I am so saddened

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It always bothers me too when people let their long haired cats get in such an awful condition (the ones that don't even try). I think a lot of people want a fluffy long haired kitten and then once the cat's coat gets matted up and the people realize how much work it is, they often then abandon the cat. I never find a lack of Persian's that need fostering or rescueing because of that. Poor babies.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i have groomed short haired cats in the past that have got loads of little tufty mats all over their flanks. never ceased to amaze me the excuses that people would come up with.

my rb cat daisy although short haired, had a terribly thick coat that she struggled to maintain alone. she also hated being brushed. i tried many different ways before discovering that if i took her onto the patio she would tolerate the grooming no problem. you just find a way!

filteredsunlite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can sympathize completely!! My first job was in a dog grooming salon. The condition that some of those people would bring their pets in in! It was just sad. I'll always remember this one poodle in particular; the guy brought her in so badly matted that we had no choice but to completely shave her. Then he comes back and yells at US for doing it! My boss, the owner of the salon, felt so badly for the dog that she offered to buy her from him if he didn't want her and care enough for her to take care of her properly, but of course those kinds of people never see the wrong in what they're doing.

I love persians, but I don't feel that I would have the time to keep up with one so I leave those to other people and just enjoy the pictures and visits when the opportunity presents itself.

helen863

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Samson is going to be my first long haired cat Ive owned, i grew up with short hairs. But i think i will enjoy brushing him. Heard that whilst maine coons are long they dont matt as much as some do.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosie_863

Samson is going to be my first long haired cat Ive owned, i grew up with short hairs. But i think i will enjoy brushing him. Heard that whilst maine coons are long they dont matt as much as some do.
That is mostly true.
But as is the case with my NFC (same coat type) as they get older, they don't groom themselves as well and require more care, as well as if they are not on the best possible diet.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had SHs all my life. Thought I would like a LH, so a friend of mine gave me a good price on a show Turkish Angora kitten. I learned how to groom LH's thru him, but believe me, it didn't last long. It was a PITB to wash him and have to spend over an hour combing and blow drying the cat.

I didn't have the patience to do this all the time. And he also was one of the few cats I owned that didn't like showing as an adult (neutered and shown as a kitten). He just got worse instead of better. So I wound up giving him to a friend of mine who liked LH's and she adores him.

That was the first and last LH cat I will own