I Adopted A (probably) Week Old Kitten

PurrfectKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need help. I went to a kitten adoption center and wanted to take a cat. When i got there there were 2 kittens (one was taken by anothter person... i wanted to take both) i took the cat.The problem is: the kitten was taken off her mother with 2 weeks!!!!! I do know how to feed. She meows quite a lot... i need advice. Do i need to sleep woth her in my room? Is she too young? I heard that if thwy are taken too soon itll affect their life
Im scared for the cat's sake!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PurrfectKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They wete 2 kittens. A man took one and i took another one

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NO, do not sleep with it. Wrap a heating pad with a towel and turn it on low. Make sure the kitten has a safe place like a dog carrier or box with blankets. Feed every 2 hours. My personal favorite is powdered KMR 1 part to 3 parts goats milk. Do you know how to stimulate for pee and poop?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten is taken from momma too early as you say, but apparently it was some sort of emergency. In such cases its just to do what can be done. Not all shelters has appropriate fostering home lined up.

Exactly how old is the kitten? You are a little unclear here. You can perhaps post a pic or two?

What country are you in? Advices typical for USA are not always working in other countries...

Its good if the kittens nest is in your room, but you dont need to physically sleep with it in the bed. Later on when it gets bigger, it may be nice for both you and cat to sleep in the bed, thought.
But aside of a heating pad, a furry pal = a teddy bear, is good. Observe, if its summer hot in your place you probably wont need no heating pad, Not daytime at least, perhaps in the wee hours when its colder.

Kashmir mentioned an ideal blend: powdered KMR diluted with 3 parts goats milk. They both work alone too! Powdered KMR is a very good brand of kitten mother milk replacement (kmr). But goats milk alone works too.
If you cant get any of these, there are other, more or less good kmr.

Its wise to weigh the kitten every day, to see if it gains properly (minimum 6grammes a day, but most healthy kittens gain 10 grammes or more a day). Also, to know exactly how much the kitten need - it depends mainly on the weight of the kitten. Count with 8 ml / 30 grammes a day. A kitten of 250 gram will need about 65 ml of kmr or goats milk every day.

Keep reporting!

PurrfectKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ill reseaexhon how to stimulate. Thanks for all your help

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old is the kitten? Can you post a picture?

Are you bottle feeding or syringe feeding? How much are you feeding and how often?

You just gently rub the genitals with a warm, damp cloth to stimulate it to pee or poop.

I am surprised that an adoption center would offer kittens so young.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
P PurrfectKitten

The kitten appears to be 6-7 weeks old, and should be able to eat soft foods on its own, as well as drink formula out of a bowl. You can let her lick wet food from your finger to get her started.

Additionally, you should leave dry kitten chow out for it 24/7.

It meows because it is scared. She will calm down as she adjusts. You can certainly let a kitten this age sleep in bed with you.

You will also need to set up a litter box for the kitten.

Last edited:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks like she's at least 4 weeks old. Is she eating solid food (canned food thinned with water or goat's milk)?

Can't tell from the picture...are her eyes still a brilliant blue? If they are changing colors, she is over 5 weeks old and should be eating on her own.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She looks older than 2 weeks. I'd say about 4-6 weeks old. Try feeding her Pate canned food.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her ears are really large and erect to be only 3-4 weeks. What color are her eyes? Can you see premolar teeth when she yawns?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get some pate canned food? She probably can't eat chunks yet. But pate and kitten chow dry food should work.

PurrfectKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her eyes are grey with a touch of green in thee outside. I am feeding wet fod from Whiskas for young kittens. She also uses the liyter box by herself...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If her eyes don't have any blue left on the rims, she probably is around 7 weeks. With the grey color, maybe 6 weeks.

PurrfectKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Also i noticed the title is wrong. I apologise. I meant to say 3 week old cat.
Also the blue rim is very weak on the outside.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At 3 weeks, their eyes are still a "brilliant" noticeable blue. They usually start changing colors sometime during the 5th week and are fully their adult color by 7 weeks. Genetics may create some variability, but eye color is a good way to determine age.

Also if you can see inside her mouth, she probably already has premolars. A 3 week old kitten would only have her baby incisors and no back teeth.