I could just cry

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Definitely don't have it licked with Swanie. Tried yesterday with the pill popper and he chewed the pill and spit out the pieces, chewed the pill popper, just generally had a fit. I was trying to do it like they demo'd, put the popper with pill in his mouth and depress the stopper. So after ruining two pills and not being any closer, we called the vet and took him over there. In two seconds she had him pilled. The took him out of the carrier, he looked at her and hissed and she threw the pill in his mouth. And he swallowed it! I said, how did you DO that!? She said practice

So, wish me luck, I'm about to leave for home in a few minutes to try it her way. Getting him to hiss is no problem at all. Having the reflexes and abiltiy to toss the pill in and get him to swallow. I don't know. If not, we will be heading back to the vet I guess
since I need to get those pills in him. She didn't charge us last time, but they are willing to have us bring him there every day and they will work out a fee. He needs them for 10 days (8 more), so the ideal situation is I learn how to do it. We have to figure out a way for DH to hold him and also hold his head still I think so I can be in front of him with pill ready to fling. He's big and he is strong. You always see the demo's on these petite little docile kitties.

Cindy we do have figured out. I pick her up (sometimes she leads me a chase up and down the stairs, but eventually gives up) and give her a little tour of things she doesn't normally get to see from the floor (her head is on swivel trying to take it all in). Then I walk her over to DH who is sitting at the kitchen table with the pill. I hold her and DH gently tilts her head back, inserts the pill, holds her mouth closed and rubs her neck. Sometimes it takes more than one try to get the pill in, and once I found a pill she had deposited behind the TV, but she's been really good lately. If only we could do that with the Swanz.
I'm sorry, I thought you only had to give it for three days for some reason. Yeah, you are screwed. I still recommend using work gloves if you have them or some type of hand covering. Good luck!!

I would still see if you could get a liquid sedative you could give him an hour or two before that may make it easier on you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm sorry, I thought you only had to give it for three days for some reason. Yeah, you are screwed. I still recommend using work gloves if you have them or some type of hand covering. Good luck!!

I would still see if you could get a liquid sedative you could give him an hour or two before that may make it easier on you.
We have to give it to him for 10 days. He has a URI. For the past two days I've been able to get him to take it in a pill pocket
If he keeps that up for the next 6 days I will be overjoyed. I hate putting him through the stress of trying to give it to him, or dragging him into the vets office for her to give it to him. I tried gloves, but I can't do it that way. DH wears gloves and a thick long sleeved shirt to hold him though.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

We have to give it to him for 10 days. He has a URI. For the past two days I've been able to get him to take it in a pill pocket
If he keeps that up for the next 6 days I will be overjoyed. I hate putting him through the stress of trying to give it to him, or dragging him into the vets office for her to give it to him. I tried gloves, but I can't do it that way. DH wears gloves and a thick long sleeved shirt to hold him though.
I'm glad you're having success!! That's the problem I have with Monster, I'm afraid of over stressing her. And THAT is why I can't give her the meds the way they should be given. I worry about making her more upset. DH is used to giving animals meds (he's a farm boy and medicated cats, dogs, goats, cows, you name it). He has the experience to do it. As much as Monster fights him at times, I'm surprise she hasn't broken her neck! But, he knows how to do it, I don't.

Many : he continues for the next 6 days! Hopefully he has realized the pill popper isn't and alien trying to kill him and realize it is actually helping him. Times like this I really wish we could speak cattalk and explain what we are doing.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Times like this I really wish we could speak cattalk and explain what we are doing.
Even though we only speak human, we should always explain to them what we are doing and why. Cats understand way more than they let on.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HAHAHA! Even though the reason for this thread isn't funny, I've really enjoyed some of the descriptions. Helicopter with claws!!! LOL, Laurie!

One thing I've heard of, and it might not work at all, but has anyone here every tried to put a harness on their cat? For some reason, that just takes the bones right out of 'em. They flop down on the ground like someone has paralyzed them. It's a thought. LOL! Thanks for making may day, and good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

HAHAHA! Even though the reason for this thread isn't funny, I've really enjoyed some of the descriptions. Helicopter with claws!!! LOL, Laurie!

One thing I've heard of, and it might not work at all, but has anyone here every tried to put a harness on their cat? For some reason, that just takes the bones right out of 'em. They flop down on the ground like someone has paralyzed them. It's a thought. LOL! Thanks for making may day, and good luck!
I'm sure I'll laugh about this after its all over, but its so bloody frustrating.

We tried putting a harness on Swanie ages ago when he was younger, with the thought of taking him for a walk, and it was totally hysterical. DH was trying to put it on him, I was giggling and making a video. So I sure don't think I could get a harness on him now. DH says he can move 17 ways at once when he wants to, and that's about the truth of it