I am so angry!!!

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like the last poster said, I would most definitely make grandma tell Annabelle (wonderful name by the way!) I can't even imagine how someone could be so sick. It's just disgusting. It is your grandmother's responsibility to explain to her granddaughter why the dog is no longer around. She wanted convenience so badly, it wouldn't hurt her to have the inconvenience of needing to explain this to a little girl. It is her responsibility as far as I am concerned.

I can't imagine getting a tiny dog and expecting it to not piddle on the floor. I have a friend with two Maltese dogs, they just get so excited and have such tiny little bladders that it is hard for them to hold it.

My uncle-in-law just got a 3 year old Yorkie from a backyard breeder who sold her for $200.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

Like the last poster said, I would most definitely make grandma tell Annabelle (wonderful name by the way!) I can't even imagine how someone could be so sick. It's just disgusting. It is your grandmother's responsibility to explain to her granddaughter why the dog is no longer around. She wanted convenience so badly, it wouldn't hurt her to have the inconvenience of needing to explain this to a little girl. It is her responsibility as far as I am concerned.
I would not allow the grandparents to explain this to a 3 y/o. If she was 10 or older, maybe she could understand, but at 3 you think adults and grandparents are to be trusted. How could a 3 year old possibly comprehend such an act?

Tell Annabelle that Cricket is in heaven. If she presses you, lie. (I know, its not good to lie to kids...but it also isn't good to crush their spirits by saying Grandma killed your little furry friend!)

Rest in peace, Cricket. Poor little doggy. Hopefully they will refrain from getting another pet.

butterflydream

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What she said......just keep it short and simple.....Cricket went to Heaven and she is going to watch over you forever and always.

It is a shame that people do that sort of things....me.....It is hard to watch an animal suffer and I can understand euthanization for those reasons...but just for a behavior problem...I'm just really sorry for your whole situation.

meowsas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am in shock the vet did it.
Its simply horrific. no wonder you are shocked.
poor dog..
I would decide on a story . that the dog died, maybe ran in front of a car and have your parents swear to stick to it.
on a side issue I would consider them unfit on any care giving be it human or animal.
Where did they get the dog from? is it possible to put a report into local breeders/ rescue shelters so they cannot adopt again?

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is how I got my Vino, his owners were tired of taking care of him and were going to put him to sleep, he's a perfectly healthy little dog. Luckily someone intervened and took him and now i have my little boy! I would definitely jsut tell your daughter Cricket went to heaven and leave it at that, but what a horrible thing to do

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I really doubt that they will ever even consider getting another pet. Like I said, these are my grandparents, my daughters' great-grandparents. They are retired and like to travel. I just don't think they thought Cricket fit in with their lifestyle anymore.
I used to dog-sit for cricket in my home when they travelled, for $50 a week and she NEVER had an accident, even when we had to leave her in a strange house. Its so sad and strange too. They had a farm dog that lived to be 25, Sugar, and they were taking her to the vet weekly because she was ill. Maybe she wasn't such a "burden" because she lived outside and wasn't in position to ruin their new carpets. Oh, well. It makes my blood boil.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is such a sin.... I am shocked that a vet would do this over a behavioral issue. And I can't believe that they wouldn't turn her over to a rescue group or no-kill shelter, explaining her issues, then maybe she could be re-trained by a professional and placed in a home where there will be a person home most of the time. We were worried about my kitty scratching the furniture (we had brand new expensive furniture, and didn't plan on finding a kitty), and when I asked the vet about declawing and remedies she told me that they will only declaw as a last resort, if all other options were exhausted. She recommended several things (including soft claws which we use), and clearly stated that she does not approve of declawing, but if the animal is physically scratching children, furniture, etc and it comes down to giving the animal in to a shelter, they would do the procedure. It is appalling that a vet would do such a thing.

As far as your daughter goes, I would probably tell her that Cricket died and went to heaven, and hope that she does not ask too many questions. Then if she re-visits the topic with your grandparents, and they tell her the entire truth, you can explain your feelings to her, that this is horribly wrong, and that you do not approve of what they did. Best of luck with Annabelle....RIP Cricket.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, poor Cricket. I can't beleive they wouldn't look further into her issue before Putting her down..That's too sad.

yarra

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well,

maybe the vet DIDN"T do it. Maybe the vet just put the yorkie under and kept her for himself after she woke up!

That is what I am going to believe in my little head.

I find it interesting that your grandparents would rather PAY to have the dog euthanized, then SELL it for what it was worth! (or even give it away for that matter, even that is more free than PAYING to kill the dog)

I would tell Annabelle that the doggie moved to a new home with new friends. 3 year olds don't understand death. Being gone forever is not a concept they can wrap thier heads around. Make up some cute story about the pup and how great her life is now. Leave it at that.

The three and a half year old I nannied had to have his doggie put down, and it was really sad seeing him TRY to understand death. He was really only mimicing his parents emotions though. It was odd.