I bought the farm!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yay!!!! Friday!!! Congrats on the new house!  I absolutely love it!! I can't wait to see pictures after you've moved in and have gotten settled!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And guess what! Didn't happen. Argh!

I guess the appraiser hadn't given his final verdict, and didn't until late Thursday afternoon :mad:. Which was that a property with 2 houses absolutely cannot be underwritten by a federal loan. SO, the credit union will have to underwrite the loan in-house. I need to make a larger down payment, and the interest rate will be slightly higher (not very much though, so I don't mind). We have tentatively set the new closing date for next Friday, as the credit union's board only meets on Thursday mornings (the mortgage agent was seriously annoyed that the appraiser didn't contact us until after the board already met. If we had known sooner he would have submitted the loan to the board yesterday!). He said appraisers are always doing stuff like that. Oh well, I just have to be patient!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Another week!!!!!!!!  

How could they do this when there are so many people and pussycats around the globe that are holding their breath and waiting for you to get this place?!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Something similar happened to us.  What frustration!  But soon, you will be in your home.  Vibes it happens without any more hitches ...

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Oh Willowy, I'm sorry. 

I hope next Friday, everything will go smoothly and it will all be over. And then you'll move in and enjoy that great place! 

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I realized I didn't update this! I've been busy :D. Everything went through just fine and I have officially bought the farm. I've been puttering around a bit, and my dad got estimates on the fencing (I need the fence for the dogs before I move in!) but I haven't started moving in yet. I'm afraid to bring the dogs to visit because I found rather a lot of mouse poison all over, and I'm not sure I found it all yet :/. So a little more cleaning and de-poisoning before any animals can come over. There is a jug of something hand-labeled "rat poison" in the basement that's really got me spooked. I'm not sure what to do with it but I think the city has a toxic waste drop-off. . .or I hope they do. Why do farmers like poison so much? ;)

The kitty who came with the property is named Petunia and she's 13. She's chubby and the food they left was dry Deli Cat (bleh), but she really likes canned food so transitioning isn't going to be a problem. She's de-clawed in front :(. She's a friendly girl. They kept her outside but I put her inside, partly because she's de-clawed and partly so she can discourage mice from moving in. There is also a feral living under the corn crib, who oddly has a very tidy notch out of his ear. I only know of one vet who does TNR with eartipping and he does a straight-across cut, so either this is an oddly tidy old injury or there's another vet doing TNR/eartipping that I don't know about. The former owners didn't say anything about it. I guess I'll eventually figure out if he's neutered or not. . .I'm pretty sure it's a male because he looks masculine :lol3:.

They left a huge freezer in the basement, big enough to fit an entire cow, I think. Which will be nice for the pets' meat, but I hope it never breaks because I'm not sure it can get out of that basement, LOL.

Anyway, thanks for all the well-wishes and I'll try to get some pictures up.

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations!! That's wonderful. It's a pity we can't have a TCS working bee and help you move! Hope it all goes smoothly and you love your new home :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations!!!  
I hope you can get all that rat poison out of there!  And I hope Petunia does well keeping the mice out!  Good luck getting everything together so you can move in!! 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Whooopeee    

Congratulations on your new home!  Hope you get it de-poisoned soon so you can start getting sorted out.   We might not be able to be hands on with helping your move but you know we'll be there in spirit, and happy to party the minute you get moved in. 

So happy for you.  (Sounds like you might need a few more cats too -  control those rats the previous owner was so determined to get the better of - what a shame    

).  

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Yay you! And bless your heart for taking in those two kitties. Petunia seems like a real sweetie. Hope you can get the poison removed without a lot of trouble. You go, woman!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 (Sounds like you might need a few more cats too -  control those rats the previous owner was so determined to get the better of - what a shame    :bicolor:    :catguy: ).  
LOL. . .I do NOT need more cats. . .I have 24 indoor cats currently :tongue2:. Once they get moved in there will be no more rodent problems, I'm sure. ;) :lol3: I've stocked up on Feliway so hopefully I can "de-cat" the in-town house soon.

I think I found all the mouse poison but how do I know for sure? :/ Ugh. I suppose I won't be satisfied until I comb every corner of the property. I already emptied the closets and cabinets in the old house, the chicken shed, and part of the basement so I'm getting there. Just the rest of the basement, the corn crib and old garage (which might fall on me :eek:) left now.