I am so FURIOUS over declawing right now!!!!

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I took my Squeak to the vet after I brought her home from the shelter, just for a wellness check. They did the basic exam, cleaned her ears, discussed her diet with me, etc. and they didn't charge me. She was up to date on all her shots, so she didn't need anything. I doubt they're flawless, but I was very appreciative.
Wow that is great. When I took my kitten in for a wellness check it was $100 just for the visit! 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think Chloespriestess nailed the issue as I see it.

Either we view cats as beings in their own right that we share our homes and hearts with; or they are a kind of property, something almost as a form of entertainment, something to make us happy.

If we feel the first way, no matter we grew up with declawed cats or not, we honor the cat's nature, and declawing isn't an option.

If we feel the second way, we can justify declawing.

There are plenty of people who love their cats, grew up in a place where declawing was the norm, and never thought about it. Never having seen how important claws are to a cat, at that point lack of experience and education are the problem. Which is why vets should be required to provide that education. Since declawing will never be illegal in the U.S. as a country, at a minimum, states should make the "would you like a declaw with that spay" illegal.

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had no idea that you could de bark a dog?!

Wth!?

Do they essentially make him forever mute?

Omg

Poor doggy :'(

As for the declawd I'm against it. Although I have leather couches of less than a yr old that are all completely scratched. I have scratching posts around my apt, but shadow will scratch anything, not just the couch. If he could, he would scratch the walls. I've seen him attempt it. So I'm nor sure how to train him to only scratch the posts I guess... I've done a LOT of reading and trying to teach him but he does it anywhere still.

I know of someone who declawed their cat. They did it because their cat would jump at them and scratch them severely. I'm not happy about that but I also do not know what else they could've done. They both work a lot...

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Wth!?

Omg

Poor doggy :'(

As for the declawd I'm against it. Although I have leather couches of less than a yr old that are all completely scratched. I have scratching posts around my apt, but shadow will scratch anything, not just the couch. If he could, he would scratch the walls. I've seen him attempt it. So I'm nor sure how to train him to only scratch the posts I guess... I've done a LOT of reading and trying to teach him but he does it anywhere still.

I know of someone who declawed their cat. They did it because their cat would jump at them and scratch them severely. I'm not happy about that but I also do not know what else they could've done. They both work a lot...
Softpaws are a great option if behaviour modification does not work. They last a month and you can get a groomer or a vet to put them on the first time to show you how. 

msbedelia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Wth!?

It's horrible. The dogs still try to bark, and sometimes succeed at making a horrible rasping noise or some other strange unnatural sound. It's very very sad. It also brings along many serious health risks.

And like declawing can sometimes be, it's sometimes justified as the last resort to allow an owner to keep a dog that ends up being given up anyway. There are some heartbreaking videos from families who have rescued debarked dogs on YouTube.

icy87

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel so sad for those dogs :'(

Are the soft paws glued on or something? I have seen them in petsmart but I didn't buy them cuz they had them in pink and my cat is a boy.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And like declawing can sometimes be, it's sometimes justified as the last resort to allow an owner to keep a dog that ends up being given up anyway. There are some heartbreaking videos from families who have rescued debarked dogs on YouTube.
Yeah, this is something i find particularly galling.  While I am 100% against declawing in 99.9% of situations, there are the .1 % of situations where I do think it can or cound be justified as a last resort as opposed to euthenasia in the case of a cat who is not going to be adoptable (for instance, the cat mentioned much earlier in this thread who had a propensity to attack kids and hadn't responded to extensive behavior modification attempts and managed to get soft paws off).  If I have a kid, and that is the situation, and my at is 9 years old, maybe I do consider declawing strongly.  The real issue is most people who do declawing as a 'last resort' (or at least an unacceptably high number) haven't ACTUALLY exhausted all the options or else are IMO overvaluing stuff like furniture over a cat's well being.

Last edited: