I am getting a kitten tomorrow. I have some questions.

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mordred

I'm really not sure. Since I haven't had a cat since I was a little kid, I'm not sure how they react to sounds. However, when the front door is opening a few times he has run off quickly, but I didn't really think to pay attention whether it was when the key was unlocking it or it was actually opening.
Im starting to wonder if Dakota is blind or deaf. He just doesnt react the same as the rest of the kittens. He doesnt play with the toys, doesnt react when I talk to him and gets spooked when something touches him at first. But hes not a Blue eyed white. Hes got greenish blue eyes.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

Im starting to wonder if Dakota is blind or deaf. He just doesnt react the same as the rest of the kittens. He doesnt play with the toys, doesnt react when I talk to him and gets spooked when something touches him at first. But hes not a Blue eyed white. Hes got greenish blue eyes.
But he is white? How old?

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

But he is white? How old?
Yes hes all white. I cant remember how long Ive had him exactly. But I think hes around 10 weeks. Got him when he was 3-4 weeks as a bottle baby. His brother and sister are also white and they have no problems at all.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is quite possible he is deaf. It's hard to tell with other kittens around, but if he's asleep and you stand far enough away that he can't feel you walking around and make a loud noise and see if it wakes him up. He will still play with toys, but won't be attracted by their noise, but by their action.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any cat (white or bicolor or calico) can be deaf. Lots of times the bicolors will pass on a deaf gene.

My one white rex kitten (gold eye white) was totally deaf. Her dad was a bicolor and mom was a hearing odd-eye white. I found out that the bicolor gene can produce deaf kittens.

Try the key or whistle test on your kitten and see if he can hear.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Any cat (white or bicolor or calico) can be deaf. Lots of times the bicolors will pass on a deaf gene.

My one white rex kitten (gold eye white) was totally deaf. Her dad was a bicolor and mom was a hearing odd-eye white. I found out that the bicolor gene can produce deaf kittens.

Try the key or whistle test on your kitten and see if he can hear.
Yes, both of you
and let us know!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yes, both of you
and let us know!
I tried it on Dakota and I got no reaction from him at all. He was sleeping peacefully and I walked right up clapped my hands beside each ear and he didnt react. The other kittens jumped up right away when I did it to them. So I guess little Koty boy is deaf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mordred

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I needed to let my dog out. My dog was laying on the recliner and Loki sleeping on the couch. My floor is hardwood and I wasn't wearing shoes, so I was pretty quiet and Loki kept sleeping. When I walked by my dog she jumped off the recliner (she has long nails and landed on the wood floor) so that made a noise and Loki woke up as soon as she hit the floor, so I think his hearing is okay

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you both figured it out and now can adjust to dealing with the deaf cat. I was really surprised at my little rex; but we taught her some simple sign language

She was adopted by a loving family that had a deaf dog in the past so they were very familiar with deaf pets and happy to take the kitten home

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mordred

Well, I needed to let my dog out. My dog was laying on the recliner and Loki sleeping on the couch. My floor is hardwood and I wasn't wearing shoes, so I was pretty quiet and Loki kept sleeping. When I walked by my dog she jumped off the recliner (she has long nails and landed on the wood floor) so that made a noise and Loki woke up as soon as she hit the floor, so I think his hearing is okay
Although the dog's weight shaking the floor may have been the thing to wake Loki up...my deaf cat responds to people walking around even because he can feel it through the floor.