I burned Dinner!!

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like to use a mild flavored olive oil for everything I saute, and I never turn the burner up past medium, in fact, it's usually a tiny bit lower, it takes longer, but stuff doesn't burn. I like to put the lid on the pan for a few minutes to trap the heat and help it cook faster and retain some juices, then I remove the lid to finish it off. I don't know if this is proper "technique" 'cause no one taught me how to cook
but it seems to work.

Also, the pan you're using may make a difference, the material and quality. A good quality pan conducts heat evenly. And if you use cast iron, it seems to get hotter, but maybe it's just me

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you are too silly! If it makes your feel better- my cousing Christie burnt spaghetti noodles- We still haven't figured that one out yet! There was water in the pot! lol...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

you are too silly! If it makes your feel better- my cousing Christie burnt spaghetti noodles- We still haven't figured that one out yet! There was water in the pot! lol...
hey, I would never burn spaghetti

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

hey, I would never burn spaghetti
See! I knew that would make you feel better!!!
(Hehe, lets just say my cousin's hubby does a lot of cooking
)

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use olive oil for everything on the pan too! Grapeseed oil works great for stir fry. I rarely do meat on the pan/wok. Only if it's cut up into thin and small pieces that cook through very quickly, otherwise I use the oven and an oven bag. Basically just set up and forget type deal (add meat, seasoning, some veggies, sauces if applicable, seal up, set temp to 350, walk away), when you smell the food it's done (usually 1-2 hours later). Even if it's like a pork cutlet that's fried later, I bake first, then egg/bread and fry for like 2 min, and the oven bag prevents juices from leaving the meat and getting all dry. Almost never burns, unless you basically forget it and it's been in there for like 4 hours.

Or I do stew in a pot at very low temp, which is also a setup and forget type deal. Don't eat too much fried stuff at home. I HATE cleaning up after, but I do love fried stuff, just don't have it at home. Guess it keeps me healthy

I will occasionally broil stuff in the oven, skewered chicken or beef, sometimes BBQ, sometimes satay, delish!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom told me once that olive oil burns faster than canola oil...Are you guys sure olive oil is low burn?

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

My mom told me once that olive oil burns faster than canola oil...Are you guys sure olive oil is low burn?
I did a quick search and found this web site http://www.oliveoilsource.com/olive_oil_smoke_point.htm

It looks like it depends on what kind of olive oil you're using, but for the most part, yest canola has a higher smoke point. I think it's negligible though, and it's really a matter of personal preference, I just like olive oil better
And I don't have burning issues unless I leave the food unattended for too long ... anything will burn then

It does look like the grapeseed oil would be best for really high temp cooking (like the wok).