I am trying to learn to paint, and a pic of what I painted

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

I think it's fantastic. I don't know crap about art, but I don't think you should try to "fix" your paintings at this point. Leave them be and track your progress as you improve! When you get the inclination to fix one, make a new painting instead!
Very good advice!

As for the suggestion from strange_wings about doing Christmas ornaments, very good idea. That is how I started painting. We were really poor one Christmas. I had ideas and my husband had a power saw that could cut shapes for me. I made ornaments for our families and they are still treasured to this day. I found a passion that hasn't left me. I prefer acrylics, because I like to paint on things....flower pots, jewelry boxes, ceramic tiles. I love painting on ceramic tiles a lot. It offers alot of range. You can do scenes, flowers, animals...whatever. I have to say that animals are hard for me to get what I want the way I want it. Hang in there. If it makes you feel good, then it's what you need to do. Don't keep trying to fix a painting....sometimes it works, usually not and leaves you frustrated. Have fun with it...that is what it's all about for me. It feels peacefull for me when I'm painting...no other thoughts in my head.

Wow, sorry to go on!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I didn't mean to actually make ornaments. I meant to paint a picture of one - with an unfocused background of green and shadows could look like a tree, or something along those lines.

Painting from an object can sometimes be easier than using a picture, and much easier than using a live model. You can pick the object up and get a really close look at it if needed.