so) it's just not in the cards.

So I am so thankful for having the time to spend with them and give these little loveable guys a good first start, and the mom a place she could learn to trust humans again. I'll never be able to forget when little rumor climbed into my lap to fall asleep, or mama let me scratch under her chin for the first time, so content. Or how they all meow so loudly for breakfast and dinner while circling my feet like sharks. Who would have thought they could eat so much for being so small!

And the strangest thing about this is I know (or.. I hope) that they will forget about me a few weeks on as they find people who can give them what I may not be able to. All that time put into assembling the towering majesty that is the Living Room Cat Tower, cat proofing the home and the chaos of meal times... is something I can never forget. What an amazing past month and a half its been – I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.
View attachment 456411View attachment 456412View attachment 456413View attachment 456416
So here's a few of the last pictures I am going to have of them, I figured I'd share them here and can come back to look at them to remember what a wonderful summer I had caring for them for a while. And thank you again TheCatSite. Two weeks ago I was worried mom wouldn't forgive me for spaying her - and now I'm hoping they'll forgive me for letting them go.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all you have done for these kitties and their mama, and thank you also for sharing your wonderful story.

cmshap

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And the strangest thing about this is I know (or.. I hope) that they will forget about me a few weeks on as they find people who can give them what I may not be able to.
The way I look at it is this...

Sure, they aren't going to sit around remembering and thinking about you, specifically, as they live their lives moving forward.

BUT, they will remember the kindness you showed them, and they will apply that to their life experiences while living among other humans moving forward.

You instilled more trust of humans as a source of love and comfort, which will only improve their quality of life as they live in other human homes and interact with other humans moving forward.

Because of you, these cats may have better relationships overall with their new human companions. And that doesn't happen without them remembering your previous acts of kindness.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
now I'm hoping they'll forgive me for letting them go.
They will, but this is breaking my heart. These cats were the absolute light of your life.

As mentioned, can you foster? What about signing up with Lifealert, or an Apple watch or phone that is setup to send an alert if you haven't moved after a length of time ?

You might consider one of these anyway, and thereby along with peace of mind for your own safety and wellbeing, you'd be able to have an animal or two in your life.

You experienced the unparalleled joy they bring.

They'll help and give to you over time as you help them, I promise you that.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
You’re a saint. Thank you so much for setting them on the right path. I agree w/ Tobermory & Furball’s Mom —there’s no reason to think you couldn’t foster! ❤

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you for doing everything that you've done. Perhaps the rescue could share your email with the adopters and they will send you photos?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

A sudden cat guy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aye - the rescue (FoSOCAS) mentioned that very often the ones who adopt them send pictures every year of those they've adopted. I would love to know they're all doing okay. It's been so hard to not adopt the entire family myself given how much I've grown to love them, but... I can't be their forever home. Really tiny house, health problems, bad allergies to them.

God bless those fosters who can help more than one family too. The rewarding feeling to give a new life to these beautiful loveable creatures is indescribable and I feel... a terrible saddness to see them go, but also very proud that (I hope!) I did everything to get the accustomed to what 'normal' people are like. (I'm very quite and on my computer 24/7 for work and gaming so putting on the TV for the first time in years was interesting). But this has been the toughest two days of my entire life - and I had a stroke, and my HS crush told me not interested when I asked her out ha ha ha ha! Neither compares to this but I like to think they're happy tears.

Whew man. I can barely see the screen I'm such a mess with 'ugly crying' ha ha ha! Thank you all for responding, it means more than you know.