I Desperately Need Some Rescue Advice

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, a few months back I found a stray cat living around the dining area of my university. A few weeks ago I found that she had 4 or 5 kittens (they look like they might be a couple months old) also hiding in the outside area of my University dining area. Since then I've been feeding them when I get a chance to go to lunch but today I was reprimanded by a manager of that dining cafeteria that I was not allowed to feed the strays even though I'm paying for the food and I was basically warned that my meal plan would go up if I kept feeding the babies.

I desperately need help finding someone who will rescue these kittens so they can have the life they deserve. Unfortunately I cannot rescue them because they live in the dorms and now I can't feed them. I'm very worried about their well being and I would really appreciate any form of help to save these kittens. Thank you for reading.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do a search of you area and see if there is a TNR program (Trap Neuter Return). Ask the program if they can help you trap the kitties. Or if they can loan you a trap. If the kittens are young enough, they can be tamed and adopted. Ask them if there is a shelter or rescue where you can take the kittens (if young enough). If they are older than two months a lot of rescues don't like to work with them, because it take's longer to socialize them. Or you might find somebody who is willing to foster them. Rescue groups are very busy with kittens this time of year, so it will likely take some effort to find help for the kittens. I would feed the kitties at night when no one is around. Also trap them in the evening or early morning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do a search of you area and see if there is a TNR program (Trap Neuter Return). Ask the program if they can help you trap the kitties. Or if they can loan you a trap. If the kittens are young enough, they can be tamed and adopted. Ask them if there is a shelter or rescue where you can take the kittens (if young enough). If they are older than two months a lot of rescues don't like to work with them, because it take's longer to socialize them. Or you might find somebody who is willing to foster them. Rescue groups are very busy with kittens this time of year, so it will likely take some effort to find help for the kittens. I would feed the kitties at night when no one is around. Also trap them in the evening or early morning.

Thanks for the suggestion, I am trying to look for rescue groups around because I really am hoping for someone to foster and adopt them. I'm not sure if they are passed their socialization stage yet, but I think if maybe they are around other kittens their age then they can learn.

I'll try to be sneaky about feeding them but it's really difficult them being here at the University or else I would have trapped them and foster them myself :(
It's really unfair that I'm 'not allowed to feed them' but I guess I'm lucky that they haven't called animal control

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, there are a lot of cat haters who make helping them harder. Do you live on campus? Can you get close to the kittens? Sometimes it is possible to catch kittens with out a trap. You can put food in a cat carrier or a study box and shut it quickly. Then you need a place to keep them until you can find a rescue group. A kennel or some type of cage. The sooner you can catch them the better.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do live on campus but there is a strict "no pets" in the dorms.

I can get sort of close to them, they come closer to me when I have food but the problem is that they are staying inside of the cafeteria's outside eating area and the only way to go to that area is through the inside and back out through the inside and right by all of the workers. I'm worried I might get in trouble for taking them like that, even though the cats don't belong to anyone.

I've been trying to look for rescue groups in my area to see if they can help me out. It's tricky, but you're right, the sooner the better for these babies. Thank you so much for your advice.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is risky, but that sounds like the only way to get to them right? Scope it out and see if there could be another way in. If not you'll have to come up with a strategy to be sneaky, like hiding the trap under a table or some sort of camouflage. If you do get caught, let them know that you are rescuing them and taking them away. If they don't want you feeding them, they should be glad to be rid of them. Rescue groups can not always do everything for you, so it's important to do as much as you can to help capture the kittens. They are usually made up of a small group of volunteers who get many calls from people expecting them to solve all the problems. They can not help everybody, so your willingness to share in the work goes a long way to getting the help you need. I hope that makes sense.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does make sense and you are right. I need to do more on my part. I'm going to contact some rescue groups near me to see if we can come up with a plan on how to properly rescue these kittens. Thank you again for your help.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First - thanks for being so caring as to worry about the little furry family! Many people would walk right by without the compassion you obviously have.

Definitely contact rescue groups asap - also look in your area for what's almost always called a "spay & neuter clinic." Clinics basically function purely for (no surprise) spaying and neutering - and many also are willing to come help you, or can put you in touch with someone who can. They may also have suggestions on which rescue groups might have openings for mom and babies (or at least babies). Is mom friendly at all? Often people at universities get kittens & hide them in their dorm room - but then just leave them on campus when their academic year is over. If she's friendly (and she could be being extra protective right now since babies are with her) - hopefully you can get babies AND mom (otherwise you'll be seeing her with kittens again pretty shortly. :(

If you can get anything worked out (with trapping and then getting them into a rescue organization) - I'd suggest then talking with the head of dining in your dorm. Explain that you're trying to get them out of there and into a shelter so they won't be a problem for the dining hall anymore. Make it sound as though you're doing THEM a big favor - and hopefully they won't freak then as you try to get them. Normally I'd say "easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" - - but in your case, doesn't sound like it'll be easy to sneak them out of where they'e hiding once caught.

That's my suggestion - - others on here may have other thoughts - - but however you go about it - -good luck!!!!! Keep us posted!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My thinking on being sneaky was to avoid the bureaucracy of getting permission from a big university. I used to work at one. But I have learned how to be sneaky and know how to hide kittens in my shopping bag. ;) But hopefully a rescue group can help you figure something out. We are rooting for you, let us know how it goes.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kittychick kittychick surya surya Really guys, I appreciate this so much. If I can't find openings in my area, I will try close by cities and definitely the spay/neuter clinic. That is also what I'm really worried about since mom looks pretty young.

Mom and the kittens are all extremely skittish. Since I've been feeding mom since February, she sort of recognizes me now and approaches me with her tail raised and occasionally meows or rubs against nearby chairs when she sees me. Although, she still doesn't like me getting too close but I've actually gotten to pet her a few times. I think she needs medical attention too since she looks like she lost an eye. I've even gotten to exchange slow blinks with her a few times though!

I'm definitely going to keep trying with more organizations, I don't want to give up on this family. My own cats were almost stuck in this situation and I'm so happy there are other people out there who care enough to do rescues. After this situation I think I want to get more involved with this in the future too.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's some pictures of the babies too. I have a few videos too if you guys want to see

IMG_9835.JPG

IMG_9835.JPG
IMG_9839.JPG
IMG_9828.JPG
IMG_9819.JPG

Don't know why these turned out sideways

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's and "always yes!" on the videos! They look very healthy!

And SO glad you're not giving up (all are TOO cute - and mom is a gorgeous dilute tortie!) - - kitten season is about to start full force -- which will definitely make getting any of them in alot harder - actually particularly mom.

So keep checking places - - - and yes Spay/neuter is going to get critical VERY soon. Kittens can get pregnant (even by parents OR siblings) by about 4 months - - -so you don't have a ton of time on them from the looks of them. Some time - but not tons. And Mom can get pregnant again VERY soon.

How Old Is That Kitten? Kitten Progression: At-a-Glance

Aging

Both sites above give great ways to tell pretty exactly how old they are. Keep us posted - they ARE adorable!!!!
And www.alleycat.org does have alot of good suggestions as to who to contact re: various things - - - and of course, checking in on this site is also a WONDERFUL way - - lots of people with lots of info!

Keep us posted on these cuties!!!!!

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are cute. They look older than two months (but hared to tell from a photo). I hope you can get them fixed. It is best not to feed cats unless you are going to get them fixed. It just adds to the overpopulation problem. If they are older than 10 weeks they can be tamed and adopted, but it will be hard to find someone willing to do that with older kittens.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you guys, at the least I should have them spayed/neutered. I had no idea they could get pregnant at just a few months. That really worries me. And you might be right, I think they are a bit older. I still want to keep faith that someone will give them a chance.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

So, I have come across something puzzling. I haven't seen any sign of the kittens since last Friday and mom only has come by me once this week. One of the ladies who works at the dining area who also puts out cat food occasionally and water also said she noticed the kittens were gone. I'm not sure upper management removed them since they still have the 'don't feed the cats' poster still up and probably haven't told their workers since some of the people employed there that she has asked don't know anything either.

At this point I'm not sure what to do. The rescues I have been trying to contact say they are full and one that I emailed last week still hasn't gotten back to me yet. I was going to contact the Trap Neuter/Spay Release this week but I'm not sure if I can if I don't know where the kittens are. What can I do now?

Is it possible that the mother cat has changed the nest area for her kittens? I know that the kittens practically follow their mother everywhere and she must have changed the nest before since the kittens were not in that spot before spring break a few weeks ago, so is it possible that the mother cat changed the nest area again? Since we were gone over break for a week, I thought maybe the mother cat stayed at that area with the kittens since it was quiet and then all of a sudden there are people there getting too close and gawking at the kittens so maybe she didn't like that? I'm not sure if that is something a mother cat would do (I really don't know a lot about cat parents) or is something else possible? I'm really worried now and I'm just hoping the kittens are safe and that mama cat comes back more often.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, mother cats don't like people messing with their children, so it is very likely she moved them. The only way to find out where they are is to observe her. They don't usually take them far from where they are getting fed.

JustJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
See, I haven't been seeing her around as often or maybe I'm coming by later than she is. I'm hoping she will come by more often and is feeding her children.
I was planning to go by the store this weekend to buy some cat food for them and maybe if I'm lucky I could encounter mom and see where she goes off too. Is that still a good idea or should I wait some more?

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good idea. The best time to watch cats is in the evening when it starts to get dark. That's when they all come out to play.