I Am New

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all. I have been lurking for a little bit on this site and it has helped me with learning about cats more.

Some background:
Growing up, my parents never entertained the idea of getting cats because they didn't like them, never had them. One day while my sis and I were playing outside, our aggressive dog saw a cat and I grabbed him before he ran after him. He was a white cat with orange tabby markings. My grip somehow loosened and the dog bolted after the poor little guy and caught him. Then he ran on the deck and started the shake of death, to which I ran as fast as I couls to get away and opened the garage door and there was the little cat right behind me to get in the door! He ran into our living room and after trips to the vet and convincing my parents let me keep him. My dad named him Dexter. That was 20 years ago...

I got married 10 years ago and after our third, my husband missed having cats so we got a free kitten who looked a lot like Dexter. He was cute and small but he made me so nervous! He would always sleep with my 6 month old son and I couldn't take it so I sent him back to his family. Fast forward to a year later when we spotted a few mice in the house. After talking to the neighbors, it seemed we somehow al had this problem.
My husband decided to try a cat again. I was still nervous from last experience do I set out to foster a rescue cat to try short term. They asked me what kind. I said I don't care as long as it is good with kids. They brought over a beautiful siamese tabby who apparently hates other cats and was sick and needed medication from all the stress.

Daley became our favorite cat and everytime one of the kids cried, she was there next to them to calm them.

Almost 5 years later, I wanted to try to care for a kitten again but husband did not go for it. One day at the pet store we saw a very large tuxedo male who caught our eye so we contacted the shelter and asked if we could see if my cat would accept him before comitting long term. They said yes. I watched all the videos on how to introduce cats and followed all the steps. At first, it didn't look good. Slowly they became ok with each other. My first cat was scared but he reassured her he was not going to fight by laying down and closing his eyes everytime she came near. So now they are pals. His name is Teddy bear. He doesn't mind my kids picking him up and loves to play almost all day and also wake up everyone in the early morning to play.

Thanks for reading. I would really looove to foster a pregnant mama cat one day but right now house is very full.
I have no pics of the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for all the errors I can't seem to find where to edit

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-374762.gif
Fish Em, on behalf of at The Catsite community, a warm
graphics-welcome-676454.gif
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Great that you've finally decided to get a fur ball. Hope to see photos of your cat :camera:

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm glad you decided to join the site and introduce yourself after lurking for awhile. You mentioned you didn't have any photos of your cats. If you have a camera or camera on your phone please feel free to take a pic and post it with your introduction. Here's the instructions to post a pic:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fish Em

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the welcome. Everyone seems very nice here! I might post pics when needed.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! It is a great place to discuss and learn about cats! If you can post pictures, we would love to see your cats!