I am really, really proud (really, really long)

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations Laurie and Gary!!!!!!

Wow, what a dynamic couple you are
Kudos to you both :tounge2:

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful story about you two (the write up, I mean). Although, your whole lives are a wonderful story.
Thanks for sharing it with us. I really enjoyed reading about what you guys actually do for a living.

I have to agree with you about this site, in general. Hubby was an internet/chat room junkie for years and I never understood how he could consider people he had never met to be his friends. Well, now I understand. I consider many, many people on this site to be friends.

Hey, you know going on the road again may not be too bad for you...You could probably meet up with more members of TCS than any of the rest of us could!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi - I'm absolutely laughing! ...but it could be the REAL road trip - who's providing the spam? ROTFL!

...I can never tell if I'm "talking" too much, but we do lead an unusual life, and we are definitely different. And you don't know the half of it yet!

Want some more? Again, the short version.

Meet my husband, Gary:

Gary, now dis-owned, is the son of a wealthy family. He played on the Jr. PGA tour, skied pre-olympic, played one hole of golf with Frank Sinatra at age 10; played one hole of golf with Nixon at 11, played three holes of golf with Spiro Agnew and Brzinski at 11. He was cast as the Page in La Traviata (opera) at 12 (on Chicago's equivalent of Broadway, not the school play), left home at 15, and since then is completely self-made. He received a special dispensation to trade commodities board at age 19 (and turned $25,000 for his investors into $1.2 million in one year), then moved to Israel, where he immediately volunteered for the army. His U.S. Citizenship was suspended because he wanted a combat unit. He served in the Israeli Defense Forces for almost 9 years, and fought in the Israeli war against Lebanon from 1982 - 1985. The Israeli Army has only field promotions during war, and he went from basically "new recruit" to Master Sargeant within 2 1/2 years. He is three times decorated. He moved back to the States and "reclaimed" his citizenship in 1990 when Iraq invaded Kuwait. He felt he'd served Israel well already. When he moved back here, he got a job on the floor of a paper plant and worked his way up fast and furiously. He became the youngest Regional Manager ever at the age of 30 - he was responsible for 6900 employees, 23 plants and $1.6 billion in sales. No wonder I'm proud.

And no wonder he had a breakdown. He became an alcoholic and essentially had a kind of nervous breakdown. He packed what he wanted into his car (Saabi) and drove to Seattle to see an old mutual friend of ours. It was then he decided to look me up again (found my parents just one month before they retired and moved to GA from IL. They gave him my number at work). And we got him all fixed up and totally changed both of our lifestyles. We were both divorced and started completely over at age 30. He had what he had in his car. I had my ex-husband's debts. So while we're in a "sexy" industry (well - during the 90s it was), we've chewed out our little piece of it, and he is now our firm's Chief Investment Strategist. I'm proud of that too.

We had one of his medals (made of 18 karat gold) made into our wedding rings.

All this stuff really is like a fairy tale for me.