I Am the Worst Caretaker Ever

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Need an answer in the next hour. I was washing out the self warming pads for the cats so they can be ready when winter comes. I used Tide laundry soap. I accidentally splashed some of that water in the water bowls. I'm so stupid I left the water bowls sit nearby. :( Anyway I ran Five pots (20 oz) of scalding hot water (220 degrees) over the bowls. Will the cats be ok or did I really do it this time? Ugh I am so dense I dont' deserve these cats. :(

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you wash them with dishwashing liquid, you should be fine. The dishwashing soap should wash away any detergent residue your rinsing did not. And it's meant for dishes so it, itself, should not leave any residue.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
Those bowls are cleaner than they've every been. Kitties will be fine. :) Trust me when I say, every single person on here has had moments like that with their cats/pets. Totally normal. Don;t beat yourself up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea Mom won't let me use her dish soap because people are hoarding them here where I live so I had no choice but to do just scalding hot water

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was afraid I'd accidentally poisoned Selene when she licked my hand after I used clove oil. I was so relieved when my vet's after-hours service told me symptoms would've started almost immediately if that had been the case. EmersonandEvie EmersonandEvie is right-we've all had those moments.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks all. I did check with a vet and he said the hot water at that temperature would have killed anything. I worry too much about these cats.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yea Mom won't let me use her dish soap because people are hoarding them here where I live so I had no choice but to do just scalding hot water
It's probably fine with just the hot water rinse that you did. But gosh! You need so little dish soap. Mom can't spare a drop per dish?

Presumably soap is soap. There's a fat soluble component that helps dissolve oils and greases, and a water soluble component that allows it all to rinse away. But laundry detergent is not the same as dish soap. I wouldn't be concerned if laundry detergent didn't wash away completely in the laundry because a little residue on your clothes shouldn't be a big deal for most people. But dish soap is made specifically to not leave a residue since you're going to eat or drink from those items. So that's why I recommend just a little dish soap to be on the safe side.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
Need an answer in the next hour. I was washing out the self warming pads for the cats so they can be ready when winter comes. I used Tide laundry soap. I accidentally splashed some of that water in the water bowls. I'm so stupid I left the water bowls sit nearby. :( Anyway I ran Five pots (20 oz) of scalding hot water (220 degrees) over the bowls. Will the cats be ok or did I really do it this time? Ugh I am so dense I dont' deserve these cats. :(
Please don't be so hard on yourself. Mistakes happen, we are only human. If you washed the bowls as thoroughly as you said right after the incident than all should be well. I think cats would pick up on the smell of Tide and steer clear, so no need to worry. Your kitties should be fine. 🙂

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
These are outdoor cats. They are tough. I am sure they have gotten into worse stuff than a splash of soapy water. You always go to the "worst case scenario " and it always turns out fine.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're not a horrible caretaker. A horrible caretaker wouldn't be here asking for help. We all make mistakes and do things like that. Your kitties will be fine.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
If you wash them with dishwashing liquid, you should be fine. The dishwashing soap should wash away any detergent residue your rinsing did not. And it's meant for dishes so it, itself, should not leave any residue.
I just got a small bottle of Dawn Dish detergent. I heard as far as wildlife (cats as well) it's the best to use as it's easier to rinse off after washing dishes and water bowls. I don't know may be just a sales pitch. Mom uses Palmolive. Anyway I now wash the dishes every morning and night with Dawn and rinse for 5 minutes under cold water as cold water gets rid of the suds of the dish detergent.. And old socks without it's mate are great for washing and drying the cat bowls and dishes. I have a whole drawer of them (8 socks reserved for my powerbanks for outside during winter).