I Am An Idiot--onions

lnzsmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our 3 year old kitty just went into the vet yesterday with fever, lethargy, inappetence (super sudden onset, completely fine on Monday, sick on Tuesday). We did bloodwork and leuk and FIV testing and all normal except WBC highish. Started antibiotic. Acting okay, very tired. Wouldn't eat ALL DAY today so I decided to syringe / assist feed. Grabbed chicken broth (in carton) from fridge, not thinking, blended up probably a teaspoon (no more than) with the food, got 18 ml down him (Hill's A/D). BUT just thought about it and yup, the chicken broth had ONION CONCENTRATE in it. Once of several ingredients that were listed as less than 2% but how could I have been such an idiot???? An already compromised kitty and then I force feed him poison. I emailed the vet, I am seriously hoping it wouldn't be considered a toxic dose, he certainly doesn't need that along with everything else going on. THIS IS ALL SO STRESSFUL.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m so sorry your cat isn’t doing well. :hugs: I’m not a vet, but I don’t think that’s a toxic dose. If you don’t get an answer soon, maybe you could call an emergency vet to get their opinion?

Good luck and I hope your cat is feeling better soon. :crossfingers:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's a small dose, indeed, and many broths are made with onion powder, which has the volatile oils that are the real culprits removed. Regardless, that amount isn't going to do any harm.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
So hard when your cat isn't well and off their food. :vibes: :hugs:
I can not imagine the amount of onion in that quantity of broth and at less than 2% will do any harm, I know of a number of cats who have consumed more than that where people have not known about the toxicity, and also with garlic, so I am sure it will not harm him. Try not to worry more over this as your being calm and reassuring with him is one of the best things you can do.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you've heard back from the vet by now, but no matter what, try to do some calming things for yourself to relieve the stress. Our cats can certainly pick up on our stress levels! Breathing exercises are good: slow deep breaths. It is so hard when our kitties are sick, I know. The important thing is that, hopefully, you got some food into your kitty for the time being. It's possible that the antibiotics may cause some nausea in the near future for your kitty so the whole idea of getting food into your cat over the coming days may not be a new one for you. Lessons learned on the onion thing, and I'm sure your vet can recommend some ways to help your cat with any future inappetence until she gets better.
:hangin: Hang in there!