I Am At A Loss About My Cat's Food

craftygal

I am at a loss about cat food
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not posted for awhile. I had 2 cats (Tiger) tabby, 8 yrs old. I had another cat (Boo) all black male 8 yrs old. He had diagnosis of pancreatitis, he wouldn't eat for days, then no w I called the vet and they put him in hospital, putting IV fluid to get him some nutrition. still at the hospital wouldn't eat for 2 nights. They brought him to home seeing he might perk up in his his home. They gave me syringes with fluids and gave him. No success. Two days before he was supposed to get ultrasound, he couldn't wait, he was on the couch with me. Gurgling or moaning at that moment, I cried so much and asked god to take away any pain he had.

I had have Tiger now, paying all my attention to him. He cries or whines and dont know if he could still grieving since Boo passed. He looks around, jumps on the bed. As far as his food, he's eat a few spoons and walks away. I give him fresh in the morning. I have giving him Fancy Feast pate. He loved it. Now he seems to be on a hunger strike. If anyone out there could give me advice on some wet food. He never cared for dry. Vet said it could food allergy. What is the allergen in the food. Please for my peace and sanity, I don't want him to starve because he shuns the food.

2cats-mom

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very much possible that Tiger is still missing Boo. Is this the food they always ate? did they eat together?

Often if it is a food allergy it will be to the protein in the food. Is he eating all of the pate flavors? Chicken, Beef, turkey, fish? And it could be that he is just tired of the food. My guys do that sometimes.

If you have a local pet store you could go in and pick up a can of this and that. Try to find some different proteins, maybe some rabbit? My cats like the Merrick back country, its in a black pouch, they are quite fond of the rabbit. But mainly try some different brands, and different textures as well. pate, shreds, minced. See if there is something he likes. If you need to stick to a budget with food, many of us do, maybe try the Friskies? Shreds and prime filets seem to be popular with a lot of cats.

are you feeding twice a day? some cats do not eat a lot at one meal. maybe 3 meals a day might be better?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
:yeah: In addition, you might try some toppers. crushed freeze dried chicken, turkey, even liver. Parmesan cheese, bonita flakes, even tuna juice.

My guys sometimes go on a food strike with things they love one day. Then in a few days they seem to love it again. You can also try baby food meat only, no onions or garlic. Mine are fond of the ham variety, which is a little harder to find but worth it if you can.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would consider taking him to the vet. It could be coincidental that he's not eating near the time that you lost Boo. My current cats loved the ones that passed away and clearly knew they weren't in the house any more but it didn't stop them from eating. So it is probably best to rule out other health issues.

If it is about mourning, you cat might associate the old food with the trauma of the changes he saw in Boo. I know that when cats themselves get sick they often go off the food they previously loved. I suppose it is possible that your cat is making a similar association.

I second the baby food option. That's a good way to get just plain meat and calories into your cat until appetite returns. My cats like the IAMs delights as a treat and it's significantly different in texture from Fancy Feast. The Nutro loaf foods are a paws up too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
I would consider taking him to the vet. It could be coincidental that he's not eating near the time that you lost Boo. My current cats loved the ones that passed away and clearly knew they weren't in the house any more but it didn't stop them from eating. So it is probably best to rule out other health issues.

If it is about mourning, you cat might associate the old food with the trauma of the changes he saw in Boo. I know that when cats themselves get sick they often go off the food they previously loved. I suppose it is possible that your cat is making a similar association.

I second the baby food option. That's a good way to get just plain meat and calories into your cat until appetite returns. My cats like the IAMs delights as a treat and it's significantly different in texture from Fancy Feast. The Nutro loaf foods are a paws up too.

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank yu for your reply. Never tried baby food ever. As far as Boo, he ate dry, rarely he would wet, mostly dry. But in the morning I gave Tiger fresh can of Fancy Feast (now at least. Then he started not eating half of can. Then I search for other food. I ordered Beyond in different flavors. The verdict is still out.

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
I had a vet come here because Tiger. He needed his vaccines. His vaccines was expired, Boo too. IM taking a trip to family, I refused to leave Tiger alone in the apt. He would freak.
So I talked to vets that board pets and I got three so far. But they need reservations to get him.
my sis from Calif is undecided when she is coming. (waiting for her to decide).

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
:yeah: In addition, you might try some toppers. crushed freeze dried chicken, turkey, even liver. Parmesan cheese, bonita flakes, even tuna juice.

My guys sometimes go on a food strike with things they love one day. Then in a few days they seem to love it again. You can also try baby food meat only, no onions or garlic. Mine are fond of the ham variety, which is a little harder to find but worth it if you can.

craftygal

Young Cat
Purraise
They sort of would get their food (Boo with dry) and Tiger likes only wet in pate form. I tried some of those pouches with chunks of meat from Whiskas. I had to break down the chunks before giving to him, but still the he ate the gravy, left the meat behind.

I never bought Merrick, that is too much for my budget. I got cans of the Beyond, I will see how it goes. You mention about Iam's food, I tried that before, but i didn't jot down if he liked it.

Maybe, he is tired of pate, i never got, flaked, shreds, chunk, minced food. He maybe want those forms of food. Just guessing.

craftygal