I am getting really impatient!

fryguymoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Twelve days ago my daughter caught the last unfixed cat at the colony we have been trapping.  We had planned to get her fixed but my daughter (age 17) could see and feel the kittens in the mama. The rescue we volunteer with has taken on the responsibility for vetting and finding homes for this kitty and her kittens, so now she is our foster cat :)  We thought she was really close to giving birth twelve days ago but apparently we were wrong.  I brought her to the vet eight days ago.  The vet said the four kittens would likely be born within a week.  She lost her mucus plug that same day.  It was very light yellow in color and we only saw that once.  Two nights ago her milk came in.  Last night we saw her having contractions and her temp had dropped 0.5 degrees (100.4 to 99.9).  This morning it was down to 99.4.  She is still having contractions but they are not regular.  Some of them hurt her a bit but most do not.  She is spending most of her time in the birthing area she created.  She does come out to snack and she tried to poo with no success last night.

She seems like she is in labor and I know a trip to the vet will stress her out, my concern is the mucus we saw eight days ago.  She has no foul smell.  She did have a tiny drop of pinkish discharge last night.  The vet said to give her another day, do you guys agree?

I should add that the vet confirmed (eight days ago) that she had previously broken her tailbone (years ago according to the caretaker of the colony).  The vet said this would not interfere with the delivery but it is still causing me to worry.  The caretaker also told me this cat hasn't had kittens since she was hit by the car two years ago.  I don't know how this could be possible since she lived in an unregulated colony of 13 cats.

This waiting is making me crazy....

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your concerns are all valid. And waiting is difficult. It truly sounds as though she is now laboring, and if she is not in distress then just wait. I would keep an eye on her in case she experiences difficulty, but one more day, as the vet said, will probably do the job. Keep us posted, and so glad you are fostering this cat now. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fryguymoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her water just broke!  There is something hanging out of her just a little bit and it is slimy and a very light red color, I am assuming this this the sac  of the  first baby right?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hang in there! YAY! Kittens!! I hope everything goes smoothly.

who is that beauty in your avatar pic? what a sweet face!! is that mama kitty?

fryguymoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hang in there! YAY! Kittens!! I hope everything goes smoothly.

who is that beauty in your avatar pic? what a sweet face!! is that mama kitty?
That is one of the feral kittens from the same colony my daughter and I TNR'd  That kitten is either Wanda's daughter or her niece.  She was adopted by a cat show person and now she is a show cat in the house cat category :)  She was adorable.

fryguymoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No kittens yet.  It has now been nine days since we saw what we thought was the mucous (light yellow, looked like thick snot).  Last night that light red goo ball was not  kitten but what looked more like a mucous plug than what we saw before.  It fell out and she ate it.  She is having contractions but then at other times she just lays there and looks like it hurts but we can't see a contractions.  I will be calling the vet when they open, but I wish I didn't have to.  My rescue will pay her vet bills but I will feel very obligated to help a lot and there is no way I can afford costly vet bills for a cat that wasn't even mine 13 days ago and I had absolutely no part in allowing a pregnancy.  It is very frustrating cleaning up messes other people make!  I love kittens, we foster them all the time, I do not like adding to the cat overpopulation problem.  I have to say no to pregnant cats in the future, this is way more stress and worry than I need.  I will be canceled yet another appointment this morning, the contractions are seeming a bit stronger this morning...but I say that every morning!  One way or another, we will have kittens soon.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you will have kittens soon. Of course you are not responsible for the situation, but you are helping this mama cat so much to be safe. It is stressful to wait & worry, but it will likely all be fine without a trip to the vet. Consider the cat must be trying to adjust to the situation as well. You are a good, kind cat lover to do this for her. Hang in there & give us an update as soon as you can! Here's hoping today is the day!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, you will have kittens soon. Of course you are not responsible for the situation, but you are helping this mama cat so much to be safe. It is stressful to wait & worry, but it will likely all be fine without a trip to the vet. Consider the cat must be trying to adjust to the situation as well. You are a good, kind cat lover to do this for her. Hang in there & give us an update as soon as you can! Here's hoping today is the day!
I second that. You are an angel to help this little family. Mama kitty is very lucky to have you there while she has her kittens. I'm sure she appreciates you more than you realize. 

fryguymoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my goodness, I will NEVER TO THIS AGAIN!!!  She just had a kitten, it was born breach and the sac had broken.  The head seemed stuck and when I touched the kitten it was completely unresponsive.  As we put Wanda in the crate she had a contraction and the baby was born., it had been in the birth canal for 14 minutes.  The baby looked dead and only its head was still covered by the sac. Wanda cleaned it up and the baby began it wiggle and eventually cry!   I hope the next three don't traumatize me this much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! Poor mama and baby! So, so happy the baby is alive! A couple more minutes & it would surely have perished. Perhaps your moving mama at just that moment was what was needed to get the baby out in time! Now consider that in this universe we are only given as much as we can shoulder & it all makes us stronger! You are clearly a strong person, and are actually handling this far better than you realize. We are proud of you! Yes, that was a traumatic birth, but hopefully it is smooth sailing now. Please let us know how it's going! All good wishes!

Also, is the first one sucking well already?

fryguymoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The second kitten did pretty much the same thing.  He was breach and spent 15 minutes in the birth canal.  During my frantic call to the vet the kitten was finally born.  Wanda didn't clean him up well, we had to keep putting him in front of her and she would occasionally lick him.  When I noticed he was much colder than the first one we rushed the whole group to the vet.  The first kitten still has not nursed and the second one latched on at the vet.  Wanda will have the last two kittens at the vet and all I have to do now is wait for the phone call and try not to call too much :)  Everything I have read says cat birth is usually pretty simple, this did not seem simple.  Maybe a over-reacted, I don't know.  I do know without us moving Wanda that first kitten was not going to come out and she was darn near dead when she was born.

Wanda is a tortie, and the kittens are pure white, and pure black.  I must say they are pretty darn adorable.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Bless you for your quick actions in getting to the vet! You have very possibly saved all of their lives, including mama. I am thinking that her accident has made this delivery more difficult, which was your initial concern. The mama will be relieved to be spayed eventually and never have to endure this again. As nerve-wracking as this has been for you, it must have been very painful while the kittens were stuck in the birth canal. And yes, this had been highly unusual and stressful, and now I am anxious for an update on the rest of the litter.

Was vet planning to let her labor, or perform a C-section to remove the other two kittens? That would seem safer than stuck in the birth canal.

Prepare yourself to either hand-rear or supplement the first kitten, as it sounds very weak. Hopefully the vet tech will give it some formula while there.

Please update as soon as you know more. You are amazing me with your fortitude and quick thinking!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

The second kitten did pretty much the same thing.  He was breach and spent 15 minutes in the birth canal.  During my frantic call to the vet the kitten was finally born.  Wanda didn't clean him up well, we had to keep putting him in front of her and she would occasionally lick him.  When I noticed he was much colder than the first one we rushed the whole group to the vet.  The first kitten still has not nursed and the second one latched on at the vet.  Wanda will have the last two kittens at the vet and all I have to do now is wait for the phone call and try not to call too much :)  Everything I have read says cat birth is usually pretty simple, this did not seem simple.  Maybe a over-reacted, I don't know.  I do know without us moving Wanda that first kitten was not going to come out and she was darn near dead when she was born.

Wanda is a tortie, and the kittens are pure white, and pure black.  I must say they are pretty darn adorable.
I don't think you overreacted at all.It really sounds like a distress situation and getting medical help for her was a wise move. Try to relax. Wanda and the babies are in good hands. 

I bet they are. Please post pictures after everything has settled and everyone is OK. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also, post pictures of the family when you are able. I love a tortie! White and black babies will be stunning in the nest!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, as above poster said, you did not over-react at all! It is fantastic that you rushed to the vet so quickly.

fryguymoore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been five hours and the last two kittens have not been born yet.  They are at the vet and the vet believes giving Wanda a quiet place is best.  Wanda got belly rubs throughout her labor and craved our attention.  I think she may not feel comfortable enough at the vet to give birth.  Still, she is in the best place as I am certain any other breach babies will also get, "stuck," and the vet can fix that where I cannot.  I am still so worried but happy to report the first two kittens are nursing, warm, and happy.  I can't imagine what this vet bill will be.  My daughter will have to do a fundraiser :) I will post pictures when they are all home.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for the report. Yes, she may have stalled her labor. Maybe some oxytocin would help to move things along. Glad to hear the first two are both nursing well. I hope the other two come soon! Maybe the vet will offer a "foster care" discount. I'd ask. Even 10% helps!