I desperately want......

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
a piano for our home

i played when I was younger and want to get back into it. When Anberlin gets here I want her to have it to use when she gets older. My grandmother used to play organ all the time and I loved to just listen to her play.......

They are sooooooooooooo expensive though

I guess I will have to get out the penney jar and start putting away! Maybe we will have one by the time she is ready for college!

Anyone else play?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hahahahaha those are fun, but not capable of the playing that i am interested in doing!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

They are sooooooooooooo expensive though

I guess I will have to get out the penney jar and start putting away!
what about a good used one?

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

what about a good used one?
I have been looking online and they want a lot for them too! I am gonna have to go on craigslist when I get home and see what is on there, if anything.

It by no means has to be new. It just has to be an upright piano with pedals.... the rest is subjective to change!

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
craigslist! I found one for free the other night just needed someone to come get it. It wasnt in amazing shape, but it would have been great to tune up and paint black! But someone else had already gotten it before I called.
You never know what you may find! A lot of times a family member passes away or something and they just want the big things like that out of the house.
Try searching surrounding cities on craigslist as well!

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought an electric piano a few years ago for about 500 dollars - three pedals, full keyboard, and adjustable weighting. I took lessons for 12 years and play classical music, relatively difficult stuff (Chopin nocturnes, Beethoven sonatas and the like) - its sufficient for what I need, except that one of the pedals squeaks.
I just need to put some graphite or something on it though. Its also nice for apartment living since I can adjust the volume and play late at night without worrying about disturbing my neighbors.

I can show you the website where I got mine, if you're interested.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

I bought an electric piano a few years ago for about 500 dollars - three pedals, full keyboard, and adjustable weighting. I took lessons for 12 years and play classical music, relatively difficult stuff (Chopin nocturnes, Beethoven sonatas and the like) - its sufficient for what I need, except that one of the pedals squeaks.
I just need to put some graphite or something on it though. Its also nice for apartment living since I can adjust the volume and play late at night without worrying about disturbing my neighbors.

I can show you the website where I got mine, if you're interested.

I looked hard at several electric pianos, looked hard at the measuring tape and decided on a smaller keyboard with approxinately 932 settings of which I only use 3-4. Also have a Hammond sitting idle since the cord met with a charging cat and I cant get the fool thing plugged back in without moving a recliner, a couch and a loveseat. At least they didnt wreck the cord

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had known you when we were cleaning out my mom's house. We had an upright Campbell that my parents and I refinished, and it is GORGEOUS! Needed tuning, but that was minor. I would have loved to keep it (so many good memories!) but we had no place to store it and moving it needed a professional piano mover (not cheap) so we let it go with the house. Good thing it the new owners granddaughter plays so it will still be used.

I agree, check on craigslist or even the classifieds. The price for a used, older piano is very low. Even with our upright (1902) no one was going to give us anything for it even though it was an antique. So, we gave it away.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Take your time looking, don't just grab the first piano that comes along. Make sure you really check out a used one before you get it. You can get great deals, but you can also run into ones that need so much repair work that it's not worth the price.

I went looking for a used piano a couple of years ago and ended up with a new one for various reasons. I won't even tell you how much it cost, except I added the amount to my loan when I refinanced my mortgage.

However, if you're looking for an upright, I don't think you'll have to ransom your house.

This is my new baby (grand)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldyCat

Take your time looking, don't just grab the first piano that comes along. Make sure you really check out a used one before you get it. You can get great deals, but you can also run into ones that need so much repair work that it's not worth the price.

I went looking for a used piano a couple of years ago and ended up with a new one for various reasons. I won't even tell you how much it cost, except I added the amount to my loan when I refinanced my mortgage.

However, if you're looking for an upright, I don't think you'll have to ransom your house.

This is my new baby (grand)
Ah...sighs with jealosy...beautiful! Oh, and don't forget Freecycle!

nekomania

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My mom got her piano for free from someone online, I'm assuming a website similar to craigslist but I was a bit younger.

I used to love to listen to her play and it wasnt until I was about 15 that I realized she couldn't read music or even knew what notes she was hitting, she just played all by ear.

So give craigslist a try, it might need a little work but it's much cheaper. I'll have to see if I can get a picture of our piano, it's a nice upright one and a self-playing piano, but they could never afford to get that mechanism fixed.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh my god.... That baby grand is simply stunning!

I am gonna check craigslist today and see what all is out there!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I took piano lessons for 14 years, starting when I was 4 years old. And I hated them.

My grandmother bought me my piano and it stayed in my parents' house for years and years. Finally, when they downsized, they gave me my piano.

And now? Well, I'd love to start taking lessons again. The only thing that's really stopping me is that I have to get my piano re-tuned....it's horribly out of tune....and we're talking some serious money to do that.

I keep thinking....someday! Good luck with your search!

(GoldyCat, I love, love, love your piano!)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by Winchester

(GoldyCat, I love, love, love your piano!)
Thanks. Me, too. And it sounds as gorgeous as it looks.

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Thanks. Me, too. And it sounds as gorgeous as it looks.
If you happen to wake one morning and find it missing, it's NOT at my house!

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by capt_jordi

Can I come play your piano?
You can come play it any time, but you may have to share the keyboard with a couple of kitties.

Or you may have to chase it around the country. (See below v)

Originally Posted by NoRachelHere

If you happen to wake one morning and find it missing, it's NOT at my house!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

You can come play it any time, but you may have to share the keyboard with a couple of kitties.

Or you may have to chase it around the country. (See below v)

Yeah I have no way of getting it from Arizon to Florida, and even if I did that thing would take up my entire living room as our place is like all of 700 square feet!