I am getting very disappointed with vet hospital

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think you should start from scratch with the new vet; blood work, meds, everything.
And I would seriously ask the new vet about the doses of the meds you've been using up till now, to make sure they haven't harmed your cat.
Poor thing, going through all this! Vibes for your cat

iluvdevons

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Steroids are usually avoided when treating the herpes virus as it lowers immune defenses and the virus is allowed to replicate more rapidly.
Is there a reason why your cat is on oral anti-virals? One of my cats has anti-viral eye drops, but that is due to corneal ulcers caused by herpes in his eyes. Anti-viral meds can be very toxic and typically aren't given orally unless the cat is truly bad off.
From my experience, I can recommend 250 mg lysine twice a day, and from my experience, 30 IU of alpha interferon given via oral syringe daily in a 7 day on, 7 day off cycle has made all of the difference! (I would see another vet with more background regarding the herpes virus.) Good luck and hope your kitties feel better!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fathom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am assumeing he is on anti-virals because they "think" he has a virus, but they don't know what kind since they have not actually run any tests. I asked the dr. about testing ofr Herpes and he said there is no real test for it but they can send a culture to some university for $600. Is that true?

misskiwi67

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fathom

I am assumeing he is on anti-virals because they "think" he has a virus, but they don't know what kind since they have not actually run any tests. I asked the dr. about testing ofr Herpes and he said there is no real test for it but they can send a culture to some university for $600. Is that true?
yep, pretty much. Almost every cat has been exposed to herpes, so the antibody test tells you what you already know. Since the virus is usually sequestered away until stress, you can't really catch them during viremia, so antigen tests don't work well either.

Diagnosing a specific viral disease in cats is mostly based on clinical signs, many of which overlap...

PaulLopez03

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I trust you do locate a right place to obtaining your treatment and you recover your vet to great wellbeing, the absolute best of wealth and do keep us educated on your advance.

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ Wow . The first veterinarian sounds strange . Glad you looked for another ! Sorry you are having so much confusion .
By the way - welcome to the vet merry-go-round . I am sure many here have been through this as have I .
Best of luck ... :catman::sunshine: