I am so freaking mad right now

ravyn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to say those citronella collars work wonders. I got an EVICTION notice on my apartment door, at the last complex I lived in. Apparently my dogs had been barking for WEEKS while I was at work and several neighbors had complained. Mind, I had no idea. They were quiet when I left and quiet when I came home, and no one complained to me or so much as taped a note to my door. Apparently, one of the neighbors had even threatened to call animal control because they thought the dogs were being starved, and that's why they were barking.

I went to the office immediately, flabbergasted by all this. I told her that I could not fix a problem I didn't know about, and why had no one notified me of this earlier? She just kind of shrugged and said if the problem was solved in the next week the eviction order would be trashed.

I went out and got a pair of citronella collars and put them on. Problem instantly solved. I went back three days later and asked if my dogs were still an issue and she was shocked. She hadn't heard a peep out of them in those three days. I told her 'yeah, could have all been quiet sooner if someone had just told me about the problem!'

Now my girls don't need citronella at all. Every seven or eight months my boxer will forget and woof once or twice in her crate when I leave, but I put the collar on her for that one day and all's good once more.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2salemisis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Orig. from Texas.. Currently in Minnesota (again)
Originally Posted by Ravyn

I have to say those citronella collars work wonders. I got an EVICTION notice on my apartment door, at the last complex I lived in. Apparently my dogs had been barking for WEEKS while I was at work and several neighbors had complained. Mind, I had no idea. They were quiet when I left and quiet when I came home, and no one complained to me or so much as taped a note to my door. Apparently, one of the neighbors had even threatened to call animal control because they thought the dogs were being starved, and that's why they were barking.

I went to the office immediately, flabbergasted by all this. I told her that I could not fix a problem I didn't know about, and why had no one notified me of this earlier? She just kind of shrugged and said if the problem was solved in the next week the eviction order would be trashed.

I went out and got a pair of citronella collars and put them on. Problem instantly solved. I went back three days later and asked if my dogs were still an issue and she was shocked. She hadn't heard a peep out of them in those three days. I told her 'yeah, could have all been quiet sooner if someone had just told me about the problem!'

Now my girls don't need citronella at all. Every seven or eight months my boxer will forget and woof once or twice in her crate when I leave, but I put the collar on her for that one day and all's good once more.
ive never heard of those! where do you get them i think im gonna need one for Nahima seeing as how she never really barks she howls!!!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you live near a Petsmart or Petco, they usually carry citronella collars. They can also be found online.

I love the way they work, because it's totally humane for the dog - nothing painful, just a very effective distraction to stop the barking and howling.
I'm glad they worked for your dogs, Ravyn!

crys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it's great you get to keep your dogs,but please don't look down on the police officer who came to your house. He was just doing his job and I'm pleased their was someone who cared enough to check on the dogs. Not all animals are lucky enough to have a good home and owner like you. Good luck with your dogs.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by joecool

What is a citronella collar?
It's a collar with a sensor and a little cylinder of citronella spray (strong-smelling but harmless) that sprays citronella when the dog barks.

The strong scent of the citronella serves as a distraction to stop dogs from boredom barking. It won't stop a dog from barking at an intruder, because then the stimulus to bark is stronger than the distraction of the spray, but it works great for dogs who bark at minor things, or who bark because they're bored.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pleased to hear that the situation has been resolved so well!