I am so not a girly girl

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a total tomboy, but, I do have make-up that I'll wear if I have to, but when I moved to the desert, I had to stop wearing any at all.

All it does is melt when I sweat, so it all ends up in my bra anyway

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Over the years I've gotten so turned off by make-up ads that I pretty much have stopped wearing it.

When I see the ads about how young your skin can look and how some of it works as well as surgery I feel like throwing something at the TV.

The give women unrealistic information and it irks me. Most of the models are between 18 and 25 with the exception of some of the actresses but it's all nonsense.

I stopped buying expensive makeup years ago. I still wear makeup for special outings and hubby likes it when I "doll up" but I don't spend the big bucks on the big names. I even find Mary Kay and Avon to be over-priced for what you get. I generally just go to Shopper's Drug Mart and get a water-based foundation that matches my skin and doesn't cost me a week's salary.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wear foundation & that's about it. I use it to *try* to cover some nasty scars on my chin & it helps somewhat....other than that - why crayon it on?

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Sarah that's soo funny
I guess i'm the opposite! I refuse to leave the house without makeup on! I won't even go to the gym without some
I'm not into huge thick layers of it, but I definitely feel better with a nice light layer of makeup

Is your scar getting any better hon? Any less sensitive?
I am the EXACT same way! I don't ever wear TOO much unless we go out but a nice layer ANYTIME I am out of the house! Even to the gym here as well

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gotta add my two cents here

"Makeup" doesnt have to be heavy, overdone, uncomfortable, time consuming, or confusing

My own personal routine most days is some light colored lip gloss (you dont even need a mirror to apply) and some shimmery light eye shadow. Most days Ill add some black eyeliner on the top lid (about 45 sec to apply)

Not all people like wearing makeup (obviously). I kinda think that if you try the right color and someone shows you how to put it on , well it changes so much. On my worst days when I dont want to do anything, sometimes just a shower and some eye liner brighten my day and since you have makeup on you gotta go out right?

and FYI
foundation is a kind of skin care since it provides another layer of protection against the elements, etc. I usually skip it, but admire women who go the extra mile. In any case, it is good to know and have emergency makeup on hand
(Did I mention Im a Mary Kay rep?)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can so relate to that! I have a cupboard full of hair products, face creams and a huge basket of makeup that is probably 10 years old!!

Twice this year I wore mascara (a new tube that I've had here for about 10 years and never opened), a bit of blush, and lipstick. Prior to that I can't remember the last time I wore makeup of any kind.

Now on the other hand when I was in my teens and twenties, and maybe early 30's, I wouldn't have been caught dead without it. I even carried a makeup case with me and reapplied it during the day or evening.

I much prefer the look and feel of natural skin, and so do most men from what I've discovered. I get more compliments on how pretty I am and how good my skin looks now than I did when I packed on the makeup.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm going out with a couple of friends tonight for dinner and drinks. I though I might throw on some make up for the occasion and couldn't find any.
I even remember the last time I wore make up - December last year

I did find some foundation, but I just put it on my scar (and it looks much better!). I couldn't even find any lip gloss.

I did manage to dig up some perfume my SIL bought me that I have never used, and put that on, but all it's done is make my headache worse.
You sound like a woman after my own heart! I broke up with a girl I was very serious about in college because I finally realized she would never be happy riding on the back of my motorcycle.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

I gotta add my two cents here

"Makeup" doesnt have to be heavy, overdone, uncomfortable, time consuming, or confusing

My own personal routine most days is some light colored lip gloss (you dont even need a mirror to apply) and some shimmery light eye shadow. Most days Ill add some black eyeliner on the top lid (about 45 sec to apply)

Not all people like wearing makeup (obviously). I kinda think that if you try the right color and someone shows you how to put it on , well it changes so much. On my worst days when I dont want to do anything, sometimes just a shower and some eye liner brighten my day and since you have makeup on you gotta go out right?

and FYI
foundation is a kind of skin care since it provides another layer of protection against the elements, etc. I usually skip it, but admire women who go the extra mile. In any case, it is good to know and have emergency makeup on hand
(Did I mention Im a Mary Kay rep?)
I agree - makeup does not need to be heavy and certainly looks better if NOT overdone.

As for shimmery eye shadow, as an older woman I know that is one thing I definitely need to stay far away from. Same with shimmery nail polish. There's nothing like shimmery to emphasize each and every wrinkle and make the hand look older.

I've done the eyeliner thing and all I've ever found is that I look like a raccoon.

As you say, if we could find someone to teach us the correct way to wear makeup that would be wonderful. Unfortunately, I've found that even the young women who work in cosmetics often know less than I do and I don't know much.

One thing I do think is important is for anyone with a daughter, take them to someone professional to learn how to wear makeup appropriately which is what I did with our daughter when she turned 13 (that means not wearing certain makeups at younger ages). I see too many teens looking like hookers when they have that beautiful youthful face and eyes to work with to enhance their natural beauty.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I agree - makeup does not need to be heavy and certainly looks better if NOT overdone.

As for shimmery eye shadow, as an older woman I know that is one thing I definitely need to stay far away from. Same with shimmery nail polish. There's nothing like shimmery to emphasize each and every wrinkle and make the hand look older.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. Not glittery. Definetly not even for me, unless Holloween. But something light reflecting is very flattering in small doses on everyone. Too many matte eye shadows look one dimensional.

But this is a thread for not wearing makeup. And I totally support that most days!