I am looking for the perfect toy!!

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vincent has this little red pom-pom ball that has little tiny fine ribbon-like "hairs" on it and it's soft and small (the size of a craft store pom-pom. We got the pom-pom as a gift from my boyfriend's coworker who had a cat who didn't want a bunch of stuff. 

It quickly became his favorite and longest lasting toy. He will play with it for hours and even taught himself how to fetch it so we can throw it across the room for him to chase!!! (Vincent is extremely destructive and bitey so everything small like that is just demolished in a day.) Despite him ripping off some of the "hairs", this toy is virtually indestructible but there is one problem....I keep catching him trying to SWALLOW it! 

I want to replace this toy asap so he doesn't gag himself on it any longer. I want something that is shiny and soft (crinkle balls are GREAT but they don't even last a minute once they hit the floor) He has to be able to carry it in his mouth but not able to swallow/choke on it! Something we can throw across the room and be able to get some distance would be awesome, Vincent is an inside cat and the exercise he gets from fetching is his main source of activity!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah! Yes it looks just like those "tinsel" balls! I don't know where his ball is right now or else I'd have posted a picture...I really hope he didn't swallow it!!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ah! Yes it looks just like those "tinsel" balls! I don't know where his ball is right now or else I'd have posted a picture...I really hope he didn't swallow it!!
Oh, goodness I hope not!  We had a small wooden pig with two little piglets.  One day, I noticed we were a piglet short.  I accused DH of sucking it up in the vacuum cleaner, but he maintained that Garfield must have swallowed it.  The piglet has not turned up to this day, but Garfield lived a long and happy life.  He never got sick after the incident, so I still suspect DH.  

Speck has a favorite toy that was sent by a TCS Secret Santa.  He carries it around and plays with it often.  It looks like a combination between a crinkle ball and a large pom-pom.  I have no idea where my Santa got it, but he hasn't torn it up as of yet.  And he is pretty destructive with his toys.    

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vincentthecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Oh, goodness I hope not!  We had a small wooden pig with two little piglets.  One day, I noticed we were a piglet short.  I accused DH of sucking it up in the vacuum cleaner, but he maintained that Garfield must have swallowed it.  The piglet has not turned up to this day, but Garfield lived a long and happy life.  He never got sick after the incident, so I still suspect DH.  

Speck has a favorite toy that was sent by a TCS Secret Santa.  He carries it around and plays with it often.  It looks like a combination between a crinkle ball and a large pom-pom.  I have no idea where my Santa got it, but he hasn't torn it up as of yet.  And he is pretty destructive with his toys.    
Haha a wooden piglet? Now that's a strange thing for a cat to swallow. I remember my cat back home (with my mom now) in California liked to go out and swallow WASPS. Out of all the possible things!! She'd usually throw them back up and they'd be all in one piece but I thought it was so strange and it stressed me out like nothing else haha.

I only live by a petsmart right now and I have no residence at the moment to order online but as soon as I see an oversized tinsel/pompom ball, I am definitely going to try it! I didn't even know they made them for cats until now. The only toys still "alive" are the rolling ball tapped in a plastic donut thing and ta couple sturdy partially wooden toys.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That shop only has the 1 left for sale.  So you might want to pick it up until you can find another supplier.  Do you have a friend or relative that you can use their address?

Last edited:

caelesto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been making kitty toys for my cats out of old holey socks and catnip--filling the socks with catnip and tying knots at the ends. They LOVE them, and as long as I use socks that aren't too thin material-wise, they don't seen to rip even with the cats tearing at them with claws and teeth.