I am desperate for advice on this issue...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just be sure if you are getting the dogs soon that you have enough time to work with all of the animals.  If you plan on keeping the cats too, you want to have time to spend with all.  I personally would wait a bit and work with the cats and get used to the cats and develop a relationship with the cats.  Then get  the dogs. 

You need to decide if you can have a relationship with the cats.  It is not fair to the cats to keep them confined forever in a room and not have a relationship with you.  This is something you need to think about.  Do you have room in your life for dogs and cats.  I have both and love them all.  Yet, you have to be sure that by bringing dogs into your home, you will keep the cats safe.  You have not answered that part before.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nsav8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would only adopt dogs that were good with cats.  

maureen brad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had 2 cats and 2 dogs for many years. It works fine . Just make sure if you are getting dogs from a rescue that you get cat friendly dogs. Get a tall cat tree. That gives the cat a place to feel safe and get used to having dogs around. The fact that this cat has let you pet her tells me that it is a very frightened stray. God bless you for doing much for theses cats.I was a dog person only until a little black cat at the shelter where I volunteered fell in love with me. h ha I have to admit I didn't have a clue what to do with a kitten when I brought him home.I quickly realized that all my cat friends who advised that 2 cats do better than 1 were right. I was so surprised when I realized I was a 'cat person' as well as  dog person. Now, I realize that cats are my passion in life.

kntrygrl256

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry I don't have any advise but I have had dogs and cats together all my life. They usually get use to each other being around even if they aren't friends.

I have a similar situation, I have cats and my BF moved in with me first of the year with his dog, he's a Blue Heeler and is indoor. My cats were just fine because they were brought up around dogs (outside). Even after all this time I still have to watch his dog because he will aggravate my cats. He don't chase them but he will sit below them and just stare at them.  Needless to say, they aren't happy at all about that. there are many days where they co-exist just fine but sometimes jealousy will override c-existing.

I know you are having a trying time but they came to you for a reason and you have done more than most other "dog" people would. Older dogs are usually the best way to go because they aren't as active as puppies or younger dogs plus many of them probably came from "blended" homes (homes with both cats and dogs).

I wish you the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nsav8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all so much:)  I have so much going on in my life right now...everyone's advice, kind words, and encouragement mean a lot to me.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you dont really want cats i think you should let the kitten get adopted out to people who want it. Thats one less cat in your home.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you would rather have dogs, do try to find a home for the adoptable cat at least.  Feral cats usually don't ever like dogs very much.  They may tolerate an older quiet dog, but a loud, active, younger dog?  No way.  If the dog is already cat friendly, you may be OK, and the black feral guy may never need that much from you, but it's true, animals DO know if they are wanted or not.  Sometimes we can grow to love them by acting as if we do (I've found that to be true with the few I have truly not liked to start with.)