I Could Just Cry...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Spyral

Problem is, that it is an HP. It has a proprietary motherboard that most likely houses the sound card, video card and the network card. I worked for HP for 6 years as a NetServer tech. To be honest, your best bet is to get a new computer. You can usually get a very good deal at Staples on their store brand computer. I have sen them as cheap as $150 for just the tower. Since you already have all the peripherals, you only need the tower. Where do you live? I will do some research for you and point you in the right direction. An HP with a fried motherboard is a paperweight unless you want to pay their exorbitant price for their parts.
It IS an HP, and it is an older model (about ten years old, I think: our landlady had it before we did, so it's seen better days I reckon). Your advice is the same as what our Army buddy told me today, and he was a computer technician before he joined the service - so I tend to believe what he's telling me. Besides, he has no reason to steer me in the wrong direction, b/c he refuses to let us pay him for his time & effort in helping us: he's not gaining anything...

My s/o and I were just discussing the matter, and we both think we'd be better off buying the tower too, b/c of the age of the computer. It makes more sense than getting nickeled & dimed to death, by trying to replace older parts one at a time. I guess the computer just got too old to handle all the use and added programs - I really don't know..
And the system restoration probably did it in...

Anyway, I live in the Lake Livingston area: the closest bigger town would probably be Huntsville - if that helps any..

Thanks for your input & help, Spyral! It is appreciated!

~KK~

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Texas, right?
Yes - I'm sorry.
I'm getting really tired now, and am not thinking straight. Time for bed I reckon!

I don't know if this will help any, but here's the link to the thread I posted when the computer went down. Maybe it'll help explain what occurred that day a little better..

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152013

~KK~

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You know, after reading more into it, the second one for $278 is a better deal. The $199 one does NOT have windows installed. You would have to do it yourself and unless your Army buddy has an operating system laying around, it would not be worth it.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

Yes - I'm sorry.
I'm getting really tired now, and am not thinking straight. Time for bed I reckon!

I don't know if this will help any, but here's the link to the thread I posted when the computer went down. Maybe it'll help explain what occurred that day a little better..

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=152013

~KK~
Well, it sounds like the drive was screwed up, then if the motherboard went out, the computer is toast.

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Does that have a sound card?
Yes, it comes with speakers, mouse and keyboard. It also has Windows Vista pre-installed. It has 1GB of RAM and an 80GB hard drive, it also has a built in network card and modem. It is a competent computer. The reviews say it all. Scroll down on the link I posted, it is all there. I think this is a very cost effective replacement and a significant upgrade from a 10 year old HP Pavilion.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 years old is definitely a paper weight by now. Just remember when buying a cheap computer -as with all electronics, you get what you pay for. Run the idea by your friend first, he may have a better suggestion from a local shop, though it may cost you a couple hundred more.

Also for this -
Originally Posted by KittKatt

All that comes up when you turn the computer on is a blue screen that says HP Invent, and the F1 key for set-up, and the F10 key for system restore. And it won't do anything when you hit those keys..
Also, we don't have any start-up discs: we got the computer from our landlady, and she never gave us any discs when we got it. I sent her an e-mail to ask her if she still had any discs, but I haven't heard from her yet...

I just posted a thread about the computer going down about a week ago, and another one today in which a friend of ours took a look at it, and said we need to get a new CPU (I think that's what it's called. I'm computer illitetate, too
).
Ask your friend for if he has a 98 or windows 2000 disc laying around. You may be able to reformat and reinstall, because honestly your problem sounds more like windows messed up then sudden hardware failure. Couldn't hurt, and it might get you a few months more (or at least till after the holidays) of life out of it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with what others have said - if your computer is 10 years old it is not worth getting a new motherboard, it will be cheaper to buy a new computer. Unless you suddenly need one for recently released games, you won't need to spend more than $300 for a whole new one!

I'm shocked at that price for a new motherboard for it tbh, ours went last year (they don't last forever!) and it cost us £40 to replace it. But then I've never bought a 'brand name' computer - always either built them myself, or had it custom built for me, it's much easier to get replacement parts that way!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your computer was that old to start with, you may be fine getting an off lease or refurbished one. We only keep ours at work for 2-3 years and they are well maintained. There are off-lease stores here that sell them for $150 Canadian so it will probably be less down there. If you wanted to save the extra $$ since you said money was tight.

That way they also come with some warranty from the store too.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7754614

Go down to Wal Mart
1620 West Church
Livingston, TX 77351
(936) 327-6370

Not sure if they have them in the store, but you can order online and expect it in a few days. I hope this helps!
LMAO!
That's just so funny that you happened to post that specific Wal-Mart store, b/c it's the same one I used to work at, and also where my s/o still works!
What a weird coincidence..

To be honest, I wouldn't buy anything as important as a computer at Wal-Mart. I worked there, and I know how they operate. I don't trust them - especially when it comes to electronics & stuff..
But thanks for all your help, and posting those other links. I will be checking them out..

My s/o & I discussed the matter some more again this morning, and we both agree we're better off getting a new computer than to try and start again w/ something used or refurbished. I don't want someone else's "problems", nor either do we want something that will nickel & dime us to death.
If we're gonna do it, we may as well do it right: it just makes more sense to get a new one, if we're gonna have to spend the money anyway. My s/o is gonna ask our landlady for the start-up disc when he sees her at work, and we're gonna at least give that a shot. It doesn't hurt to try: what have we got to lose at this point..

Thanks again peeps for all your help, and your patience in trying to explain all that technical stuff to an illiterate computer dummy! It is appreciated more than y'all know.

~KK~

spyral

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
go to www.dell.com and chose an Inspirion 531s with no additional options. It is the first computer in the home/office section. It comes out to $349. It has everything you will need. Windows Vista, 1Gb RAM, 250Gb hard drive, DVD player and CDR/W drive so you can burn CD's if you want, nice video and sound. It includes a keyboard and mouse and a 1 year in home service plan with a great warranty. it is a Dell, so you know it is good. I use Dell XPS computers only at my office and home. Never had an issue with one of them. Dell even has a finance plan if you need to take advantage of it.