I am so angry

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

Fred was an adult male though!
It's pretty darned obvious when a male is intact, they should have looked before asking.

OP, I would definitely confront them on this, and take it to your state's veterinary licensing board if need be (though likely, the mere threat of that will work wonders), malpractice in Vets is just as serious as in MDs.
re: Fred - when i bring my cats in for the first visit, i'm always asked if they've been spayed/neutered. seems like all vets would ask this just as a routine question!

for Cindy - it's worthwhile to complain - you have nothing to lose! you may not get anywhere, tho - i complained for a surcharge on Java's spay. she was in heat at the time, which i informed them of...both when i made the appointment & when i brought her in. the office policy was to charge $20 extra for a heat spay. they didn't bother to inform me of that, tho - i was surprised by the higher bill when i picked her up. they knew money was an issue [i teach school - trust me, money's ALWAYS an issue!] because i was picking her up the same day to avoid the overnight bill. i thought perhaps the problem was the office staff, as i had been very pleased with this vet when Mouse was so sick. so i wrote him a lettter, explaining why i was angry. never heard a thing from him. i switched vets - mainly because i want to know EVERYTHING upfront, & i don't think that's an unreasonable request.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure what your situation is like, so I'm not suggesting this as advice, but rather a statement of what I would (ideally) do.

I would attempt to persue this in the most strenous legal terms - vet. malpractice, whatever the term might be. This is both a personal thing (it happened to you personally, and you deserve redress) and an impersonal thing (this vet/practice) is behaving in a way that is unprofessional and actively cruel. Further, some of the other posts suggest that this sort of thing is not uncommon in the states - if more vets were afraid of being sued of the face of the earth and de-registered, they might think twice about behaving in these unconsciounable ways.

Anyway, that's just my two cents.

etain

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your vet AAHA certified? If so, you need to visit their website or call them and find out what the protocol is for reporting something like this, I think pictures are a good idea. Also, while it is still fresh in your mind, sit down and write out every detail that you can accurately remember.

If you do not get satisfactory resolution from your vet and/or from their professional organization, hit them where it hurts, go to the local news station, news papers, animal rescue organizations etc ... get the word out. There are enough people out there who will be appalled by what they did that it will effect their reputation and their ability to do business, even if no legal action is taken against them. If you do want to find out what your legal options there, find a few mal-practice lawyers who do free consultations, take all of your documentation with you, and see what they have to say.

I know it would be easier just to let this go and forget about it, but you should at the very least report them to the professional organization that certifies their clinic and to the state licensing board as well. If they did this to you, what will they do to other people and their pets? You can bet this is not a one time deal.

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just read this and I'm wondering if anything came of this? If that were me, I'd be LIVID! I'd be down there faster then a dog at dinnertime DEMANDING to see whoever not only did the surgery, but is in charge of the place, and the person who changed the document. Heads would be rolling that's for sure. Noone would put my cats in unnecessary pain like that and get away with it.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too would be livid. there is no way they had to open up the cat to see if she was neutered. Any vet should be able to figure that out, without a scare. Yes they should be able to feel her uterus present or not.

I would first ask for my money back since they did unnecessary surgery. If they give it to you, good, and then I would report them to whatever regulatory, and licensing agencies there are.

If he doesn't give you back your money, I would make a sign saying this vet does unnecessary surgeries, and creul to animals, something like that and march in front of his practice every day for as long as I could. You are within your rights to do this and if they call the police ther is nothing they can don to stop you as long as you don't harrass the customers. I would also have the whole story printed and hand it to customers to read as they walked in. I wouold make sure every one of his customers knew who they were dealing with.
I would also file a claim in small claims court, it won't cast much and with a sympathetic judge, you could prevail. I am not sure you would be able to get money for pain and suffering unless you hired a lawyer, but I would ask for the fee of the surgery, the transportain, the time you took off work, and if the judge sees fit, a dollar amount for pain and suffering. Make sure you make that optionial because some judges may see that as tryingto be greedy and will dismiss the whole thing. That vet would be damn sorry he did that to my cat, that's for sure. let us kniow what happens. It is a long and tedious project, but this guy should be taught a lesson so he doesn't do it to others. Too many times we are too busy and complacent to opursue these things. Just make it part of your daily routine.