I am so dead...

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, I knicked some lady's car in a parking lot this morning. My parents are going to kill me. She's calling me back with the estimate tonight. It's a scratch. She thinks it will cost $300, at least. It's a scratch, about 10 cm long and I did more damage to my dad's van than I did to her car.
Argh... I just can't win. Some guy parked really close in behind me so I was watching the back of the van, and I hit her car with the front corner. I'm not used to driving the van because it's so much longer than my car... I just want to scream. I hope I don't have to put it thru my insurance, it's already high enough with a safe driving record. I've only had my license for a month, and I've already done this.

I'm just going to go crawl in a hole now, okay?

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I KNOW the problem. It's the same reason I hate driving hubby's van (but it's the only decent vehicle we have right now). If it's about $300 don't go with insurance because you don't need that on your record. It won't go on your DMV record because it was in a parking lot. The worst part will be your parents, but you know what my Dad told me after something similar happened to me when I was 16? "At least you're okay. We can fix the car."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by TTMom
I KNOW the problem. It's the same reason I hate driving hubby's van (but it's the only decent vehicle we have right now). If it's about $300 don't go with insurance because you don't need that on your record. It won't go on your DMV record because it was in a parking lot. The worst part will be your parents, but you know what my Dad told me after something similar happened to me when I was 16? "At least you're okay. We can fix the car."
Yeah, I don't think I'll run it thru the insurance, but if it's a lot, I will have to. At first she said she wasn't going to bother getting it fixed, but then she called her husband...and well, you know how men are with cars! The thing I'm worried most about, is there was an existing dent on her car and she was eyeing it suspciously... I sure hope she doesn't make me pay to fix it too, because I really cannot prove that I didn't do it, I just remember seeing it there before.

I called my dad and told him. He's not as mad as I thought he'd be. Just the usual "BE MORE OBSERVANT!" speech... which I knew was coming anyway. I still haven't called mom. I'll wait 'til she comes home on her lunch break and I'll tell her then.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she tries to make you pay for the older dent have it inspected by a professional. They can tell you if you put that dent in or not and then you have paperwork to prove you didn't do it if she tries to get smart on you.

On insurance--don't go that way unless you're prepared to pay at least twice as much on insurance every year. I was in a car accident last year and it wasn't even my fault and my insurance doubled AND I was considered one of their best customers before that, getting all kinds of discounts and bonuses.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Uh-oh! I must commend you for being honest about hitting the car & fixing it, though!

My car got dents on front & back bumpers and on a fender w/in a month after I got it, all from hit & runs in parking lots.
First decent-looking car I've ever had, and now it looks trashy. And I know they had to know they hit my car, from the size of the dents.
Obviously they weren't good people like you. I hope it's not too costly for your family, and that lady doesn't try to claim more damage than was actually done by you.

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by tuxedokitties
Uh-oh! I must commend you for being honest about hitting the car & fixing it, though!

My car got dents on front & back bumpers and on a fender w/in a month after I got it, all from hit & runs in parking lots.
First decent-looking car I've ever had, and now it looks trashy. And I know they had to know they hit my car, from the size of the dents.
Obviously they weren't good people like you. I hope it's not too costly for your family, and that lady doesn't try to claim more damage than was actually done by you.
TTMom: I definitely won't go the insurance route. Thanks for warning me.

Tuxedo: I'm really sorry about your car. I couldn't have just left... my conscience would have driven me crazy. Well, actually, I did leave. My house is about a block away from the library and the only reason why I took the van was because I had a painting class today and lots of stuff to carry. I drove home because I didn't want to pull back into that spot (the only one available) and risk hitting her again (which would totally be my luck). But I ran back and was only gone for about 3 minutes. I know it was wrong to leave but I didn't want to do anymore damage, and I went right back. I also told someone in the parking lot that I'd be back and gave them my name and asked them if they could wait for me, in case someone called the police or something.

I went back again this afternoon (she works there), armed with some car wax and a couple rags. I asked her if it was okay if I tried to wax some of the scratch out, and she said that it was okay. So I waxed her whole car down, and most of the damage came out! There's just a little bit there now. And she said that because I admitted I did wrong and I came back and waxed her car, that she'll try to convince her husband that the little remaining mark doesn't need fixing. I'm so relieved. It was much better to deal with after we'd both had some time to cool down.

Plus, I can pay for whatever damage has been done now because McDonald's just called and hired me! Whoooo hooooooo!

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How super, Jenn! Hope her husband says it's no big deal & that's the end of it! Hope you love your new job, too. Congratulations!

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenn, I hope it's not too expensive for you. Don't feel bad, in my first car accident I totalled my mom's car. It wasn't pretty, I pulled across a lane of traffic, didn't see the other car coming, and got hid on the side. Nobody was hurt, but it wasn't fun.

The owner of the other car should get a couple of estimates, just out of courtesy, since you were honest in going back. Some shops charge more, especially dealerships. Good luck.

Congratulations on getting a job, too.

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys.

(The waxing was actually my mom's idea, lol. But it worked well!)

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenn, congratulations on the job! I hope you don't have to use your college savings to pay for car repairs.

I did something the same, except it a car owned by someone I know who worked in the building next door. The paint was scraped, but not broken down to the raw metal of the car, that's important. And in my case, I caused a nice long crease in the fender that I ran up against. So she needed to have that banged out, and then the whole fender repainted. That cost $400.00 (and that is Canadian money). So, if all you did was a small scratch with no deep dent, there is minimal cost to repairing that - all she needs is the dent pushed back out, and some scratch remover. I'd guess a couple hundred dollars at the most. And really, if she is decent, she would just say, things happen, and not bother at all.

That's what I would do if you hit me.

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jenn I know how you feel. Beleive me it could be a whole lot worse.

Example:The roads were wet, my brakes failed, slammed into a car at the red light. Trashed my car in the front end, didn't hurt the other car much. I got a call from my insurance company two days later that the elderly gentleman that was driving the other car had died. The only thing I could think about was OMG I killed him. It was horriable!

The people at my insurance company assured me that I was not the cause of his death, it was from natural causes, but never the less I still felt like it was my fault.

After wearing the flea collar(that is what I called the neck collar) for 6 months I was finally able to hold my own head up. Anywho enough rambling...sorry!

I have to commend you for doing the right thing. You are a good person

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be even worse,A few years ago, I drove my mom's Acura Legend home one night and parked it across the driveway from my house. The next morning I forgot about it and backed my SUV into it, hit it right on the hinge of the front door, so insurance had to replace the front wheel panel AND the drivers side door. Then........
About a month ago, I proceeded to back my fathers Trooper into the dumpster behind our store, and I dodge it every day !

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by KittenKrazy
Could be even worse,A few years ago, I drove my mom's Acura Legend home one night and parked it across the driveway from my house. The next morning I forgot about it and backed my SUV into it, hit it right on the hinge of the front door, so insurance had to replace the front wheel panel AND the drivers side door. Then........
About a month ago, I proceeded to back my fathers Trooper into the dumpster behind our store, and I dodge it every day !
Well, I know who's NOT driving on our next road trip!

dougbug

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
as you will learn, the longer you drive things like that happens, so dont feel to bad and beat yourself up, you was awful nice for telling the lady, she should take that into consideration, hope things goes better for ya

sockiesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by katl8e
Well, I know who's NOT driving on our next road trip!
LOL!

Thanks for all your kind words, guys. I know it could have been much worse but I posted that right after it happened and you know how everything seems magnified 300 times right after something happens.