I deffinitely need some advice...

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So here's the situation, you guys all know I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. The 2 male cats are siblings, My female is new, and the dogs are super sweethearts.

So this is something I have noticed about my Boy Kovu, LONG before we brought Vitanni home so I know she isn't the cause. We have taken him to 3 different vets all say the same thing. He's totally healthy and there's nothing medically wrong with him.

I would say it started February. I came home from work and he refused to eat, was sneezing and coughing. My first thoughts were Kennel Cough. Maybe I brought it home on my clothes or something. (I used to work at a kennel, but I would always change my clothes in the garage and put them in the laundry basket in the laundry room when I came inside, and of course he loves to play in laundry basket when it's empty) so I quarantined him, got his weight and vitals, called it in to my vet they said the same and prescribed him Doxy. End of story all good right? Wrong. Now he DID have Kennel Cough 100% and THAT did go away almost practically over night after he got the doxy. But then I noticed when he would purr or snuggle up to me or even just lay with me his body would begin shaking. Not violently but almost as if he was really cold or something.

I was IMMEDIATELY concerned. Got ahold of my vet and had him in practically the next day. Array of tests later, Picture of health. No signs of Kennel cough, parasites, no vomiting, no discharge, no fever, xrays and blood work ALL CLEAN. He refers me to an animal neuro. Again appt, came up clean. He refers me to a behavioralist, I have some experience with Cat Behavior myself but I'm deffinitely no expert, so again another appt. Behavioralist? Completely stumped. He's confidant, he plays, by the end of the doxy was back to eating normally, bowel movements normal, no issues with getting around and no pain.

So since then, the shaking fits have gone down some, but he now randomly has these shaking fits. ESPECIALLY when my SIL's kids, who live with us, get super rowdy. (Before the shakes started he family was allowed to interact with my animals, but then another of things started happening, I noticed how... the kids almost kind of terrorized the cats with affection even when they would bite and scratch then clearly saying 'No, Leave me Alone' but I can't do anything to discipline the kids, all I can do is separate the animals from their family, and do all I can to prevent anything further. I quite my job, and I stay at home 24/7. He's still normal, but when he cuddles with me or my boyfriend he just gets these violent shakes... I'm totally stumped. I would love any advice.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Couple of questions for clarification. Did Kovu ever shake before the kennel cough/Doxy treatment? Or would he shake before that when your SIL's kids came over? Just trying to figure out the time line. Shaking can occur from fear/anxiety, so that would explain what has gone on with these kids' visiting. But, if that didn't start happening until after the kennel cough/Doxy treatment, then it would seem to me that the shaking connects to the latter.

I won't go any further until you can answer the questions above. The answers could be helpful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Couple of questions for clarification. Did Kovu ever shake before the kennel cough/Doxy treatment? Or would he shake before that when your SIL's kids came over? Just trying to figure out the time line. Shaking can occur from fear/anxiety, so that would explain what has gone on with these kids' visiting. But, if that didn't start happening until after the kennel cough/Doxy treatment, then it would seem to me that the shaking connects to the latter.

I won't go any further until you can answer the questions above. The answers could be helpful.
Sorry I must not have added that. The shaking was part of the coughing and sneezing that I noticed. I noticed the symptoms all at the same time.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just did a search on"cat shakes when happy" and was amazed at how common this is.

Can you post a video? Without seeing, it's difficult to comment.

Does his face look happy when it's happening? Is it possible he enjoys watching the kids play wild and that's why it also happens at that time?

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I must not have added that. The shaking was part of the coughing and sneezing that I noticed. I noticed the symptoms all at the same time.
And the kids aren't visiting they live with us.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am sorry, I feel like I am being 'thick-headed' today. So, he never shook with the interactions with the kids before he developed kennel cough? That being the case, I wonder if he is having a temp regulation problem. Fever is common with kennel cough, and maybe this is a residual from that. I'd start taking his temp - both when he is and is not shaking just to see if there is a change. It is really just a wild guess, but if his shaking only started after the kennel cough/Doxy, then there has to be some sort of correlation.

If I am still wrong about the timing, I apologize profusely.

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sorry, I feel like I am being 'thick-headed' today. So, he never shook with the interactions with the kids before he developed kennel cough? That being the case, I wonder if he is having a temp regulation problem. Fever is common with kennel cough, and maybe this is a residual from that. I'd start taking his temp - both when he is and is not shaking just to see if there is a change. It is really just a wild guess, but if his shaking only started after the kennel cough/Doxy, then there has to be some sort of correlation.

If I am still wrong about the timing, I apologize profusely.
No no don't apologize I didn't explain properly or proof read so that's my fault.

Honestly, I never thought of that. Temp regulation issues never crossed my mind. I will deffinitely start doing that. Thank you :)

Kopanova

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just did a search on"cat shakes when happy" and was amazed at how common this is.

Can you post a video? Without seeing, it's difficult to comment.

Does his face look happy when it's happening? Is it possible he enjoys watching the kids play wild and that's why it also happens at that time?
Cats shake when they are happy?! I had no idea! I mean he is usually purring when he shakes but I know that purring doesn't mean he's happy all the time as it can be a sign of pain. He seems relaxed though? I will have to see if I have any videos of it. I know I do just don't remember which phone I have them on.