I am fuming

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

OMG. As the parent of a kid in special ed, I would be VERY upset. I hope things go well for you at the school.
forget upset - this is illegal. the gym teacher is forbidden BY FEDERAL LAW to treat special ed students differently IN ANY WAY from regular ed students - unless said treatment is required by the disability involved. said treatment must be noted in the ARD paperwork, as well. the teacher can [& should be] sued for non-compliance with the federal requirements for LRE.
can you tell i'm a special ed teacher, btw?

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That is so irritating that the teacher had no empathy for your daughter...it's no wonder students think adults don't care about them now a days...a majority of them don't!!! I don't care whether it IS a 'small' thing like a sweatshirt and a belt, youth want to know adults care about every aspect of their lives, especially at this time of life!!

Give your daughter a hug!

Perhaps, lockers for students who have a hard time remembering their combinations, could have keys, instead; the lockers I had in HS had combinations with a key option on them, for this reason...maybe something you could mention?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

OMG. As the parent of a kid in special ed, I would be VERY upset. I hope things go well for you at the school.
My son is also special ed but he's only 10. I really hope I don't have to put up with teachers being so rude when he reaches high school.
I would have torn that teacher a new you know what!

A special ed student does NOT need to be singled out or looked at as less competent as any other student!

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gods, if our teachers did that to my brother, I'd have broken his skull.

My brother was considered special ed. by the school, but he was certainly smart enough to remember his own locker combination or keep a key around if he knew he couldn't!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was not in special ed or anything, and I still remember being devastated when, in third grade, my brand new coat (with a very nice warm hood) was stolen. We were extremely poor, and this was the nicest coat I had ever owned up to that point.

And we're talking something that happened in 1960.