I am officially a cat killer!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know I would be feeling the same way as you are. It's a feeling no one can talk you down from. I still remember my first car "accident" and that was a skunk, over 12 years ago!
I'm sorry.

And I just had a thought...better to be run over and killed quickly than to freeze or starve or be killed some other horrible way outside where she didn't belong in the first place.
All things happen for a reason, maybe that thought of you spared her suffering will ease it...if only a little.

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is sad. I feel your pain. I once hit a deer. It was in Wisconsin. It was night time. I saw a small group of deer on the road and braked hard . I hit a doe. I remember the sight of her head rolling up and smashing on the hood of the car and then rolling off to the side. I pulled over and cried.

It could of been worse. I was OK, but I was frightend and shocked.

I am sure you know it was not your falt, but knowing that does not make you feel any better.
Huggs.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh honey, I feel your pain too. Years ago, I was driving down a road near home and there was a cat in the middle of my lane. I couldn't swerve to avoid it, all I could do is make sure the cat was in the centre of the car so I could drive over it without squishing it. I pulled over, and it was alive, but injured, and hissing and growling at me, but couldn't move. I didn't know what to do, and was standing in the middle of the road trying to flag down someone to help me, but everyone kept just going around me.

A dog walked came by, and helped me pick the cat up in her jacket, and we discovered a tag, so I called the owners, who were right nearby and so distraught. She was a gorgeous Persian, and I don't know if she made it.

Every time I drove past that spot for weeks I would tear up, so I avoided it when I could. For ever more though, every time I drove past that spot I thought of the kitty. I was so upset thinking about how freaked out this kitty was, and what it must have been like for her to see my car coming, then have it pass right over her head without her being able to do anything.

This will haunt you for a long time unfortunately, and you will never forget it, but I think there's so many cats and dogs outside that it happens to everyone at least once.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, you are NOT A CAT KILLER!! Get that in your head first. You had no control over the situation. If you had slammed on your breaks, with no care for the cars behind you to go you could have caused human deaths. You did what you had to do. A "cat killer" is someone that goes out trying to kill cats. You love your cats and we all know that (and your kitties DEFINITELY know that!) and they are who is important right now.

I wish I could take the sound out of your head, but the only thing that will do that is your own mind once you forgive yourself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

First of all, you are NOT A CAT KILLER!! Get that in your head first. You had no control over the situation. If you had slammed on your breaks, with no care for the cars behind you to go you could have caused human deaths. You did what you had to do. A "cat killer" is someone that goes out trying to kill cats. You love your cats and we all know that (and your kitties DEFINITELY know that!) and they are who is important right now.

I wish I could take the sound out of your head, but the only thing that will do that is your own mind once you forgive yourself.
I know, but it made me feel worse because it almost looked like a snow bengal. I am going to get to see my aunt's bengals tonight so it makes me feel guilty.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Duchess15

I know, but it made me feel worse because it almost looked like a snow bengal. I am going to get to see my aunt's bengals tonight so it makes me feel guilty.
you shouldn't feel guilty - it'll keep you from enjoying your visit!
are you going to choose one tonight?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

you shouldn't feel guilty - it'll keep you from enjoying your visit!
are you going to choose one tonight?
No, just going to meet them. The litter that I was to pick from didn't survive. I'll have to wait until next month or for the next cycle. It would have been a perfect christmas gift, but just wasn't meant to be.