I am home. . . . .

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Oh my! That is tough. I can't really see how you can live without your cats. Is there no such place that does allow pets?

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm very sorry to learn of these awful developments! How can your "family" just up and decide what's to become of you? Are they, whomever they are, going to go to court in an attempt to have you declared incompetent? How can your "family," for even a moment, think of excluding your beloved cats from your life? That is cruelty, madness and selfishness all rolled into one!

You've always seemed such a strong person. I can't accept that you've no alternatives apart from those dictated by your "family." Please don't roll over and give up on their account! Surely you've friends who can advise and help you at this time, so that you can continue to enjoy a lifestyle which includes your dear cats.

In the event, something must be done to stop this rush to put you away in a "home." You are quite correct in that once there you'll be left there, no matter who buys what kind of house. It's a tried and true tactic which I've seen happen time and again; and all of this has its basis in greed: Somebody in your "family" stands to make money from your absence — and, for them, it's full speed ahead so you'll not have the time necessary to determine humane alternatives.

Were I you, I'd make every attempt to counsel with an attorney-at-law who has experience in this phenomenon of rushing people off to "homes" so as to get them out of the way. Once your "family" goes to court in order to take control of your life, it's all over but the breathing.

=^..^=

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

threeleggedkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anne, Katie, Joe; Trust me, "I will not go gracefully into that great goodnite. . . . . " and they know it. So far I have not been able to find a subsidised apt. that allows pets; let alone more than one!!! And my $200 a month plus having to pay utilities would not cover much toward any apt. in anything else but gov't. subsidy housing.

My family would never succeed in declaring me "incompetent" (I don't think). I am smarter and fiestier than all of them put together!!!

I am checking into rather or not they can legally deny a pet to residents of Public Housing. There may be a fee involved but I know they will never allow multiple pets. . .

The reason I cannot live on the first level of my sister's house is because there is no longer running water or a functioning bathroom on that level. The plumbing was so old and in bad repair, that in order for her to service the second floor flat; she had to by-pass service to the first floor flat. I have a bedroom down there with limited electricity (no air-conditioning) and I use a portable commode if I need to pee overnite.(sorry about that, but that is the truth)
I carry drinking water and ice cubes back and forth in a cooler from the second floor kitchen.

When I get up most mornings it takes me about 30 to 45 minutes to climb the stairs to the second floor to feed the cats, etc. because the pain is so bad I have to stop on the landing and sit down to rest or my blood pressure would soar. Now with the added edema (swelling) the task is sometimes worse. Once I get upstairs, I try not to come down again until bedtime so going down to answer the front door or, worse yet, to go down to basement(three flights of stairs)for landry is out of the question. . . . .
(I don't get many visitors

unless they call ahead first or have their own key) Sandra is very good about helping with the laundry and going down to the back yard to feed the dogs and change their water.

So, that, kids, is my life, and why there have to be some changes made. Joe, I know that you are not trying to scare me;
Believe me I know that if they "ship me off" I will not return to be a part of the "New House"

Well, it hasn't happened yet; but maybe now you know why I was so upset to have to spend more time than anticipated in the hospital!

Suggestions still welcomed . . . TLK
=^.".^=

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How I wish there was something I could do to help you! This isn't fair, that you should ever be kept apart from your wonderful cats. Of course, I'm sorry to know (as I hadn't before) the extent to which you've mobility problems.

Something must be done to help you! If only I knew what. I shall continue to keep you (and your cats) in my prayers. Please let us know what transpires from day to day.

=^..^=

swalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Darlene... This is so sad. You cannot go live somewhere among strangers and without your cats. Move to Oregon and you can live with me and my kitty

Correct me if I read this wrong, but do you have two years until the house will be sold? How much longer do you think you will be in the home? This is quite a dilema. It doesn't sound fair for any of you. I am going to think of some ideas, as I am sure everyone else will also.

You and your kitties are in my thoughts. Let me know if you need
anything.

Shannon

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my Goodness!!!!!

I'm sorry, I haven't been on myself that much due to personal illness...Darlene, when I read of this shoddy deal that's happening to you I'm freaking out!!!
What can I do!???? What time frame are you looking at right now? My prayers are with you.
I have something in mind, but I don't know when or if this will happen for me, so I'd rather not say, but...I pray that I move...let's just say that for now...Pray for me that I move and I'll have you down here in a heartbeat! With your cats!!!! This is horrible!

You're so loved
Darlene,
We can't allow this to happen to you!

Love Always,

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Darlene...I wish there was SOME way that I could help you!!!! This is really upsetting me...your family doesn't seem to know you as well as we do, and it is horrible that they could even ask you to give up your cats, for another place to live....Oh honey....my heart goes out to you....I wish like crazy you lived closer, I would take care of you, and your cats. I feel like you are kinda the mom I never really had. I love you, as do all of us, please let us know if there is ANYTHING we can do to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

illusion

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Darlene! It's so nice to see you back!

I am sorry to hear of your situation. I hope everything turns out OK for you. I don't understand why you couldn't have pets in gov't subsidised housing. How many pets do you have? COuld you share a place with your sister?

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oooooh! What a rotten thing to happen! I'm all steamed up for you. I hope it doesn't come down to you going into subsidized housing, but if it does, you might still be able to keep your cats. Under the Americans with Disabilities Act service animals can't be barred. That includes emotional support service animals. I'm not certain of the procedure, but you might not need anything more than a note from your doctor saying that you require your cats to maintain your emotional well being. I'll see if I can find out more about this and let you know.

alexnell

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found the government website about the ADA, but couldn't find anything specific to this situation. They do have a phone number to call if you have questions. The website address is http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/ada/adahom1.htm . I'm not sure if your service animal has to correspond with your primary disability or not. The lady who told me about the emotional support animal exemption she got for her dog had mental illness as her disability.