I Can't Believe This

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm confused. Did the Vet think he had a stroke or not? It certainly sounds like one, yet you said he thinks it's kidney issues. Whatever it turns out to be, like maybe high BP related to kidney issues, hopefully you can treat it with medication to keep it under control. Poor Snowy. And poor YOU...I cannot believe what you have been through these past 3 weeks. Vibes and prayers to you and all your furbabies.

p.s. Being in the UK, can you order meds via the internet and get them cheaper? Usually they are much less expensive to order them that way (pet meds, I am speaking of)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Definitely stroke but unsure what's caused it at this point. Hopefully we will find out early in the week. So far, so good. Son checked on Snowy about 30 minutes ago and his actual words were "Mum. Compared to last night, seeing Snowy now, you'd never know he'd had a stroke".

Lucy had 4 strokes, the first being 5 years ago, then the second about 10 days later, then another about a year later, with the last one about a week after that. She never had another one and fully recovered from them all. Even when she was in her final days on this earth, she never took another stroke.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Snowy's almost back to normal. He's started "padding" again (kneading) and gave himself a good wash this afternoon, well, actually he gave himself the cat equivalent of a long soak in the bath!

Purring non-stop, eating normally etc.

One thing which is out of character with Snowy is what he did last night. He spent all night under the duvet with us, cuddled up to my husband for a while, then with me - in exactly the same position as our Lucy used to - cuddled up to me with his paws on my arm just like she used to.

Having seen a cat grieve before, I really am wondering if Snowy realised Lucy was never coming back and got depressed?

He more or less looked after her for the past 3 years, grooming her, playing with her, curling up with her.

Not sure on this but right now I wouldn't rule anything out. I just hope he continues to improve. We shall see what comes back later in the week but it wouldn't surprise me if nothing untoward was found.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Wouldn't that be wonderful if there is absolutely nothing wrong with him! (although then there is that worry as to why the stroke...depression doesn't cause a stroke, that I know of) But hopefully this was just one of those things that will never happen to him ever again. Not ever, ever ever!!!!!

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

Wouldn't that be wonderful if there is absolutely nothing wrong with him! (although then there is that worry as to why the stroke...depression doesn't cause a stroke, that I know of) But hopefully this was just one of those things that will never happen to him ever again. Not ever, ever ever!!!!!
Although Snowy displayed signs of having had a stroke the night before our vet couldn't find anything physically wrong with Snowy other than he thought his heart sounded a bit muffled but he wasn't certain because Snowy was panting quite hard. It was very hot - something quite rare in our usually cooler UK and Snowy always pants when he goes to the vet. We were only home about 5 minutes when the panting stopped. Snowy is in our bedroom and we have an air conditioning unit in there so it is the most comfortable room in the house.

We're keeping a close eye on Snowy until we find out if there is anything wrong or not.

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Two more days to test results...

How do they check for a stroke? X-ray?
Usually by the signs the cat is displaying/has displayed or by MRI scan which, quite frankly, we can't afford. It's costing us a fortune trying to get Poppy's corneal ulcer healed and she could yet face surgery.

In the many years we've had our cats, this is the first time I've had 3 ill at the same time - Lucy who was PTS age 22, Poppy with her eye problem and Snowy with his possible stroke.

This morning, I get wakened with a "Miaow" and a paw patting my face (another Lucy trait that Snowy is now doing - how strange). Purring at me like a 2 stroke engine, demanding I give him his breakfast and 100% back to normal, even making overtures that he wants to go out.

I really am thinking that he's been grieving for Lucy. I saw it many years ago with Leo our cat who grieved after his doggy pal, Tara passed away through old age. Leo grieved for 3 weeks after Tara died. It is 3 weeks since Lucy died.

Like I said, I'm keeping a very open mind but at least Snowy is back to himself again.

One thing I'd never noticed before though, Snowy is left-pawed.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Maybe he's channeling Lucy, and it started first with a "stroke-like" thing, now he's doing all the things she used to do!!

python

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

Maybe he's channeling Lucy, and it started first with a "stroke-like" thing, now he's doing all the things she used to do!!
I've thought on that too and given my beliefs (Pagan - I'm a practicing Witch) it certainly would not surprise me.

It's a strange thing, but on Friday night, when Snowy had his "turn", both my husband (we're both psychic) felt that Lucy was in the room.

I do think Snowy was missing Lucy as they used to groom each other. Since Lucy died, Snowy's normally beautiful coat was looking a bit unkempt. Today he has it groomed to perfection, not a hair out of place.

Maybe I might get in touch with an animal psychic. There is a very good one who talks to animals - both living and those at Rainbow Bridge. I believe dogs are her speciality but she does cats too. She lives not too far from our area and helped a cat who was known as Mr Grumpy at our local sanctuary. He was so bad-tempered that they didn't think they'd ever find him a home. This lady "spoke" to the cat and discovered why he was so bad-tempered. He was very upset at being abandoned when his owners moved and left him to fend for himself and he didn't like being called Mr Grumpy. The staff changed his name to one the cat picked himself and they said the change in him was amazing. Our local newspaper carried the story and within a week the cat had a new home.

The last I heard was he was very happy in his new home and was a total purrbox and lap cat.

There are so many strange things happen in life that have no explanation - they just happen.