I am clueless here

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All night last night Bacardi kept me awake by attacking our doorknobs. The doors to the rooms were open, so it wasn't a matter of her being confined and not liking it, it was a matter that she was fixated on our doorknobs as if they had been invaded by little green men! Sure hope the meds kick in soon!

debra myers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby, and poor you too! This has to be very disconcerting to say the least. I hope that the meds kick ins soon too and that little Bacardi finds comfort soon!
Deb

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is on clomicalm 20 mg once a day. She has been on it three days now and she is finally mellowing out. The predatory look is out of her eye, though we still can't touch her without her crying out.
But she appears to be more at ease with herself and her surroundings and isn't doing anything bizarre and not hiding in closets or anything so I am hopeful this might work.

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's great news, M.A.! I hope this is just the beginning of the turn-around for Bacardi. Thanks for the update!

Bill

adymarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hopefully Bacardi won't need the meds for life. Hopefully she just needs some leveling and then things would go back to normal for her. Good luck!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her respirations went up to 100 last night! She appeared to be in no apparent distress other than the rapid shallow breathing, but she wasn't panting, there was no fever or other signs of illness, but I have taken her of the meds. I checked the Internet sites and found that the meds they have her on is really only been used in dogs, and is just now beginning to be used in cats. This whole thing has me very puzzled and I wonder if maybe something else is going on that just can't be found.

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh, Hiss, how terrible and frustrating! Very sorry to hear this. I hope you can get this sorted out soon.

Bill

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hissy, I e mailed you, but I would talk to the vet about A) Prozac and if that does not seem to help within a week, I would talk to them about anti seizure medications.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bacardi is now on Kitty Prozac and her respirations have slowed down considerably. Last night, the first time in months, when I called her she actually came across the room and leaped on my lap. She slept there for an hour and although I did not pet her, she seemed quite content to be with us on the couch. She has stopped attacking objects that aren't there, and she is noticeably calmer and nicer. I do hope that something besides drugs will help her long term, but until they figure out what it is that she has, I will keep her on Prozac

sfell

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad for you two! It's so good to hear that the prozac is helping and I wish that you discover the underlying factor quickly. Keep us updated about the little angel

billchamb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hissy,

Fantastic news for you and Bacardi! Very happy to hear it!

What a great pet you are to your cats!

Bill