I can't believe this! But the picture doesn't lie.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

That poor baby cat ......... if the owner knew there were venemous snakes around, I cannot believe she let her cat out. Cats and dogs will naturally go after a moving snake.

I also cannot believe she didnt take her cat to the vet immediately. Having a copperhead around her neck is an obvious sign that the cat was almost positively bitten.

Venom from a snake bite on a cat starts acting immediately, waiting hours later will more than likely cause this poor kitty irreversible effects. I hope it was not a lot of venom.
Some cats are just outside cats, and when you live on a large property, it seems safe to let the kitty outside - it obviously did fine for it's first 9 years. She also said she'd never seen snakes around.

A kitty I used to have in Australia died from a bite from a deadly brown snake. We had no idea there was snakes around, and he was absolutely an outside cat (he was a stray we took in), we just made sure he was in from sunset to sunrise.

Our kitty started acting crazy immediately and died pretty fast. The kitty in the photo looks pretty calm, and if it showed no signs of being bitten (not acting any differently) then they must have assumed the puss was fine. it sounds like the cat only got a very small dose of venom to be so slow acting.

Originally Posted by twstychik

I almost can't believe that! Of course, being an herp-lover I wonder what happened to the snake?
In Australia, it's illegal to kill a snake, so given that a reptile expert was called in, they would have just relocated the snake.

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

I just want to remind everyone that we dont have snakes all over Australia
I was wondering about that. I grew up cutting the heads off of bull snakes and rattlers with shovels (my apologies to twstychk and any other herp-lovers on here, but snakes aren't well liked back home).

Mez

kittee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

I was wondering about that. I grew up cutting the heads off of bull snakes and rattlers with shovels (my apologies to twstychk and any other herp-lovers on here, but snakes aren't well liked back home).

Mez
Yeah that. ^

No offense to others here. I respect snakes and I even like them, but not the deadly ones we would find in between pats of hay or in our horses paddock area's.

Is it really illegal in Australia? I am too afraid to visit your country because of the Funnel web spiders and the brown snakes...and the sharks...and well goodness!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Some cats are just outside cats, and when you live on a large property, it seems safe to let the kitty outside - it obviously did fine for it's first 9 years. She also said she'd never seen snakes around.

A kitty I used to have in Australia died from a bite from a deadly brown snake. We had no idea there was snakes around, and he was absolutely an outside cat (he was a stray we took in), we just made sure he was in from sunset to sunrise.

Our kitty started acting crazy immediately and died pretty fast. The kitty in the photo looks pretty calm, and if it showed no signs of being bitten (not acting any differently) then they must have assumed the puss was fine. it sounds like the cat only got a very small dose of venom to be so slow acting.
Her neighbors had already told her they had seen several every year, whether she had seen them or not. The cat being outside was not safe for the cat or the snake, or even non venemous snakes.

The cat was paralyzed the next day, so Im sure she got a lot of venom. And should have been seen by a vet ASAP because the likelihood of being bitten when she had a venemous snake wrapped around her neck was 99%.

The snake would have retreated to safety first, not gone for a ride around a kitties neck. I still think it was irresponsible on many levels.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard about that on the morning radio show I listen to. That's pretty neat. I was glad to hear the cat is ok.