I can't believe what I just had to do!! Was locked out of my apartment......

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First as some may know, I live in NYC, rent an apartment.....I simply went to the store, back in minutes and when I returned and tried to unlock my door, it wasn't working! I have (or should say had) two locks, one bolt lock with the doorknob and the other separate above. This will be the only time (I hope
) I am grateful that the top bolt lock wasn't a heavy duty, professionally installed lock! This was the one that was not opening with my key and I had to bust it by slamming the door with my buttocks over and over
...till finally it gave
! I was so relieved because I was with no phone, no money, just the bare minimum cover up! Then I had to take the entire lock apart to get the door closed and now I have only one lock, which makes me feel uncomfortable in NYC!
What an experience! My hip is a little bruised

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I would have paid money to watch the "buttock busting!"
You must really be strong to do that!

I thought New Yorkers had a minimum of 6 locks on their door?! Hope you get a new one soon and aren't too sore tomorrow. Wonder what your kitty thought about all the banging?

Take care!

Cally

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I thought New Yorkers had a minimum of 6 locks on their door?! Hope you get a new one soon and aren't too sore tomorrow. Wonder what your kitty thought about all the banging?

Take care!

Cally
Now that it is all said and done, It was pretty unbelievable! I am a strong woman, work with power tools all the time, but weigh 135 lbs. at 5'10"... this was the first time my buttocks was the power tool and I was very impressed, I must say
! Six locks is a bit excessive, but one is definitely not enough to feel safe......

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I had had your "buttock busting" skills last month when I locked myself out of my apartment! Had to wait 2 hours for the landlord to come by and let me in---Bella slept through it all-didn't even know I was gone.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

Now that it is all said and done, It was pretty unbelievable! I am a strong woman, work with power tools all the time, but weigh 135 lbs. at 5'10"... this was the first time my buttocks was the power tool and I was very impressed, I must say
! Six locks is a bit excessive, but one is definitely not enough to feel safe......
LOL We have a fire door in the basement and it stick sometimes. This is how I get it to open.

BTW get a new lock asap. Maybe someone played with it. I would be paranoid.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I wish I could say it was all my buttocks, but it was obviously not the best lock, considering I actually bent the bolt eventually..... I forget to mention how confused Maia was! Here is her mom on the other side of the door, but followed by slamming and breaking the door down
. By the time I got in, she was under the bed because she didn't know what was going on! Usually she is very protective and alert of anything out side that is not normal.........

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This thread is cracking me up!
I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that moment

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, glad you were able to get inside safely, even if you ARE a little bruised. I used to get locked out of my old place all the time because the other crazies in the building would lock the door from the inside.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LMAO I hope your hip is ok but your story is one reason I dont lock my doors, also because I lose my keys on a regular basis and the only spare key I have is for my car. Plus if anyone would try to break in while we are gone, the dogs would probably kill them because when they feel we or they are threatened they go into vicious attack mode and if anyone tried to get in while Im home...Well Im not a scared little girl Im as tuff as nails and not afraid to use the 2 22s in the house and the handgun BF keeps up in the closet...I shoot first and ask questions later..After Ive called bf to tell him what I did and then the police to come get the body!!! Thankfully we are out of the way for someone to break in and its well known that our little farm houses are owned by Bob Mertz and Roy Adams so noone messes with our stuff.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatMom2Wires

I'm glad you were able to get in.

I broke my key in my front door lock one time. DH was away on a business trip. I had to go in and out through the basement door until he got back home. I tried to get the key back out of the lock, but couldn't.

You were talking about Maia being frightened. One time when DH and I left to go hunting (long time ago and we don't hunt anymore), we locked ourselves out of the house we were living in at the time. I had to crawl back in through the log box in the garage. It was filled with logs for the fireplace at the time. I opened the log box door and we started removing logs so that I could crawl through. Hydrox was our only "child" at the time and he came into the living room. He saw me, but I was bundled up all in orange with a ski-mask and heavy gloves, the whole bit. Took one look and ran back the hallway! I said, "Hydrox, stop it! It's me!" Once he realized that it was his mom acting stupid, he turned around and came back to me, meowing the whole time. He was either asking me all kinds of questions or yelling at me for giving him a feline heart attack!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww....poor Maia! Glad you got in. It's such a big ol' pain in the butt- (oops....really) being locked out of your apartment. It's only happened to me a couple of times, and once, one of the maintenance guys just stuck a credit card in and opened it.
Great. Just great.
I added a dead-bolt after that.