I am a neutral party in the war between my husband and my cat

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a guy, she's a girl, do the math! They're very sensual animals and certainly know which gender we are. My M. Coon princess played up to my husband just the same way and only tolerated me for feedings. My male Russian blue wouldn't let my husband near him, but treated me like we were engaged... It's just part of life... we're all animals after all!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girl kitty prefers my husband too
, but it's mostly just sitting on his lap all the time, not putting on a display like that (ok a little elevator butt if he scratches above the tail).

Is she spayed? Sounds like there's some hormone activity there.

Hopefully, getting a new litter box and having your husband act more consistently with her will make the difference. The poor thing just didn't understand why sometimes he yelled and picked her up roughly and other times he fed her tuna, so in her anxiety she peed on his stuff.

Also, there are a lot of wet foods out there that have some fish, but are better than the people tuna. Try the meow mix cups, they have a good deal of fish in them, but they're also a complete food for cats.

Sounds like you're heading in the right direction and you genuinely want to fix the situation. Welcome again to TCS!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Larke

How did all this turn around and become about food? Your cat has a huge problem with your husband, and you're all talking about tunafish. ???
I think because part of the problem could very well be the food.

If you aren't giving her cat food she is missing out on nutrients cats need to be healthy. People tuna is fine for a treat occasionally, but it should never be fed as a steady diet. Even people are warned against eating tuna too often because of the mercury levels in our fish these days.

Cats don't eat fish "in the wild". You won't see many cats catching fish in the brooks and streams. Cats usually eat mice or small rodents. My cats actually won't eat ANYTHING with fish in it.

As the other posters have said, all that fish may be the cause of the problem. Try as many good quality wet foods as you can (I actually tried well over 10 before I found the ONLY one my kitties would eat - Merrick). Even then they won't touch any of the Merrick's with fish or seafood in them.

If your cat won't eat a quality wet food but will eat Fancy Feast (kitty crack
) then at least feed a quality dry food to supplement her diet.

As for her sexual behaviour toward your husband, I don't recall if you said she was spayed. If not, I'd definitely get that done - sooner the better.