I am at the end of my rope!!!

cecil87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have an 18 year old cat who I love dearly, however he will not allow me to sleep at night. As soon as I get into bed and turn off the lights he starts to bellow and scream as if he is dying. He first started making theses sounds whenever his litter box was dirty or when he was out of food. Now it is when I go to sleep and sometimes he makes them for no reason at all when I am awake. I realize he is old, however I don't know how much more I can take. He has also started to defecate in my office when I am not at home. I now shut the doors to keep him out. Could someone please give me some advice. He has a GREAT appetite and is still active. He does not have worms and has regular solid bowel movements. I just need to get some sleep, it is starting to effect my health!! Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

bigorangemenace

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a guess but your cat may just be getting a bit blind or hard of hearing in his years? The darkness might scare him because if he cant hear that well or see that well.... he might just be freakign out. I mean, if you had to walk around the house with a mask on and ear plugs making it impossible for you to hear or something, it would freak you out eh? Just close your door and turn on a hall light for the night, or shut him in a different room when you go to sleep, making sure he has a nice comfy bed and his food and potty in there.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Given his age, his night yowling, and his appetite, I would DEFINITELY have him tested for hyperthyroidism. If you've already done that, look into having the Free T4 test done (it can be more accurate). He has a lot of the classic signs. With medication or other treatments, he can be a normal kitty again, and you can get some rest.