I can't believe this! Could it be cancer?

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had my beloved cat, Emily, put to sleep in early November due to advanced stomach cancer. Now the kitten I got (4 months old) has a pea-sized lump at what I think may have been a vaccine injection site (right rear leg). She is an absolute doll, and I chose very carefully. If she has cancer, I think it will kill ME!

The vet sees her on Thursday. Please, is it possible this is something else?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Been right where you are, my boy got a pea size lump at an injection site too and my prior cat had cancer. I am also the cat mom who is at the vet or calling them frequently for every little thing. I know there isn't much I can say to ease your fears but please try to not worry too much.

The chances of a kitten developing cancer are very small and since she recently got a vaccine it is highly likely it is just a reaction to that.  A visit to the vet is still advisable so they are aware of the reaction and your vet can tell you exactly what to expect in healing. With my boy it took a few weeks and the bump was gone. There is a tiny chance that it won't go away on its own and you can ask your vet about that. What my vet said was they would surgically remove the lump if it grew larger or didn't go away on its own but that typically those lumps were non-malignant. 

You should probably ask your vet which vaccine and the brand they use so that you can ask for an alternative or remind them that she reacted last time when it is time for her booster. 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have had both happen.

First rule, don't get upset.  If this sweet kitten is acting normal, loving life and most important eating, wait and see what the vet says before you drive yourself nuts.

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Best to you and your gal.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! It's a very good idea for me to find out what brand vaccine they used (they said the lump is located where the rabies is given).

Thankfully she is playing and eating well (her two favorite things - playing and eating!).

I'm a bit more sensitive because my other cat (the one just put down) got extremely ill after a vaccination. Her kidneys were failing within 6 hours of a rabies vaccine).

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both so much! It's a very good idea for me to find out what brand vaccine they used (they said the lump is located where the rabies is given).

Thankfully she is playing and eating well (her two favorite things - playing and eating!).

I'm a bit more sensitive because my other cat (the one just put down) got extremely ill after a vaccination. Her kidneys were failing within 6 hours of a rabies vaccine).
I understand where you're coming from. Around new years my Hector died and she wouldn't eat so now whenever Indy or Kabby don't want to eat I get really upset.

I think it's just an instinct we humans have retained from our chimp ancestors to go on high alert after a traumatizing experience.

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, indyjones, definitely! I've become extremely sensitive to my current two cats' health problems now (the kitten with the lump just had surgery on an abscess; it seems she likes to eat sharp things, and the abscess started from a wound in her mouth. That didn't help much).

Thanks again. [emoji]128578[/emoji]

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
According to my vet, the 1 year rabies vaccine doesn't cause cancer but the 3 year vaccine does.  He claims it's the binding agent used, not the vaccine itself.  I'm skeptical as all the online stuff says rabies vaccine, not binding agent in 3 year rabies vaccine.  The feline leukemia vaccine is tied to cancer as well.

Definitely get the lump checked out.  See if a needle biopsy is possible.

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the info. [emoji]128578[/emoji] She goes in on Thursday.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
According to my vet, the 1 year rabies vaccine doesn't cause cancer but the 3 year vaccine does.  He claims it's the binding agent used, not the vaccine itself.  I'm skeptical as all the online stuff says rabies vaccine, not binding agent in 3 year rabies vaccine.  The feline leukemia vaccine is tied to cancer as well.

Definitely get the lump checked out.  See if a needle biopsy is possible.
While these may or may not be true in all honesty I don't believe there is enough evidence to either prove or disprove that vaccinations cause any condition.

Some people believe vaccines cause problems in children as well but again not enough evidence.

Point being since the OP is already a bit upset I don't want to make them more upset by worrying them.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
While these may or may not be true in all honesty I don't believe there is enough evidence to either prove or disprove that vaccinations cause any condition.

Some people believe vaccines cause problems in children as well but again not enough evidence.

Point being since the OP is already a bit upset I don't want to make them more upset by worrying them.
This is not the anti-vaxxers claiming MMR causes autism.  Leading experts in the veterinary field have tied a specific sarcoma that develops on the injection site to the rabies and FeLV vaccines.

Here is the AVMA article on it.  The AVMA page is not a junk science site.

https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Reference/Pages/rbbroch.aspx

My advice is the same - see if a needle biopsy is possible.

trainee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 (now) year old boy had a similar issue after receiving his rabies booster from the shelter vet when I adopted him 5 years ago. The lump was definitely a vaccine reaction. The lump persisted for almost a month and gradually reduced in size until it was gone. The good news (for him & me) is that my vet gives him a different vaccine (purevax)  and he has not had a reaction to that one. I'd definitely get it checked, my vet was very reassuring and calmed me down.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Guys please don't frighten the OP. It probably is just swelling at the site. A very common reaction to having the skin broken by a needle or other sharp object. This is seen in people a lot too.

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm here to update that the lump was only an injection site reaction to the rabies vaccine.

I'm so relieved! I am an overprotective kitty mom & tend to freak out unnecessarily. Emily's stomach cancer that went undetected and resulted in euthanasia four days after diagnosis hasn't helped. This was only back in November.

Thank everyone for your helpful information.

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm here to update that the lump was only an injection site reaction to the rabies vaccine.

I'm so relieved! I am an overprotective kitty mom & tend to freak out unnecessarily. Emily's stomach cancer that went undetected and resulted in euthanasia four days after diagnosis hasn't helped. This was only back in November.

Thank everyone for your helpful information.
I'm very happy to hear this. It's very hard not to worry more about our kitties after you have recently lost another one.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad it turned out to not be serious.!  Cindy once had a reaction to the rabies vaccine, large lump, and it persisted. We were just about to have a biopsy when it went down. I really hate that it's mandatory to give them rabies vaccines. Cats don't even go outside!

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The problem is if your cat bites or scratches someone and they go to the hospital. I have personal experience with this actually.

My friends cat mauled my arm (long story) and I had to go to the hospital because it wouldn't stop bleeding. Her cat had been vaccinated the previous year (3 year vaccine) however she didn't have the certificate to prove it. The ministry forced her to put the cat into isolation for observation. After a week she was allowed to have her cat back.